R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-12-2014, 04:08 AM   #5926
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by .crispy View Post
I'm ready. Let's rock!

NICE!!!! But where is the driver figure? HAHAHA!!!! PS How did you keep the mirrors on or did you add those after it became a shelf queen? Those mirros were usually the first things to go on the scale mini coopers when they traction rolled.

These mini class racers got real popular in the DC metro area then just died away like most of on road racing in the Northeast (the two indoor carpet on-road tracks I raced at: The Track in MD and Debbies in Chesapeak VA are now both indoor dirt off road tracks). We were running those cars with 17.5 motors and the daring (not me) were using boosted ESCs. In Austin TX they were running the Cup Racers as a spec class with the brushed motor that came with it (I still have that motor and an ESC if that ever comes back - BTW that motor was used in other spec classes too). But if we were going to run these together with TRANS AM cars, which may be possible with today's lap counting software, I would suggest the 25.5 motor, same ESCs, and same battery. Not sure about the weight (is there space for enough lead to get the M class cars up to 1550 grams?) or the tires (I checked and the spec Trans Am and GT tires are too big to look scale). May be just put the 4.0 FDR limit in and run them as they weigh and with their tires. That way the trans AM cars will blow by in the straights and the small nimble M class cars will eat them up in the turns! What could be more realistic!

Last edited by John Wallace2; 01-12-2014 at 04:22 AM.
John Wallace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:35 PM   #5927
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin33 View Post
Just wondering about some setup help for my xray t3 2012 in vta. My issue is it runs great for the first 3 minutes then gets really tight almost like the rear is gripping too much and causing it to not rotate at all after 3 minutes my lap times go down from 8.1-8.3's to like 8.8-9.0's we run 6 minutes heats so 1/2 second per lap equals about 8-9 seconds or a whole lap on our track. Which kinda sucks because i'm just as fast as anyone else for the first 3 minutes then just fall off and barely hold on to 2 or 3 spot.

So my main question is where should i start to stop this? Our track is medium grip carpet. Should i start with roll centres or sway bars or shocks oil,springs, shock angle? My setup is pretty basic 3.0 front springs 2.6 rear with 35wt shock oil 1.2 rear bar 1.4 front bar. Lower arm roll centres are at 0 2000wt rear gear diff front solid axle medium chassis flex shock angles pretty much in the middle stock camber links and spacers.

Any idea where to start would be awesome thanks guys
Justin I am the furthest thing from a setup expert, but if you are on pace for three minutes and then the handling changes, I have to think it has something to do with tire sauce or tire temperatures. I am suprised none of the faster guys have chimed in, but then again it's the weekend and they are probably racing.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:40 PM   #5928
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I think i might be over working the rear tires just wondering how to get them to not over heat i've tried no using as much traction compound bu that doesn't work at all i have no grip after. I'm using full traction compound front and rear sxt 3.0 if it matters
Justin33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:51 PM   #5929
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If my car suddenly lost 1/2 second per lap at the 3 minute mark, I would try a different battery.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:09 PM   #5930
Tech Fanatic

I'm running reedy wolfpack 5000 25c lipo's with about 4 charges on them and it happens with both i dont think thats my issue. Motor doesn't overheat either speed is not my issue my issue is corner speed it starts getting alot of understeer halfway thru the run and doesn't want to carry any speed in the corners
Old 01-12-2014, 04:24 PM   #5931
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

Quote:
I'm running reedy wolfpack 5000 25c lipo's with about 4 charges on them and it happens with both i dont think thats my issue. Motor doesn't overheat either speed is not my issue my issue is corner speed it starts getting alot of understeer halfway thru the run and doesn't want to carry any speed in the corners
I am no guru like others here, but curious do you do any hot laps prior to the actual race to warm up the tires, etc? It could be you got your setup on point for a "cold" tire setup, versus when they are warmed up.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:34 PM   #5932
Tech Fanatic

I do usually do about 1-2 warm up laps to make sure everything is working ok but not enough to build up any real heat in the tires So u might be right i have a cold tire setup. Any suggestions to get it working better with warm tires?
Old 01-12-2014, 04:39 PM   #5933
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

