R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-27-2014, 09:55 AM   #6031
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Winthrop harbor
Posts: 2,292
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady_21x View Post
Agreed, I know for obvious reasons why the RS would not be legal.... I just want to know what the hold up is on the Tekin Spec RS is..... I understand it needs testing but with this many people curious about it it'd be nice to have an answer sooner rather than later.....
In short, because the man who has final say on all things USVTA has not tested/received it yet to test.

There has been some who have ran it independently, ultimately though it has to be tested by Rob as well as a few others under similar conditions.
__________________
Team Novak,Gravity RC,
ercwhtsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:14 PM   #6032
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Marietta, Ga
Posts: 2,087
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Default

So how is testing going for the new Tekin Spec esc? Is it legal yet?
PROMODVETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:33 PM   #6033
Tech Elite
 
wwddww34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 2,555
Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
a buddy of mine is looking to setup his vehicle for VTA. he is running a TC3 from what I recall.

He is looking to do about 4.0 FDR to start with. What spur gears (brand, tooth count) do you guys use in general (48pitch) to get to this ratio without any modifications to the vehicle and still give you a nice range of common 48 pitch sized pinions to use?

Same question on 64 pitch.

Thanks!
Since the Associated TC3 or TC4 has an IDR of 2.5, I found that the only 48 pitch spur I could fit to manage a 4.0 FDR is a Robinson Racing #RRP1855 - 55T/48P Machined Spur Gear. With a 55T Spur and a 34T Pinion you will have 4.04 FDR.

If you go to 64 pitch gears, I found that a Robinson Racing #RRP4178 - 78T/64P Machined Spur Gear works very well with a 49T Pinion, giving you a 3.98 FDR.
__________________
https://www.facebook.com/groups/BananaRaceway/
wwddww34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:49 PM   #6034
Tech Champion
 
snoopyrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tunnel Hill GA
Posts: 5,043
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
later and proper testing is a lot better than straight "NO"...maybe not letting anybody know about whats being looked at is a better option. But I like the idea of intrest in new possible things to USVTA...it serves as a gauge to what might be a good option or better option.

but lets be clear, the possible addition to the esc list (any esc) isn't something the USVTA is willing to do overnight...the USVTA is going to check, double check and triple check by multi racers and tracks.

so in short, like Ive said before, be patient and lets see what happens ,constant post here isn't going to speed things up. Its a process that between real life family jobs and personal crap, time is put into this very NON- profit adventure of trying to expand the USVTA for better....

Thanks
Myron
I'm good right now. I mean I have an esc and a backup, but when it comes to making the Tekin legal, we feel like kids waiting for Christmas. I think we all understand how important it is to protect the class. Most of us anyway.
__________________
www.battlefieldraceway.com Racing videos at http://www.youtube.com/snoopyrc
snoopyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:48 PM   #6035
Tech Elite
 
wwddww34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 2,555
Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
I'm good right now. I mean I have an esc and a backup, but when it comes to making the Tekin legal, we feel like kids waiting for Christmas. I think we all understand how important it is to protect the class. Most of us anyway.
+1
The addition of the Hobbywing Justock ESC gave the VTA Class a boost. I believe that each new item added to USVTA (whether its a new body or an ESC) attracts more racers to the class.

On another note, the USVTA approved ESC list could use some maintenance. Seven of the ESCs listed need to say "Discontinued" since they are no longer available to buy brand new (unless you stumble upon one on eBay or RCtech Sale Thread).
  1. Novak Club Brushless ESC (#1852) Discontinued
  2. Novak Mongoose Micro Brushless/Brush ESC (#1718) Discontinued
  3. Novak GTB 2 Sportsman Racing Brushless ESC (#1708, 1709) Discontinued
  4. Novak GTB series part numbers: 1710, 1711 Discontinued
  5. Novak Havoc Sport series part numbers: 1732, 1733, 1735 Discontinued
  6. Novak Slyder part number: 1712 Discontinued
  7. LRP A.i. Brushless Reverse part numbers: LRP80100, LRP80150 Discontinued
__________________
https://www.facebook.com/groups/BananaRaceway/
wwddww34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:50 PM   #6036
Tech Master
 
IndyRC_Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 1,709
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

For all the people who want the Tekin RS SPEC to be USVTA legal,

What advantage will using the Tekin RS SPEC speed control give you over the currently available USVTA legal speed controls? There must be some reason or advantage (real or perceived) to using the Tekin RS Spec.

