R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-06-2014, 11:12 PM   #6436
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac10can View Post
all the cards are stacked in Novaks favor seeing there 25.5 is the only motor that can be used in usvta
You say that like its a bad thing - and it is. FOR NOVAK.

Nobody ever blows one up, so they don't have any repeat customers. Mines almost three years old, works perfect. Still fast.
* Cee Lo Dizzle, the Secizzle * Red Bull * Team Homies * Pintura de Negro Mate * USVTA #152
CraigMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:01 AM   #6437
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac10can View Post
all the cards are stacked in Novaks favor seeing there 25.5 is the only motor that can be used in usvta
The other manufacturers' 25.5 motors can be used in ROAR VTA, where motors don't even need to be ROAR approved to be legal.

There's no incentive for ANY manufacturer to make an "equivalent" product in this case, as we're not discussing a large share of the overall market. I'm pretty sure they're going to focus on selling product being used in the more "popular" marketplace, which wouldn't involve racers and/or sanctioning bodies at all.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:11 AM   #6438
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064

Is the Cirtix still competitive?
Old 03-07-2014, 09:21 AM   #6439
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
Is the Cirtix still competitive?
Yep
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:08 AM   #6440
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

It is really simple:
If you want a class with any brand motor:

run USGT and use a VTA body

Otherwise enjoy what has worked for years and lets you save money not buying the fast motor this week/month. the new D4 is coming
Old 03-07-2014, 07:52 PM   #6441
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeoeo327 View Post
The other manufacturers' 25.5 motors can be used in ROAR VTA, where motors don't even need to be ROAR approved to be legal.

There's no incentive for ANY manufacturer to make an "equivalent" product in this case, as we're not discussing a large share of the overall market. I'm pretty sure they're going to focus on selling product being used in the more "popular" marketplace, which wouldn't involve racers and/or sanctioning bodies at all.
I wasn't just suggesting an "equivalent" motor. I was suggesting that Novak license the design, rent the tooling and even sell parts to other companies that had hopes of making legal USVTA motors. They would be building Ballistic 25.5 motors to such accuracy that any or all parts would be interchangeable with the original Novak. Look it's never going to happen because I can't gather enough pixie dust, or get all the stars aligned or whatever. Aside from that, I think Novak is keeping up with demand just fine. If I want a new 25.5 it won't take me too long to get it.
Nonetheless, Just humor me this idea and then we can all go back to reality in a minute. O.k. I have never seen this happen with RC but in firearms I can think of three good examples. The colt 1911, the AR-15, and Taurus. The first two were designed as military gear and then copied. The latter. The Taurus, at least the particular Taurus that I am thinking was born from a Beretta design, and cut from Beretta tooling. Built with Beretta's help. I am pretty sure that parts are interchangeable with the Beretta as well. Still, its a Taurus. So anyway, we apply this idea to Novak who licenses, let's say Reedy to make a Novak spec 25.5. Novak gets paid for the license and any parts they might sell. They still win. Even if they don't make the motor themselves. Reedy sells a ballistic 25.5 that is fully interchangeable with the earlier Novak motors.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:12 PM   #6442
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
I wasn't just suggesting an "equivalent" motor. I was suggesting that Novak license the design, rent the tooling and even sell parts to other companies that had hopes of making legal USVTA motors. They would be building Ballistic 25.5 motors to such accuracy that any or all parts would be interchangeable with the original Novak. Look it's never going to happen because I can't gather enough pixie dust, or get all the stars aligned or whatever. Aside from that, I think Novak is keeping up with demand just fine. If I want a new 25.5 it won't take me too long to get it.
Nonetheless, Just humor me this idea and then we can all go back to reality in a minute. O.k. I have never seen this happen with RC but in firearms I can think of three good examples. The colt 1911, the AR-15, and Taurus. The first two were designed as military gear and then copied. The latter. The Taurus, at least the particular Taurus that I am thinking was born from a Beretta design, and cut from Beretta tooling. Built with Beretta's help. I am pretty sure that parts are interchangeable with the Beretta as well. Still, its a Taurus. So anyway, we apply this idea to Novak who licenses, let's say Reedy to make a Novak spec 25.5. Novak gets paid for the license and any parts they might sell. They still win. Even if they don't make the motor themselves. Reedy sells a ballistic 25.5 that is fully interchangeable with the earlier Novak motors.
25.5 is the "spec" and novak does not own rights to it to sell to others

Spent a day at the track with a novak, speed passion and reedy, at the end of the day my lap times were the same regardless of the motor used, gearing was a little different for each one but the end result was the same

I like a 1 motor rule, but wish it was just that ... 3 part numbers is not the same as 1

Check it out >>> www.RaceVTA.com <<<
moparSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:41 PM   #6443
Tech Champion

Doesn't matter since it will never happen. I just wanted everyone to imagine with me for a moment. I was talking about every USVTA motor being a clone of the Novak, even if they were made by different brands. That's not the same as a bunch of 25.5 motors. We have that already. Those 25.5 motors do not all perform the same. Parts certainly are not interchangeable. Maybe the rotor and bearings might fit from one to another.

Works fine like it is anyway. I was just having fun saying "What if..."

Sometimes I wonder what the class will do if we can't get wheels and tires. I hate it when a shell gets discontinued. But I really don't worry about Novak. I guess it's because they were there before most of these racers were born.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:29 PM   #6444
Tech Champion

Enough squawk about motors that will never happen. It's Saturday night. Are you guys racing? Where?
Old 03-08-2014, 09:07 PM   #6445
Tech Champion

nope...chilling with the girls and wifey.....but oh boy Sunday,time to put down some laps on the new carpet layout....cant wait
January 2017
Thunder RC Raceway
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:09 PM   #6446
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

For those of us not racing today, here is a history lesson. Did you know that AJ Foyt sat of the pole of the first Trans Am race in 1966? Here's an hour plus video on the history of Trans Am from 1966-1995

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt8ETck0V6I

Thanks to AARCobra for the link.

USVTA member #111

Last edited by NutDriver; 03-09-2014 at 04:21 PM.
NutDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:57 PM   #6447
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Is there a way to help break in tires? Other than running them of course, wont be able to make it out to the track until Friday and race is on Saturday.
Gyr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:08 PM   #6448
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i scuff my tires on asphalt or a rough surface like a sidewalk. sit down on dry asphalt (so you dont get your butt wet) and drag the tire treads across the pavement so you scuff the tread. or you can scuff with sand paper. either works well.
dragonracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:37 PM   #6449
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL View Post
It is really simple:
If you want a class with any brand motor:

run USGT and use a VTA body

Otherwise enjoy what has worked for years and lets you save money not buying the fast motor this week/month. the new D4 is coming
Its not about wanting the motor of the week, its just a few askinga couple harmless questions. Im sure that questions were asked when the jump was made to brushless/lipo. And again when it went from 21.5/25.5.

Also some dont want the speed of the 21.5, they might like 25.5. There are plenty of things that have worked for years and still work great now. An invention like the windmill comes to mind. But then something better, like electric pumps comes along to make things better.

That was said because USVTA is a great class and organization, but snide comments telling people to just drink the coolaid not needed.

Note: I understand that comment was not from a USVTA organizer, and thank you gentlemen for establishing the rukes that are there, and for keeping them up with the times.
SMC - Motiv motors - Savox - Spectrum - Exotek.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:37 PM   #6450
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I ran a set of new D compound fronts at the Scale Nationals this past month and they worked fine without doing anything to them other then one day of open practice prior to qualifying. Worked good enough to make the triple A's.
Travis S is offline   Reply With Quote