So you are loosing traction after the tires heat up?
Things to try to gain rear traction - try one at a time.
Lower the rear roll center
tighter rear diff
softer suspension in the rear (try learning the tops of the shocks in one spot)
stiffer suspension in the front (try learning the tops of the shocks out one spot)
less rear droop (less weight transfer to the front under deceleration)

Carolinas R/C Track Directory - https://sites.google.com/site/carolinasrctracklocator/
DarthRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:23 PM   #5934
Tech Fanatic

Actually the opposite it gains too much rear traction and doesn't want to rotate in the corners causing understeer. So i guess i can just do the opposite of what u just said to get what i need???
Old 01-12-2014, 06:15 PM   #5935
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Yes it should work in reverse.

Carolinas R/C Track Directory - https://sites.google.com/site/carolinasrctracklocator/
DarthRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:48 PM   #5936
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Just wondering about some setup help for my xray t3 2012 in vta. My issue is it runs great for the first 3 minutes then gets really tight almost like the rear is gripping too much and causing it to not rotate at all after 3 minutes my lap times go down from 8.1-8.3's to like 8.8-9.0's we run 6 minutes heats so 1/2 second per lap equals about 8-9 seconds or a whole lap on our track. Which kinda sucks because i'm just as fast as anyone else for the first 3 minutes then just fall off and barely hold on to 2 or 3 spot.

So my main question is where should i start to stop this? Our track is medium grip carpet. Should i start with roll centres or sway bars or shocks oil,springs, shock angle? My setup is pretty basic 3.0 front springs 2.6 rear with 35wt shock oil 1.2 rear bar 1.4 front bar. Lower arm roll centres are at 0 2000wt rear gear diff front solid axle medium chassis flex shock angles pretty much in the middle stock camber links and spacers.

Any idea where to start would be awesome thanks guys
I would soften the entire setup personally, 2.6/2.4 and 30 wt with 3 hole pistons. 1.5mm up travel over ride height. rear shocks 1 hole from all the way down and front 2. Rear sway bar attached to the middle ball and no front bar. 1000wt in the rear diff.

Camber links in the middle position with 2mm shim under the ball in the front and 1.5 in the rear.

Short Rear wheelbase and middle front, Front belt semi tight and rear semi loose and reduce your rear toe to 2-2.5

Keep in mind, you may get a thousand answers to your question. I prefer my car to "feel" lazy, ( I compare them to Lincoln continentals :-)) and am never "off throttle".

It may get loose on you after a few minutes but feel good up front, if it does, settle down for a lap or so, and then get back on it
Old 01-12-2014, 06:53 PM   #5937
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
In other words, you are gaining so much rear traction, the car is tightening up and binding in the corners or "parking itself"?
Old 01-12-2014, 06:53 PM   #5938
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Have you temped your tires? What is your process of things you do to the car in between rounds? So each time the car is put on the track you get about 3 minutes of good performance before it starts pushing? What if you pulled the car off the track, did nothing to it for maybe 10-15 minutes, and then ran it? Would it be good or bad?

It sounds to me like something is wrong moreso than a tuning issue. Unless it's tire temp or sauce related. It's an interesting situation...
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:58 PM   #5939
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Actually the opposite it gains too much rear traction and doesn't want to rotate in the corners causing understeer. So i guess i can just do the opposite of what u just said to get what i need???
Also along with some of the other changes that have been mentioned wich are solid change to look at. Look into your esc setup. Not knowing wich esc you've got. Lets say you've got a Novak GBT 2 like I run. look into your throttle settings and brake settings. For one like many others have mentioned here; no drag brake. Throttle minimum voltage settings for when your pull the trigger you've got full and total control. No linear curves. Also be sure your radio end points are 100%. Spectrum radios are a little different. 150 is the 100%.
freebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:02 PM   #5940
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ercwhtsd View Post
In other words, you are gaining so much rear traction, the car is tightening up and binding in the corners or "parking itself"?
Sort of i just need to really get off the throttle so that the front can catch up to the rear grip wise. Maybe its more the front overheats and starts loosing grip? Not sure just cant roll thru the corners like it does earlier in the runs