-Is it because of availability?
I could see this as a valid argument if a preferred retailer didn't stock any of the currently approved USVTA speed controls. Also many people don't like to buy used electronics or buy from online websites.

- Is it because it is easier to program with a computer?
Perhaps, but for the cost of the Tekin Hotwire (which is required to interface with a computer) you are already at least 1/2 way to the cost of some of the legal USVTA speed controls.

- Is it because you already own a Tekin RS Spec speed control & Hotwire and want to use it for your USVTA car?
I could see this being a valid argument if the person was converting their ONLY on-road car they are racing into a USVTA car and didn't want to buy a new speed control. However even in this case, they would have to buy at least a 25.5 stator (assuming they were running Novak Ballistic), a new body, new tires, and possibly a new battery (unless they were already running a 5000 mah or less battery).

However if someone specifically bought a non-approved Tekin RS SPEC speed control in the hopes that it would be approved for USVTA, then too bad (for now). If you have enough disposable income to take that risk, you could have bought a legal (and possibly less expensive) speed control and would be racing right now.

- Is it because of Tekin brand loyalty or bias against current USVTA legal speed controls?
This is a valid argument because a consumer has the right to support manufacturers/spend their money as they choose. But in racing it is up to the sanctioning/rules body to determine what is legal in any giving class. Luckily USVTA has been fair in their decisions and it has created a very level playing field.

Individual tracks can always opt to use ROAR rules for their VTA racing, if they feel USVTA rules are too restrictive. Just be mindful that less restrictive rules in this case doesn't necessarily translate to better/less expensive racing.

----------

In the end, there is a reason why people want to run a Tekin RS Spec in USVTA. It may be as simple as they like the color of the case or it fits better on their chassis. But I think we would be naive to assume that there aren't at least some people that want to do so to gain a competitive advantage.

We need to be patient and let USVTA fully test the Tekin RS Spec and any potential additions to the rules so that the racing continues to be as fair as possible for everyone.
__________________
I'm currently racing VTA. Check here for rules/info: http://www.usvintagetransam.com/
IndyRC_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:05 PM   #6037
Tech Champion
 
snoopyrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tunnel Hill GA
Posts: 5,043
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwddww34 View Post
+1
The addition of the Hobbywing Justock ESC gave the VTA Class a boost. I believe that each new item added to USVTA (whether its a new body or an ESC) attracts more racers to the class.
I think about the discontinued Cuda when you say that. Wish we could get multiple manufacturers on board with versions of all the shells that could be legal. On the 70 TA I think it's awesome that we have the McAllister and the Protoform to choose from. I would love to see what HPI would do on that. I wish we had multiples of every shell available.

And more wheels, like the steelies that Andy Bailey tried to manufacture on kickstarter.
__________________
www.battlefieldraceway.com Racing videos at http://www.youtube.com/snoopyrc
snoopyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:30 PM   #6038
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
a buddy of mine is looking to setup his vehicle for VTA. he is running a TC3 from what I recall.

He is looking to do about 4.0 FDR to start with. What spur gears (brand, tooth count) do you guys use in general (48pitch) to get to this ratio without any modifications to the vehicle and still give you a nice range of common 48 pitch sized pinions to use?

Same question on 64 pitch.

Thanks!
Robinson also makes a 60T 48 pitch spur that can get you anything between 5.17 - 3.33 according to my chart. 3Racing and Integy make aluminum pinions up to 41T in 48 pitch, with Robinson making 43, 45 & 47T (but no even numbers ). The 43T fits without modifying the motor cam.
Kevin Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:28 PM   #6039
Tech Addict
 
moparSRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
a buddy of mine is looking to setup his vehicle for VTA. he is running a TC3 from what I recall.

