Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 04:37 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NutDriver
While I don't intend to cheat, I would like to get the most out of my motors. I found the motor checker that Eric has in his pics, but it's $250 and Speed Passion doesn't make it anymore. What are the preferred methods of checking/testing motors? Feel free to direct me to another thread if needed. :-)

Scott
These give the same readings as the pictures Eric is showing. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAGTT&P=ML You can get it for about 1/2 that price if you're willing to order from china and wait a few weeks.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

hello....

how was your VTA racing this past weekend?...and where did you race?
Old 02-26-2014, 06:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Didn't get to race this past weekend, but I will be racing VTA at Bush River Raceway in Columbia, SC THIS weekend!!
Old 02-26-2014, 07:00 AM
Tech Champion

Masked on a Challenger shell last night. Might get to spray a little tonight.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oeoeo327
This is the LAST thing we'd want. Want proof? Visit the Tamiya TCS and Mini threads to see what "open motor" choices did to the mini class. Choosing one spec motor might seemingly show bias towards one manufacturer, but offers the fairest racing.

Most of the other 25.5s don't appear on the ROAR approval list - why should the USVTA sanction their use if we have no hope of verifying that they offer similar levels of performance between brands?
The Mini chassis has a limited selection of gear ratios that, along with the way the Tamiya rules are currently written, means the motor kV rating is almost the only important number. Even the tallest ratio is way too short for most tracks.

VTA has it much better. Unless you are running under local rules with a restricted FDR, then a small variation in the free-running motor RPM has virtually no effect-- you simply change the gear ratio to compensate.

Yes, the one-brand rule for VTA works very well!
Old 02-26-2014, 07:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by edhchoe
If I had to follow the rule where I cannot go over 45° timing I could be 1° or more off to the wrong side and I would be at a disadvantage. Or I could "accidentally" place the sticker to my advantage a couple of degrees.
But where I race there is no restriction on end bell timing so it's not that crucial for me.
Originally Posted by snoopyrc
I had no idea the tolerance was that great. Now I feel like my best chance of having any power is just to set it where it will turn some rpm and then gear it so it has some punch. Over simplified and probably wrong, but it's what I am thinking.
A difference of a couple of degrees in the motor timing might change the free-running RPM, but it has an extremely small effect on output power. Just change the gear ratio to what the track and car require and you're pretty much good to go.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:22 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
hello....

well I raced at Summit RC in Ft Wayne Indiana in the 2nd RD of the USVTA National Series....Indoor Carpet Nationals!!!!

the racing was a lot of fun and a packed house to boot....lots of fast racers and good atmosphere for any USVTA racer.

I made the A main in GT and VTA, but didn't get that briefcase, so that was Travis and Brian fault...lol

I didn't honestly see one unhappy person all weekend....small issues were taking care of quickly and fairly.

biggest thing was the Rides in GT...any questions?...they work and work well..

also, I didn't have not one person come ask me was such & such "cheating", or thought unfair this and unfair that....maybe Jeremy or Rob did, but nobody said it to me....and that alone made it great, and proves that all the USVTA and USGT rules work when done right with proper tech and eyes

thank you again Rob, 2010 and still going...
Old 02-26-2014, 07:27 AM
Tech Champion

That was such a great post, I am going to forgive you for setting the question up yourself and then quoting yourself to answer it.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

^^

Last edited by Markus; 02-27-2014 at 06:58 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:46 AM
Tech Elite

hello....

Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-happyvta.jpg  
Old 02-26-2014, 08:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by anr211
These give the same readings as the pictures Eric is showing. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAGTT&P=ML You can get it for about 1/2 that price if you're willing to order from china and wait a few weeks.
As a side note, I am hooking these motors to a 27t via a flexible coupler, so they are under a load and not free rev'd.

Please keep in mind, anything we use to check anything, is a reference number, track scale, multimeter, etc. What I use is different from what someone else uses so "our" numbers will or may be different. In any case, as long as I/We use the same equipment every time we check something, the relevance of the numbers is correct for the user.

Enough about stickers and RPM's.................. the old faithful VTA chassis is going back together for some fun
Old 02-26-2014, 08:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
And what would be the tires that are reccomended for high bite carpet? Would those be the same part number or would they be the other only tires allowed in VTA. What about low bite carpet on a cold track in an unheated warehouse. What tires would you use for that? Would those also be the only tires allowed in VTA? Or the other only tires that are allowed in VTA.
Pretty funny, I deserve that. I meant what is the best VTA "style" tire (doesn't need to be legal for racing) that i could use on a Dusty, low bite, asphalt condition.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

No argument here that this is the most fun class.

Do you guys sauce full on the front and set up the car around it?

Or set up the car then vary the saucing depending on the track?
Old 02-26-2014, 08:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigbeej
Pretty funny, I deserve that. I meant what is the best VTA "style" tire (doesn't need to be legal for racing) that i could use on a Dusty, low bite, asphalt condition.
The answer's the same... Of the 3 types of tires that fit the VTA specific wheel, the 4793/4797 combo works best.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I made the A main in GT and VTA, but didn't get that briefcase, so that was Travis and Brian fault...lol
Sure, sure, all our fault! lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.