R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-06-2014, 02:56 AM   #5851
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Wow. Assuming this was a "no timing" or "blinky" mode for said ESC, it sounds like outright cheating on behalf of the manufacturer! Definitely not cool and I hope people aren't running it in blinky classes.
Won't be the first time nor the last time an OEM has cheated. Had fun yesterday despite a broken drive belt (which caused me to miss all of the much needed practice time replacing it) and a striped out servo horn (had to steer left to go straight). But all in all the car handled well just lacked speed in the straight and driver stick time. Hope to get back with you all after I get some much taller gears and I get my motor back from Novak - darn thing had to be pushed to get it to run and then from the speed disparity on the straight, I'm not sure it was 100% even when it was running & Frankie's and my FDR weren't that much different especially considering his smaller bald tires. Not sure how much of the speed difference was due to the motor issue but so far the TEKIN ESC in BLINKY doesn't seem to be any advantage.
John Wallace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:49 AM   #5852
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 206 (100%+)

not sure if anything changed with the tires last time I did VTA, but it seemed the tires I am using feel better out of the box new than stuff years ago I used. work quite well.

wish my USGT tires were as sticky lol.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:49 AM   #5853
Tech Legend

not sure if anything changed with the tires last time I did VTA, but it seemed the tires I am using feel better out of the box new than stuff years ago I used. work quite well.

wish my USGT tires were as sticky lol.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:36 AM   #5854
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Wow. Assuming this was a "no timing" or "blinky" mode for said ESC, it sounds like outright cheating on behalf of the manufacturer! Definitely not cool and I hope people aren't running it in blinky classes.
In the case of this mfg, that was not the case. The "torque mode" was specifically there for their motors and "timing advance feature" was noted as such in the esc's manual when in certain profiles.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:49 AM   #5855
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

no name calling...sorry guys...thx Eric and Rob
January 21, 2017 Thunder RC Raceway
http://events.rcsignup.com/events/displayEvent.cfm?id=5313
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:53 AM   #5856
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
like Ive asked be patient and lets see what we can get done...Tekin Viper Reedy and others want to be part of the USVTA, but we have to make sure there isn't going to be an esc war....

Thanks
Myron
Viper. Hope so. I drive for them and I'll be damned if ill drive any other.
http://www.youtube.com/user/jjlove1217?feature=mhee
https://www.facebook.com/jim.hustins.rc.racer
Jim Hustins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:01 PM   #5857
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

ok...
January 21, 2017 Thunder RC Raceway
http://events.rcsignup.com/events/displayEvent.cfm?id=5313
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:17 PM   #5858
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I meant that with a humorous tone. Not as a jerk. Sometime typing does not convey the mood.
http://www.youtube.com/user/jjlove1217?feature=mhee
https://www.facebook.com/jim.hustins.rc.racer
Jim Hustins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:30 PM   #5859
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I have a question about batteries. Do they require any sort of break in period or need to be cycled before they get into the sweet spot. I bought some new VTA packs from a reputable vendor and they are less than impressive. They are performing the same as my over 1 year old packs that were used in 1/8 off-road too. 2 of the packs charge up to 4750-4800 from 6v, the other stops charging due to max capacity limits at 5500 from 6v. I charge at 10 amps and discharge at 5. That's all my charger will do. All three packs, even the one that hits 5500, loos their punch less than halfway through a race. I run the same line and you can watch my lap times slowly fall after the 3 min mark. by the end of the race, my fast lap time is a full second slower than at the beginning.

Any help would be appreciated. This issue is rather annoying
SMC - Motiv motors - Savox - Spectrum - Exotek.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:34 PM   #5860
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I have heard that new batteries need a few cycles before they start to perform to their ratings. How many cycles are on them now? It shouldn't take long.

Carolinas R/C Track Directory - https://sites.google.com/site/carolinasrctracklocator/
DarthRacer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:44 PM   #5861
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
I have a question about batteries. Do they require any sort of break in period or need to be cycled before they get into the sweet spot. I bought some new VTA packs from a reputable vendor and they are less than impressive. They are performing the same as my over 1 year old packs that were used in 1/8 off-road too. 2 of the packs charge up to 4750-4800 from 6v, the other stops charging due to max capacity limits at 5500 from 6v. I charge at 10 amps and discharge at 5. That's all my charger will do. All three packs, even the one that hits 5500, loos their punch less than halfway through a race. I run the same line and you can watch my lap times slowly fall after the 3 min mark. by the end of the race, my fast lap time is a full second slower than at the beginning.

Is your car "tightening up" during the run and feeling more "locked in"? If so, I would suspect it that is were the time loss may be and not necessarily the battery, just a thought.

I have found that after 3 runs in the car they are usually at were they are going to be.

Now, personally, if a pack after 3-4 runs and then a "deep cycle" comes within 3% of a mfg's sticker, I don't worry about it due to the fact I typically am only using 1100-1500 mah anyway.

I have heard that the shorty packs though, have a noticeable difference in fall off in long runs, but I personally have no experience with them in VTA.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:56 PM   #5862
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post

What is the recommended charge rate from the vendor?

Am I correct in assuming this is the same brand of batteries or maybe even same "model" or are these different?

Personally, if i find the batteries are not performing as you expect, I would contact the vendor and see what can be done about it.

And if your older batteries are that much better, heck I would see about getting more from that vendor (assuming they are different than what you have)
Old 01-06-2014, 02:09 PM   #5863
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthRacer View Post
That's how I run my front tires.... till they fall off. They are just broken in once the tread is gone! The rear tires seem to work better with some tread through.
Agreed, thats how I run my VTA tires. Run them till they pop and maybe 2-3 runs after (joking). Only problem is now running sedan I expect the same level of durability. This swapping tires once every 5 weeks is annoying
mkiiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:07 PM   #5864
Tech Elite

Well my old batts are no longer offered by the manufacturer. All three of the new ones are the same batt from same manufacturer. The packs have only been charged and ran a couple times each. I am in the process of doing some testing now. There may actually be an issue with the charger.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:57 PM   #5865
Tech Elite

Well I think I am going to upgrade my charger no matter what. You guys have any good recomendations. Looking for a not break the bank race oriented dual charger. What do you guys have?