R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-10-2013, 12:55 PM   #5671
Tech Addict

[QUOTE=Ol skool nitro; John Wallace2, I don't think the tekin in blinky mode will be a problem unless you start blowing everyone's doors off lol[/QUOTE]

The way I drive, I don't think that will be a problem.
John Wallace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #5672
Tech Initiate

Just taked to Mr.Chris"amain"Brame.. Austin's HobbyTown race director n hate to kill anyones vibe but Tekin Pro esc are not legal for VTA. Thats like me trying to slip in my Orion R10. Only 25 days to get all the legal for Al's January 4th race day.

☆frankie p☆
XRay T4 2013 VTA Firebird Trans Am
CRC 1/12 Alter Ego
2012 Tacoma..title in hand
Mr.75MHz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #5673
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Just bring your VTA and run on the Jan 4th

Hey john, just bring your car and run VTA, you will be given a time frame to comply since you are new. Mr. 75 MHz is not a track director nor is he authorized to speak on our behalf. Yes we do run usvta rules but for newbies and new racers we have extended anyone wanting to run a certain class a certain amount of time to come up to compliance while still participating.
We have never turned anyone away due to not being in compliance and we have been fair in all our decisions as far as rules.
If this were a big race or a regional or national then I would have no choice but to enforce the rules to the letter but since this is a club race and we are trying to gain new racers, we will extend this courtesy.
I am one of the track directors and I do run the races and Jim and I make the decisions that count. Now of course if you decide to race anywhere else before your up to compliance chances are you might not be able to run.
I invite you to run and have fun with us and don't listen to Mr. 75 MHz, he wins his first VTA race up in Austin and now he feels like he is the VTA god.
See you on the 4th of January.

Ol skool
Ol skool nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:54 AM   #5674
Tech Addict

Ol Skool Thanks. I'll go looking for the motor and new tires today, I assume you are using the 4.0 FDR. Most likely I'll only race once or twice a month when my wife messes up my racing Saturday with some social stuff or we have SPURS tickets.

Hopefully it will be warmer the 4th of Jan than its been here the last week. I checked out the off road last Saturday and there was 30 or so guys out there in 32F and gusty wind. I'm an RC addict, but I also have some common sense.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #5675
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default We only run on the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of each month

Hey john, we do not have a FDR restriction nor is there one stated on the USVTA rules site so your covered on that part and for the time being we only run on the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of each month.
I'm hoping too that the weather will be warmer, makes for better racing.
Hope to see you there.

Ol skool
Ol skool nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #5676
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 206 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wallace2 View Post
Hopefully it will be warmer the 4th of Jan than its been here the last week. I checked out the off road last Saturday and there was 30 or so guys out there in 32F and gusty wind. I'm an RC addict, but I also have some common sense.
man, thats hot here!
Old 12-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #5677
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
man, thats hot here!
That is why I live in South Central TX
Old 12-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #5678
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol skool nitro View Post
Hey john, we do not have a FDR restriction nor is there one stated on the USVTA rules site so your covered on that part and for the time being we only run on the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of each month.
I'm hoping too that the weather will be warmer, makes for better racing.
Hope to see you there.

Ol skool
Man I had a hard time finding that 25.5 motor. Al didn't have any and its on backorder at both Stormers and A-Main. Relented and found it on Tower Hobbies. Hope their customer service has improved since the last time I bought anything from Tower (~1983).

BTW I checked the ROAR website and the Tekin RS Pro (both the old version I have and the Gen2 version) are ROAR legal for spec (blinky) with the newest V223 software.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #5679
Tech Addict

Ol Skool I've been running my Trans AM in the drive way getting it ready for when the 25.5 motor arrives. I spent considerable time this evening relocating the battery to get the chassis in better balance. (Thought I had it right but after relooking the spring preloads, I decided to redo it and ended up moving the battery in about 1/4 inch.) One consequence of not wanting to do that again is that when the battery is retaped & glued in place (so it won't move), the tape will obscure the MAH rating of the battery. I've taken pictures of the EPIC 5000MAH 40C battery label just in case anyone has a question. BTW the wife is getting grumpy as I have my off-road stuff on my work table getting ready for this Saturday and my Trans Am stuff is spreading onto her kitchen island. I knew there was a good reason to put in that granite counter top HAHAHA!

