R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-24-2014, 10:18 AM   #6571
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Winthrop harbor
Posts: 2,292
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
It would be interesting to see a dyno slip with the motor from the factory. I'm guessing 9 times out of 10 the motor is already set for peak efficiency from the factory and messing with timing just becomes a mental crutch. There has to be a line where max rpm meets min current draw for a given load. At that point rpm gain is minimal while current draw goes exponential.
Bingo
__________________
Team Novak,Gravity RC,
ercwhtsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:54 AM   #6572
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spring Hill Tn
Posts: 645
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

the only thing I havent seen anyone say about how fast someone else is.

CLAIMER MOTORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That ought to stir the pot a little.
freebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:13 AM   #6573
Tech Champion
 
DARKSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville-Memphis
Posts: 7,645
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Ill bite...whats that?
__________________
Myron "BATTMAN" Kinnard
Team Associated/Reedy Powered/PROTOform/RockStar Paint, LLC
THUNDER JAM IX Snowbirds Warm-up
January 21, 2017 Thunder RC Raceway
http://events.rcsignup.com/events/displayEvent.cfm?id=5313
DARKSIDE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:18 AM   #6574
Tech Champion
 
k_bojar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,917
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
Ill bite...whats that?
normally for a price, the winner's motor is yours - you 'claim' it

that's the bare minimum of the term. I've heard it used a few times for RC racing - kind of as a 'shut the whiners up, or keep folks legit' thing
__________________
Bodies By Bean | Team Belly
k_bojar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:24 AM   #6575
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,278
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
well Ill share how I get my sweet spot, if anybody wants it....

1st I get some really nice flowers....oh wait ...wrong sweet spot, sorry sweatheart...

okay back to motors...lol...my anniversary is tomorrow YUMMY!!!


You can also try this....gear your chassis as low as you can get it...say 3.1 FDR, and set the motor time at 15 deg and go from there....move 2-3 deg at a time and see where you end up....
Congratz!

3.1? That seems like a typo. I bet you meant 3.8... I never used to touch the timing, but have started to play around with it. First I gear for the infield to make sure I can get through the twisty bits. Then I'll go up a couple degrees like you said until the motor starts getting a little warm, then back off and start the balancing act with infield punch Vs. top end gearing and temps. If I can get under 140 for a 5 minute run, I've done well.
__________________
John Higgins
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:44 AM   #6576
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Pell City, AL
Posts: 213
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
I really enjoyed talking to you guys at one lug a couple weeks ago. I am glad to see your machines coming along nicely. I think you guys are in for a lot of fun.
I think we are too. Both looking forward to joining in on the fun.


I'm still green as far as all the motor timing stuff. I have geared mine with 96/54 seems to be running decently quick. The real test will be on the track.
__________________
Never give up!
Traxxas Slash 2wd, Spektrum DX4c, Associated B5m
Wil Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:15 PM   #6577
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 365
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jonesy112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
Congratz!

3.1? That seems like a typo. I bet you meant 3.8... I never used to touch the timing, but have started to play around with it. First I gear for the infield to make sure I can get through the twisty bits. Then I'll go up a couple degrees like you said until the motor starts getting a little warm, then back off and start the balancing act with infield punch Vs. top end gearing and temps. If I can get under 140 for a 5 minute run, I've done well.
Im guessing thats not a typo. On a larger carpet track, i have seen many a FDR in the 3.3 range with full timing, so 3.1 with no timing is very possible.
__________________
Michael Jones

RC America - X-Ray - Team EA Motorsports - RockStar Paint - Apex RC Proshop - ProOne Tires
Jonesy112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:19 PM   #6578
Tech Elite
 
oeoeo327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,343
Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
normally for a price, the winner's motor is yours - you 'claim' it

that's the bare minimum of the term. I've heard it used a few times for RC racing - kind of as a 'shut the whiners up, or keep folks legit' thing
Yup, that sums it up in a nutshell. The difference here is that if a competitor wants to buy another competitor's motor, the winner wouldn't be able to decline the sale.

$90 claimer motors will never fly, since the racer losing a motor should be able to replace what they've got at no net cost to them.
__________________
Founding member of the Solid Gold Racing Team - Mediocrity, redefined...
✯Jackson RC✯Horsham RC✯SJCCR✯
oeoeo327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:49 PM   #6579
Tech Elite
 
SWTour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central Coast...CALIF.
Posts: 2,808
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Their needs to be more structure/rules in a "CLAIM" environment.

1) It needs to be an actual RACER from the class that's doing the claim

2) Must be entered in the race he's claiming.

