Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 07:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Tekin did do that spec class at iic and that was the debut of it's availability as I understand it. And spec speedo's are becoming more popular. It seems like more and more tracks are getting away from classes with boost. Unless they are running mod.

(LRP not LAP) Sometimes the kindle auto correct is worse than the iPhone.
agree. I ran that class in Vegas(that's where I go the speedo).
Old 01-05-2014, 09:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Maybe a silly question, but I'm curious about some of the ESCs that may have failed. I can only assume that the main criteria is that they proved to be too fast compared to the others? Or they had some other type of advantage? If that's the case, I'd love to hear what ESCs these are 'cause that could come in handy for other classes that don't have an approved ESC list.

I appreciate all of the effort that goes into approving electronics for USVTA. Thanks for taking the time to do this, fellas!
Old 01-05-2014, 10:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tommy R
Maybe a silly question, but I'm curious about some of the ESCs that may have failed. I can only assume that the main criteria is that they proved to be too fast compared to the others? Or they had some other type of advantage? If that's the case, I'd love to hear what ESCs these are 'cause that could come in handy for other classes that don't have an approved ESC list.

I appreciate all of the effort that goes into approving electronics for USVTA. Thanks for taking the time to do this, fellas!
Good thinking, and a VERY GOOD question.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

One speed control had a "torque mode". This was not labelled as a timing mode. However there was a significant advantage on lap time and visually the car was faster. Upon further inquiries, it was revealed to have a low level of esc timing added in the "torque mode".
Old 01-05-2014, 01:54 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by robk
One speed control had a "torque mode". This was not labelled as a timing mode. However there was a significant advantage on lap time and visually the car was faster. Upon further inquiries, it was revealed to have a low level of esc timing added in the "torque mode".
Wow. Assuming this was a "no timing" or "blinky" mode for said ESC, it sounds like outright cheating on behalf of the manufacturer! Definitely not cool and I hope people aren't running it in blinky classes.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Just started racing VTA in December and this is my first set of tires. Is there any rule on racing worn out treaded HPI's ? These tires got me TQ + fastest lap time of the day yesterday here in SA Tx Al's hobbies. Had new set of tires on stand by but never used them. Please take time to press on my pic and view front n rear HPI's to see if legal for racing.

Thanks to all for your time
☆frankie p☆
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-20140105_154920.jpg  
Old 01-05-2014, 02:24 PM
Tech Addict

Frankie, I've run with less tread than that. Can't say that they're any faster or slower than full tread, but I've run them balder than what's shown.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally Posted by Mr.75MHz
Just started racing VTA in December and this is my first set of tires. Is there any rule on racing worn out treaded HPI's ? These tires got me TQ + fastest lap time of the day yesterday here in SA Tx Al's hobbies. Had new set of tires on stand by but never used them. Please take time to press on my pic and view front n rear HPI's to see if legal for racing.

Thanks to all for your time
☆frankie p☆
Club racing I don't think anyone would care, but at the large races I seem to remember visual tread all the way across the tire at the start of the race being required.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:38 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mikel33
Club racing I don't think anyone would care, but at the large races I seem to remember visual tread all the way across the tire at the start of the race being required.
I agree, I've seen that rule. But why?

Tire & Wheel Specifications:
The only tires allowed are HPI tire part #4793 "front" and #4797 "rear", using stock tire inserts provided with tire and any HPI Vintage wheels designed to fit these tires. All other tires and/or part numbers are illegal. Wheels and tires designated as "front" must be used as front tires/wheels, "rear" wheels/tires must used as rears. Five or Eight spoke wheels available in various colors. 0mm offset front wheels and 6mm offset rear wheels are intended for 26mm width fronts and 31mm width rear tires. 8-spoke Vintage wheels from #3805 through #3814, 5-spoke Vintage wheels from #3815 through #3822 and Vintage stock car wheels from #3854 through #3860, Vintage Wheel CC Type #33472 and #33473, Vintage Wheel DTP Type #33474 and #33475 are all legal wheels.

Grinding of tire tread is NOT permitted. Sanding of mold seam to remove seam is allowed. HPI Vintage Slicks and HPI Vintage Performance Tires are not allowed. Tire traction compounds are at the discretion of the track. No other altering, changing or softening of the tire is allowed. Tires may not be belted or changed to prevent "ballooning". All decisions of the race promoter or track owner are final. No "double stuffing" of foam inserts allowed—only single stock vintage tire inserts are allowed.

Absolutely NOTHING in the rules prohibiting it...
Old 01-05-2014, 02:44 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Rob is that torque mode speedo roar blinky legal still?
Old 01-05-2014, 07:18 PM
Tech Champion

The esc was just a sport speedo that as far as I know has never been submitted to ROAR. Just an example of what happens sometimes.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:26 PM
Tech Champion

All decisions of the race promoter or track owner are final......

Races sometimes require visible tread but really it's not a problem since if you run worn out tires at a big carpet race you will soon be doing barrel rolls anyway. It has never been mandated in the rules since for asphalt racing worn out tires are very good and they allow indoor racers to use up their too sticky tires. Beyond that tire wear outdoors can be higher depending on the track and it would be short sighted to tell people they couldn't use up their tires. I've run tires till they blew off the rim outside...
Old 01-05-2014, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
The esc was just a sport speedo that as far as I know has never been submitted to ROAR. Just an example of what happens sometimes.
What brand and model was that? Not that I am planning on getting one, just want the information to make sure I don't get one in error.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The track I had in 2011 was the pad of a tennis court repurposed. The surface I thought was very abrasive, but the racers didn't seem to mind. (Grip was good and consistent.) As it turns out, if you start with plenty of tread it will be nearly bald in the front after three heats and a main, but once it's bald it will wear at a much slower rate. The rear tires held up much better.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

That's how I run my front tires.... till they fall off. They are just broken in once the tread is gone! The rear tires seem to work better with some tread through.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.