Last edited by John Wallace2; 12-13-2013 at 06:55 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #5680
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wallace2 View Post
Ol Skool I've been running my Trans AM in the drive way getting it ready for when the 25.5 motor arrives. I spent considerable time this evening relocating the battery to get the chassis in better balance. (Thought I had it right but after relooking the spring preloads, I decided to redo it and ended up moving the battery in about 1/4 inch.) One consequence of not wanting to do that again is that when the battery is retaped & glued in place (so it won't move), the tape will obscure the MAH rating of the battery. I've taken pictures of the EPIC 5000MAH 40C battery label just in case anyone has a question.
So I know it's none of my business but I'd like to urge you to reconsider taping AND gluing the battery in like that. Many tracks insist that you charge lipos in a lipo safety bag/sack (to preserve your equipment and the track's tables/benches/etc.); if it's glued in permanently it is a lot harder to detect if the pack ever starts to puff; etc. etc. what car/chassis are you running, there should be a better way??
VTA, 1/10 nitro, touring, USGT, F1, and more!
www.speedworldraceway.com
slashdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #5681
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashdriver View Post
So I know it's none of my business but I'd like to urge you to reconsider taping AND gluing the battery in like that. Many tracks insist that you charge lipos in a lipo safety bag/sack (to preserve your equipment and the track's tables/benches/etc.); if it's glued in permanently it is a lot harder to detect if the pack ever starts to puff; etc. etc. what car/chassis are you running, there should be a better way??
Good point! Also it affects any natural flex in the car and creates a tweak!

I am also new to the VTA game and was wondering. I bought my electronics used an Novak edge and motor combo. I through it in the car and everything works but is there any way to tune the esc, drag and stuff? thx
Josh-n-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:04 PM   #5682
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya View Post

I am also new to the VTA game and was wondering. I bought my electronics used an Novak edge and motor combo. I through it in the car and everything works but is there any way to tune the esc, drag and stuff? thx
Go to Novak's website and you can get your info for any adjustments for your ESC in downloadable format. Also your radio should have some adjustments once your ESC is programed the way you'd like.
freebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:31 AM   #5683
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya View Post
Thanks, but I've run it like that since ~2007. If needed, I have charged the car in a lipo sack. The battery is visible so puffing can be detected (if not charged in a LIPO SACK HAHAHA). Its the same battery all that time and so far no puffing and still near perfectly matched with the pack at 8.4V and each cell within 0.001V of each other - (my NIMHs would never have stayed stored for nearly 4 years and been that good). Good point about the Tweak and Flex and I'll be careful about the tweak when I affix the battery to the chassis. The car is an old Hot Bodies Cyclone with battery slots and no lipo tray, so I'm a lot more concerned about the battery getting knocked loose and changing position during a race - that really F-ups the tweak. I'm very old school and prefer having a very stiff chassis and letting the suspension parts do their intended job - in my opinion that's a better way to get predictable, repeatable, and consistent handling than relying on chassis flex, which btw is what we did before we had sophisticated suspension systems (at least in the on-road pan cars).

Last edited by John Wallace2; 12-13-2013 at 06:47 AM. Reason: typo & rewording
Old 12-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #5684
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird View Post
Go to Novak's website and you can get your info for any adjustments for your ESC in downloadable format. Also your radio should have some adjustments once your ESC is programed the way you'd like.
The last time I looked I didn't see it but looked again and found it! Thx
Josh-n-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #5685
Tech Addict

I have 3 Novak edges none of them have a drag brake that any good
5th wheel is offline   Reply With Quote