Old 01-27-2014, 08:51 PM   #6047
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutDriver View Post
That black-and-white Cuda looks GOOD!
2010 USVTA Nationals 10th place....Track at Harbor Hobbies
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-2010-usvta-scale-nats-tc5-cuda-10th-place-main-2.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-2010-usvta-scale-nats-tc5-cuda-10th-place-main-3.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-2010-usvta-scale-nats-tc5-cuda-10th-place-main-4.jpg  
January 21, 2017 Thunder RC Raceway
http://events.rcsignup.com/events/displayEvent.cfm?id=5313
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:10 PM   #6048
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparSRT View Post
if your running on big open tracks go with a 55T, if short tracks then go with 60T spur.
I've heard gearing suggestions like this before. Can you explain why you would change spurs by track type? I may be running the wrong one.

Carolinas R/C Track Directory - https://sites.google.com/site/carolinasrctracklocator/
DarthRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:22 PM   #6049
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthRacer View Post
I've heard gearing suggestions like this before. Can you explain why you would change spurs by track type? I may be running the wrong one.
Just makes it easier to get proper gearing and keep the motor as close to the center (TC4) for better weight dist.

55 will get you from 4.04 to 2.93fdr
60 will get you from 5.36 to 3.49fdr

On big tracks u will run low 3's fdr, on very small tracks low-mid 4's fdr

Check it out >>> www.RaceVTA.com <<<
moparSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:25 PM   #6050
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparSRT View Post
Just makes it easier to get proper gearing and keep the motor as close to the center (TC4) for better weight dist.

55 will get you from 4.04 to 2.93fdr
60 will get you from 5.36 to 3.49fdr

On big tracks u will run low 3's fdr, on very small tracks low-mid 4's fdr
Ahh, I see. I run an FDR of 3.7 on a small-ish track using the 55 spur so I guess I'm good. Thanks

Carolinas R/C Track Directory - https://sites.google.com/site/carolinasrctracklocator/
DarthRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:20 PM   #6051
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to abi787
Questions?? diameter.?????

Hey,does anybody know the tire diameter on the HPI VTA tires.
MRRC Raceway Manorville Long Island N.Y.
abi787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:13 AM   #6052
Tech Champion

its on my setup for VTA on AE site

http://teamassociated.com/pdf/cars_a...rm-up_2013.pdf

http://teamassociated.com/setupsheets/TC6/
Old 01-28-2014, 03:08 AM   #6053
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I just got a new HW Justock in yesterday to replace my SP Revention that I killed. After reading over the paperwork I realized that it's functions are very simular to the SP esc.

It comes with the factory defaults set at;
Forward only w/ brake
10% Drag Brake
3.2 LV cutoff
Level 7 punch (out of 9)
75% Max brake force
0% initial brake force

My question is are you guys that are running the HW ESC just plugging and playing, or are you moving the factory defaults around? The only default I see that I might want to change may be the punch control ( from 7 up to 9).

I have the SP "multi esc programming box" that plugs into the esc, has anyone tried to use that on the HW esc since they are so simular, instead of trying to do it by the buttons/lights/tones?

The HW Justock is a very compact esc, comes with a fan already mounted, and has plenty of wire length for the battery and motor connections which is very nice. For $50 I feel I didn't go wrong with the purchase.

TLR22 / Tekin RS / D4SS 6.5 / Futaba 9551 / ORCA 6000 /SCMOD,
F14 carpet Oval Chassis too!
alloyslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:25 AM   #6054
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abi787 View Post
Hey,does anybody know the tire diameter on the HPI VTA tires.
I measured 2.60" front, 2.66" rear. The rears are bigger because they have swelled a little from tire dope. The tires have no belts, so these sizes are approximate and will change somewhat as they are run.
howardcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:10 AM   #6055
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashrcracer View Post
the advantage of a USVTA approved speed control is for the race director and the other racers at the club level. This is so that don't have to worry IF another speed control is not in blinky. It's not an issue of roar calling them equal.

It's a condition of perceived cheating by someone using a speed control that can be taken out of blinky.
I'm not sure what the problem is. USVTA has a USGT class and that ESC in blinky mode is used there and I don't hear of any problems there. In fact when I raced USGT in Austin last week they were so unconcerned about that they didn't even check the ESCs. At the club level around here we run both USGT and TransAM and we tech the Trans AM cars before every heat. If the Tekin is in the no timing SPEC mode, the 3 middle LEDs are flashing when the ESC is turned on and no power is going to the motor If they are not flashing, its not legal. The ESC can be tech'd before or after each heat. Its very easy to see, even for a nearly blind person like me!