He is looking to do about 4.0 FDR to start with. What spur gears (brand, tooth count) do you guys use in general (48pitch) to get to this ratio without any modifications to the vehicle and still give you a nice range of common 48 pitch sized pinions to use?

Same question on 64 pitch.

Thanks!
if your running on big open tracks go with a 55T, if short tracks then go with 60T spur.
__________________
2014 IFMAR Warm-Up Pics >>> www.rcactionpics.com <<<

Check it out >>> www.RaceVTA.com <<<

Last edited by moparSRT; 01-27-2014 at 04:38 PM.
moparSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:37 PM   #6040
Tech Addict
 
moparSRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMODVETTE View Post
So how is testing going for the new Tekin Spec esc? Is it legal yet?
__________________
2014 IFMAR Warm-Up Pics >>> www.rcactionpics.com <<<

Check it out >>> www.RaceVTA.com <<<
moparSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:46 PM   #6041
Tech Elite
 
LasagnaCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Hickory Hills, IL
Posts: 2,035
Trader Rating: 137 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to LasagnaCat
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer View Post
In the end, there is a reason why people want to run a Tekin RS Spec in USVTA. It may be as simple as they like the color of the case or it fits better on their chassis.
From the Tekin website...

"Our mission - Our mission is to provide top quality, made in the USA products for the customer. Our speed controls are manufactured right here in the USA, using both foreign and domestic components. Complete assembly from start to finish happens domestically, the stickers, manuals, speed control housings, product packaging and all artwork are done in the US."

It sounds like they're at least trying to make/keep some jobs here... reason enough for me. Plus, my ('original' Tekin era) BC100L still rocks.
__________________
Well if it seems to be real, it's illusion
For every moment of truth, there's confusion in life...
LasagnaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:47 PM   #6042
Tech Elite
 
mkiiina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Frisco TX
Posts: 2,316
Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
I think about the discontinued Cuda when you say that. Wish we could get multiple manufacturers on board with versions of all the shells that could be legal. On the 70 TA I think it's awesome that we have the McAllister and the Protoform to choose from. I would love to see what HPI would do on that. I wish we had multiples of every shell available.

And more wheels, like the steelies that Andy Bailey tried to manufacture on kickstarter.
FYI the cuda is back
mkiiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:59 PM   #6043
Tech Champion
 
snoopyrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tunnel Hill GA
Posts: 5,043
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiiina View Post
FYI the cuda is back
Really? Just a few days ago the HPI website showed it as discontinued. I guess I didn't need to hoard those Cuda shells, buy that plaster, and build that vacuum former.
__________________
www.battlefieldraceway.com Racing videos at http://www.youtube.com/snoopyrc
snoopyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:15 PM   #6044
Tech Champion
 
DARKSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville-Memphis
Posts: 7,673
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

http://hpiracing.com/en/part/17510
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-skx3p8j.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-2010-usvta-scale-nats-tc5-cuda-10th-place-main.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-17510_17510_07pp_154_115.jpg  
__________________
Myron "BATTMAN" Kinnard
Team Associated/Reedy Powered/PROTOform/RockStar Paint, LLC
THUNDER JAM IX Snowbirds Warm-up
January 21, 2017 Thunder RC Raceway
http://events.rcsignup.com/events/displayEvent.cfm?id=5313
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:22 PM   #6045
Tech Champion
 
DARKSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville-Memphis
Posts: 7,673
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

didn't realize Ive ran a driver figure in my VTA rides since 2008
__________________
Myron "BATTMAN" Kinnard
Team Associated/Reedy Powered/PROTOform/RockStar Paint, LLC
THUNDER JAM IX Snowbirds Warm-up
January 21, 2017 Thunder RC Raceway
http://events.rcsignup.com/events/displayEvent.cfm?id=5313
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] speedsterblade Electric On-Road 5821 11-21-2016 11:39 AM
TeamNovak (U.S Vintage Trans-Am) NovakTwo Electric On-Road 329 12-07-2013 08:48 PM
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing squarehead Electric On-Road 14187 03-21-2012 02:43 PM
U.S. Vintage Trans Am Nationals: April 12th, 2008 squarehead Wisconsin & Illinois Racing 308 05-14-2008 08:56 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:00 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0