3) A Claim Rule shouldn't just be a "CLAIM for MONEY" - it should be a "Trade/Claim", the claiming person needs to surrender a "Like" motor (same wind "legal" motor) + a set Dollar amount. ie: $35.00 - $40.00 plus trade

4) The trade motor should be verified that it is in proper working condition.
__________________
Joe Myers
R/C Racing since 1985 ~ Santa Maria, CA (Central Coast)
2001-2012 - South-West Tour R/C Oval Series - R.I.P.
...will the SWT be revived? Time will tell, but we ARE returning to the VELODROME in 2016
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:58 PM   #6580
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,278
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy112 View Post
Im guessing thats not a typo. On a larger carpet track, i have seen many a FDR in the 3.3 range with full timing, so 3.1 with no timing is very possible.
I've never successfully geared a motor that low in VTA. Of course I've never run on a straight longer that 90' either. From some seriously hot motors I've tried to melt in the past (really, really bad math), I just don't think I'd want to start at 3.1 and gear shorter.
__________________
John Higgins
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:23 PM   #6581
Tech Champion
 
k_bojar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,917
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTour View Post
Their needs to be more structure/rules in a "CLAIM" environment.

1) It needs to be an actual RACER from the class that's doing the claim

2) Must be entered in the race he's claiming.

3) A Claim Rule shouldn't just be a "CLAIM for MONEY" - it should be a "Trade/Claim", the claiming person needs to surrender a "Like" motor (same wind "legal" motor) + a set Dollar amount. ie: $35.00 - $40.00 plus trade

4) The trade motor should be verified that it is in proper working condition.
not bad... definitely be good enough to shut some of the whiners up
__________________
Bodies By Bean | Team Belly
k_bojar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:32 PM   #6582
Tech Master
 
NutDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,941
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

The way that i am accustomed to the claim rule working is very similar, but the claim expense was for replacement value (back when ROAR rules specified $28 max for stock motors). $90 might shut some folks up, too. I agree that it must be done by someone in the same class and racing that day. My question is what do you do if two or more folks want to claim a motor? Next closest in finishing order? That one has me stumped.
__________________
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

USVTA member #111
NutDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:57 PM   #6583
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 365
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jonesy112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
I've never successfully geared a motor that low in VTA. Of course I've never run on a straight longer that 90' either. From some seriously hot motors I've tried to melt in the past (really, really bad math), I just don't think I'd want to start at 3.1 and gear shorter.
That was with a 90ft straight (thunder RC in nashville). In order to pull a ratio that deep, you have to make sure the rest of the car is right (carrying good corner speed, VERY free drivetrain, etc) but it is possible.

But Im with you, a 3.1 would make me pucker up a little bit.
__________________
Michael Jones

RC America - X-Ray - Team EA Motorsports - RockStar Paint - Apex RC Proshop - ProOne Tires
Jonesy112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:12 PM   #6584
Tech Elite
 
theproffesor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lugoff SC
Posts: 2,418
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

Im looking for a VTA set up for a new kid getting in the sport that has a TC6. Looked at petit rc and only found 1. And this forum is a bitch to search using a mobil device. Could someone post a couple links. He will be racing on meduim-high bite carpet. Thanks
__________________
Tamiya EVO 6 with EXOSIX conversion
Tamiya TA07
tamiya box stock Mini (M05)
SMC - Motiv motors - Savox - Spectrum - Exotek.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:19 PM   #6585
Tech Fanatic
 
nrtv20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Northwest Ohio
Posts: 879
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTour View Post
Their needs to be more structure/rules in a "CLAIM" environment.

1) It needs to be an actual RACER from the class that's doing the claim

2) Must be entered in the race he's claiming.

3) A Claim Rule shouldn't just be a "CLAIM for MONEY" - it should be a "Trade/Claim", the claiming person needs to surrender a "Like" motor (same wind "legal" motor) + a set Dollar amount. ie: $35.00 - $40.00 plus trade

4) The trade motor should be verified that it is in proper working condition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutDriver View Post
The way that i am accustomed to the claim rule working is very similar, but the claim expense was for replacement value (back when ROAR rules specified $28 max for stock motors). $90 might shut some folks up, too. I agree that it must be done by someone in the same class and racing that day. My question is what do you do if two or more folks want to claim a motor? Next closest in finishing order? That one has me stumped.
Run a hand out motor, something like the Speed Passion or a Trackstar to keep it cheap. Have everyone buy a motor at the beginning of the year, mark them with a number and let people bid on any motors they want to run that week. Split the money between driver and race series for door prizes or victory cash. Do 4-5 points races and give out a cheap trophy plus at the end of the year everyone has a motor to keep.
__________________
http://www.trautengineering.com/ http://www.toledooneeighthracers.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/nrtv20
One Eigth Racers of Toledo; Hobby Stop West Track; "The Gate" NORCAR
FUTABA 2.4G FASST, Spec-R S1, Speed Passion SP-1, Sakura D3 FWD, Kyosho Evolva M3, Team Losi XX-4, Caster EX1.5R, HPI Wheelie King Crawler, Quanum Aquaholic, Joysway Wildcat
nrtv20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] speedsterblade Electric On-Road 5821 11-21-2016 11:39 AM
TeamNovak (U.S Vintage Trans-Am) NovakTwo Electric On-Road 329 12-07-2013 08:48 PM
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing squarehead Electric On-Road 14187 03-21-2012 02:43 PM
U.S. Vintage Trans Am Nationals: April 12th, 2008 squarehead Wisconsin & Illinois Racing 308 05-14-2008 08:56 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:40 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0