I know I beating a dead horse here; however, I just find it humerous and somewhat contradictory that the same sanctioning body USVTA finds the TEKIN RS PRO ESC with ROAR approved spec software to have some sort of competitive advantage in one of its racing classes (Trans AM) and not in its other racing class (USGT)! I'm rather simple minded - it either has an advantage or it doesn't! IMO, if USVTA has evidence that the Tekin (or for that matter any other ESC) in blinky mode has an advantage, why then did they make it legal for use in the USGT class? If the Tekin does not have an advantage and people want to spend an extra $100 for it (for whatever reason brand loyalty, the color, etc.) and get no competitive advantage why not let them? But if a racer already has one, why require them to buy yet another ESC he/she doesn't need? Just my 2 cents!

I have the hand held programming unit for the hobbywing ESC on my off road buggy. Anyone know if it will work on the hobbywing just stock ESC approved for Trans Am?

Last edited by John Wallace2; 01-28-2014 at 06:30 AM.
John Wallace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:22 AM   #6056
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wallace2 View Post

I have the hand held programming unit for the hobbywing ESC on my off road buggy. Anyone know if it will work on the hobbywing just stock ESC approved for Trans Am?
I am pretty sure that one will work if its a HW

TLR22 / Tekin RS / D4SS 6.5 / Futaba 9551 / ORCA 6000 /SCMOD,
F14 carpet Oval Chassis too!
alloyslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:57 AM   #6057
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wallace2 View Post
I know I beating a dead horse here; however, I just find it humerous and somewhat contradictory that the same sanctioning body USVTA finds the TEKIN RS PRO ESC with ROAR approved spec software to have some sort of competitive advantage in one of its racing classes (Trans AM) and not in its other racing class (USGT)! I'm rather simple minded - it either has an advantage or it doesn't! IMO, if USVTA has evidence that the Tekin (or for that matter any other ESC) in blinky mode has an advantage, why then did they make it legal for use in the USGT class? If the Tekin does not have an advantage and people want to spend an extra $100 for it (for whatever reason brand loyalty, the color, etc.) and get no competitive advantage why not let them? But if a racer already has one, why require them to buy yet another ESC he/she doesn't need? Just my 2 cents!
USGT is a different animal. It allows for the use of any ROAR 21.5 and ROAR ESC combination that the racer should choose or have and experiment with which combination they like or think is fastest for them.

USVTA evens the field, either perceived or actual by limiting it to one motor mfg and a specific list of esc's. For those that were around during the "open" blinky esc's days, it was a nightmare at large races.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:50 AM   #6058
Tech Champion

Once upon a time there was VTA and a few strong clubs in differrent parts of the country realized that they were all running it with slight variations in the rules. They joined together and formed the USVTA to serve as a lighthouse for the class and a keeper of the rules. In its core were people who recognized the class as being a scale model of the historic Vintage Trans Am races that were held in the late sixties and early seventies. Other people said to themselves, "Hey cool. They are racing muscle cars. Lets join in." There then developed a riff between the core of people who had a concept of this class representing the historic races and those who only saw a sports car class. The core wanted more spec items in the mix and the others wanted more freedom. More batteries, more bodies, more wheels, more motors, more ESC's. "Why can't my X be allowed in the class." Because it craps on everyone elses efforts thats why.

Look. As much as I hate to admit it, I was one of the guys that didn't understand. I wanted VTA to be something it wasn't. I personally feel that USGT is a gift to me from Robk and the Jedi Council (Which means Kevin K and some others) It allows a ton of stuff that I had once asked for and keeps all of that out of the USVTA. And if you want to run your Tekin RS on blinky mode in your 69 Camaro, go right ahead, it will make a great USGT car.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:58 AM   #6059
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

The rs or rs pro will most likely never be allowed in USVTA. Nor will any other ESC tbat csn be taken out of blinky mode or have timing added. I think the question is whether the RS Spec with locked timing will be allowed. They are currently testing it and I am sure we will hear something very soon.
SMC - Motiv motors - Savox - Spectrum - Exotek.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:14 AM   #6060
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
The rs or rs pro will most likely never be allowed in USVTA. Nor will any other ESC tbat csn be taken out of blinky mode or have timing added. I think the question is whether the RS Spec with locked timing will be allowed. They are currently testing it and I am sure we will hear something very soon.
and breathe...yummy I love USVTA
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-421121_4037413057030_146632459_n.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-5926_550_vented_endbells1200px.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-user57159_pic1486_1338498652.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-1014443_10151775159114863_372756295_n.jpg  
Attached Images