R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-25-2014, 12:34 PM   #6016
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady_21x View Post
"stirring the pot" what's the status on the Tekin RS gen2 Spec esc? Going to be approved or not..... I'm not liking my hobbywing justock, seems like a lack of power compared to my gtb2 I had...
$50 speed control vs $115 dollar speed control what is the question? I love my novak gtb2 in my vta ride
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:38 PM   #6017
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

If anyone is looking quinn is selling all his VTA stuff

On and Off road sell out
Brooksphotodesign.net
Flying Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:04 AM   #6018
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashrcracer View Post
$50 speed control vs $115 dollar speed control what is the question? I love my novak gtb2 in my vta ride
Yes but if you already have a Tekin the cost of using it in VTA is zero. The cost of buying a USVTA approved ESC is $50 or more (if they work) and the advantage of the Tekin Vs the others ??? ROAR doesn't seem to think there is with V228 software, so why does USVTA?
John Wallace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:21 AM   #6019
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
I tried a gear diff in my winning tc6.2 vta up front and ran 100,000 AE . Ive never used one up front before but it worked great in my USVTA ride. I run 40 AE in the rear
Not really been into the on-road scene for 5 years since it died in the DC metro area. But the single greatest improvement I made to my touring car (Cyclone TC) that I ran in Trans AM (then 21.5 with boosted ESCs) & some 17.5TC was switching to a spool. Not sure it's worth the aggravation of a front gear diff with that heavy of a wt oil; you're practically running a spool anyway. The spool does take away some steering gong into a turn, which can be compensated by other adjustments, but it makes up for it coming out of the turn. Around here (Austin and San Antonio TX) the fastest boys in VTA still run spools.
John Wallace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:40 PM   #6020
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

What pinion size are you guys using for the Novak Ballistic 25.5?
Breakin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:53 PM   #6021
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

It depends on what the cars internal gear ratio is and what your spur is. It also depends on the track. Tight and technical or open and flowing. Its best to ask the guys at you local track what thier final ratio's are and try and match it.
SMC - Motiv motors - Savox - Spectrum - Exotek.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:56 PM   #6022
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wallace2 View Post
Yes but if you already have a Tekin the cost of using it in VTA is zero. The cost of buying a USVTA approved ESC is $50 or more (if they work) and the advantage of the Tekin Vs the others ??? ROAR doesn't seem to think there is with V228 software, so why does USVTA?
This has been asked and answered a million times. The answer remains the same.

NO.
* Cee Lo Dizzle, the Secizzle * Red Bull * Team Homies * Pintura de Negro Mate * USVTA #152
CraigMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:59 PM   #6023
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
It depends on what the cars internal gear ratio is and what your spur is. It also depends on the track. Tight and technical or open and flowing. Its best to ask the guys at you local track what thier final ratio's are and try and match it.
Thanks.
Breakin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:56 PM   #6024
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
the advantage of a USVTA approved speed control is for the race director and the other racers at the club level. This is so that don't have to worry IF another speed control is not in blinky. It's not an issue of roar calling them equal.

It's a condition of perceived cheating by someone using a speed control that can be taken out of blinky.
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:35 PM   #6025
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Weird
January 21, 2017 Thunder RC Raceway
http://events.rcsignup.com/events/displayEvent.cfm?id=5313
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:45 AM   #6026
Tech Champion

I think somewhere we have gone from asking about the Tekin Spec-R to asking why the Tekin RS isn't legal. (Again) With no clear definition of when the subject changed.

I could be wrong.

Also a spool with 21.5 or 17.5 is not the same as with 25.5 and the legal amount of weight.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:01 AM   #6027
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 206 (100%+)

a buddy of mine is looking to setup his vehicle for VTA. he is running a TC3 from what I recall.

He is looking to do about 4.0 FDR to start with. What spur gears (brand, tooth count) do you guys use in general (48pitch) to get to this ratio without any modifications to the vehicle and still give you a nice range of common 48 pitch sized pinions to use?

Same question on 64 pitch.

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2014, 09:32 AM   #6028
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
I think somewhere we have gone from asking about the Tekin Spec-R to asking why the Tekin RS isn't legal. (Again) With no clear definition of when the subject changed.

I could be wrong.
Agreed, I know for obvious reasons why the RS would not be legal.... I just want to know what the hold up is on the Tekin Spec RS is..... I understand it needs testing but with this many people curious about it it'd be nice to have an answer sooner rather than later.....
Old 01-27-2014, 09:49 AM   #6029
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Quote:
Not really been into the on-road scene for 5 years since it died in the DC metro area. But the single greatest improvement I made to my touring car (Cyclone TC) that I ran in Trans AM (then 21.5 with boosted ESCs) & some 17.5TC was switching to a spool. Not sure it's worth the aggravation of a front gear diff with that heavy of a wt oil; you're practically running a spool anyway. The spool does take away some steering gong into a turn, which can be compensated by other adjustments, but it makes up for it coming out of the turn. Around here (Austin and San Antonio TX) the fastest boys in VTA still run spools.
Come run up at MRH in Baltimore if you ever make it back to the DC area, there is a healthy VTA class and stock touring along with numerous others.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:51 AM   #6030
Tech Champion

later and proper testing is a lot better than straight "NO"...maybe not letting anybody know about whats being looked at is a better option. But I like the idea of intrest in new possible things to USVTA...it serves as a gauge to what might be a good option or better option.

but lets be clear, the possible addition to the esc list (any esc) isn't something the USVTA is willing to do overnight...the USVTA is going to check, double check and triple check by multi racers and tracks.

so in short, like Ive said before, be patient and lets see what happens ,constant post here isn't going to speed things up. Its a process that between real life family jobs and personal crap, time is put into this very NON- profit adventure of trying to expand the USVTA for better....

Thanks
Myron
January 21, 2017 Thunder RC Raceway
http://events.rcsignup.com/events/displayEvent.cfm?id=5313

Last edited by DARKSIDE; 01-27-2014 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Tekin esc
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote