R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-13-2014, 11:11 AM   #6511
Tech Addict

Okay, so let's back up... I want more info on the differences between the SS and the Ballistic and the Boss.

I have one of each. All completely stock. All legal. I generally run the SS at max timing (because I was told to) and the Ballistic/Boss at the 45 mark.

What is the difference in RPMs between the motors?

What is the difference in Torque between the motors?

Thanks,

Last edited by .crispy; 03-13-2014 at 11:41 AM.
.crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:25 AM   #6512
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I don't think dropping the timing rule will have a big impact on racing other then giving "most" people one less thing to bitch about. People THINK it will make them soooo much faster then they are currently... It may with some, but I doubt it will with the majority.

I did "most" above because there are a few USVTA Old Timers still running the SS and they may not like the idea... So we could hear some old timers grumble... I do know at least 2 these vta old timers know that max timing is not aways better. Right ? Right Eric???
Travis S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:31 AM   #6513
Tech Regular

Quick question here, newly back in racing, we have a body that fits the vintage year/car type, but it has a wing on it instead of the molded in spoiler. Is this legal/illegal, or depend on the track.

cgolf
Cgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:35 AM   #6514
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by .crispy View Post
Okay, so let's back up... I want more info on the differences between the SS and the Ballistic and the Boss.

I have one of each. I generally run the SS at max timing (because I was told to) and the Ballistic/Boss at the 45 mark.

What is the difference in RPMs between the motors?

What is the difference in Torque between the motors?

Thanks,
Sounds like you are running them all at MAX timing. Even the same motors (ballistic vs another ballistic for example) can and will be be different in RPM/Torque #'s. One factor if a motor has more Torque or higher RPM is the strength of the rotor in it. The higher strength the rotor the more torque but lower RPM. The lower strength the more RPM but lower torque. There is a trade off for both and you try to gear your car to fit that. If you have more torque you can then go up in teeth to make up for the lack of top end. If your motor has more RPM you would go down so you don't lose as much in the infield.

There is a good write up about rotors here: http://www.fantomracing.com/proddeta...?prod=FAN28382

This is just to explain rotors and NO these rotors are not legal and will not work in these motors!
Old 03-13-2014, 11:36 AM   #6515
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgolf View Post
Quick question here, newly back in racing, we have a body that fits the vintage year/car type, but it has a wing on it instead of the molded in spoiler. Is this legal/illegal, or depend on the track.

cgolf
Unless it is the HPI Boss Mustang, the wing would make it illegal for USVTA.

No other legal body has a wing type spoiler.

Also, not all "vintage" bodies are legal for USVTA. Some period correct bodies are not on the "list".
.crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:19 PM   #6516
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis S View Post
I don't think dropping the timing rule will have a big impact on racing other then giving "most" people one less thing to bitch about. People THINK it will make them soooo much faster then they are currently... It may with some, but I doubt it will with the majority.

I did "most" above because there are a few USVTA Old Timers still running the SS and they may not like the idea... So we could hear some old timers grumble... I do know at least 2 these vta old timers know that max timing is not aways better. Right ? Right Eric???

As a driver..........wind um up, max em out, burn and blow them up, doesn't matter to me. You still have to get around me CLEANLY
Old 03-13-2014, 12:24 PM   #6517
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:

cgolf
which body are you talking about?? none of the USVTA-approved bodies have a wing, regardless of whether it comes in the packaging out not. The closest body to having a wing is the HPI Boss 302 mustang - it has a little wing-like that is legal..

all the other bodies can have a spoiler added, if its not molded in the body - but that's about it
Old 03-13-2014, 12:25 PM   #6518
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ercwhtsd View Post

As a driver..........wind um up, max em out, burn and blow them up, doesn't matter to me. You still have to get around me CLEANLY

you also forgot, 'you need to get around me in the corners'
Old 03-13-2014, 01:26 PM   #6519
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ercwhtsd View Post

Did you see me drive at snowbirds. Come on I took out the leader...
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:47 PM   #6520
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:

cgolf
The thing that catches me in your question is the words "Molded in". There are several lip spoilers that are legal as well as the one small wing that is more cosmetic than functional. As demonstrated on the Mustang in the post above. The big wing that comes in the package with some shells is not legal.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:49 PM   #6521
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashrcracer View Post
You know because of that takeout an Awesomatix won the race. Causing people to get all pissy and wanting it banned from USVTA... You just don't realize the effect you have in this! Or maybe you do... LOL And that was your plan all along. Very sneaky...
Old 03-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #6522
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashrcracer View Post
I like to call that being melvined
Old 03-13-2014, 02:50 PM   #6523
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just in case anyone missed it. The atrocity happens at about 5:32 mark.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by snoopyrc; 03-13-2014 at 03:29 PM.
snoopyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:51 PM   #6524
Tech Regular

The body in question is an HPI Vintage Cuda that sounds like it has a touring car wing included as well as a smaller spoiler. I will pull off the wing and put spoiler on.

Cgolf
Cgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:08 AM   #6525
Tech Champion

Quote:
The body in question is an HPI Vintage Cuda that sounds like it has a touring car wing included as well as a smaller spoiler. I will pull off the wing and put spoiler on.

Cgolf
this one:

under the rules, you can only run the spoiler - its probably one of the few that HPI makes that includes the wing.

except for the mustang(s), all of the other HPI bodies all have some kind of rear deck spoiler