U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

You're on Page 363 of 724
Go to
  • Daytona Style Summer VTA Championship Race?
    Hello everyone

    I want to put this out there and see what kind of feed back I get. We have a very large oval that is concrete and is super smooth. the Front stretch is 48ft ft wide and I am planning on making a road coarse on it for VTA cars and any others that show interest.

    The track is smooth enough where pan cars ran and didn't realty even mess up the bottoms.

    check video

    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...55980276,d.aWc

    If the vta car can handle it we could even do the road coarse on the front stretch and have the car come out and go around the banked part with a chicane on the beck straight. Like Daytona. Not sure yet. but the opportunity is there.

    We will be running VTA there on a local level but wondered if anyone would be up for a July race in the Laurel Highlands which is consider a great getaway area in the summer due to the wonderful weather.

    Proceed pending a Charity. That is my Wifes part.

    LMK and thanks for taking the time and reading.
  • Where is this?
  • Western PA
  • Quote: There are very few multimeters that can measure low resistances accurately enough.

    I use a homebuilt 1A current source along with a normal, run-of-the-mill DVM to make these measurements.

    One can also use a power resistor and LiPo battery as the current source, with the resistor being about 1 ohm per volt to give about one amp. This is much cheaper than buying a dedicated milliohmmeter, though not as accurate. It works fine for comparing motors.

    At the moment, there is no ROAR rule regarding motor resistance. (If resistance is measured, it is only used as a flag to indicate that a motor might need further examination.) I have written resistance rules, but they have not yet been ratified. Here is the suggested rule for 25.5 motors:

    "The resistance between terminals A to B, A to C, and B to C must be at least 102.1 milliohms at 25C, when measured over a range of 20 to 30 degrees C and multiplied by a correction factor of (1-((T_measured-25)*0.00393))."
    Thanks for chiming in, Howard! Understood. And the quick check is for weeding out folks who like to plop in 21.5 stators (at an otherwise 25.5 location).
  • Quote: Thanks for chiming in, Howard! Understood. And the quick check is for weeding out folks who like to plop in 21.5 stators (at an otherwise 25.5 location).
    Yup, except some guys don't stop at 21.5!

    If anyone is interested in details of measuring stator resistance using the cheapie ($1.21!) resistor method, let me know and I'll start a thread for it.
  • Quote: Yup, except some guys don't stop at 21.5!

    If anyone is interested in details of measuring stator resistance using the cheapie ($1.21!) resistor method, let me know and I'll start a thread for it.
    I'm certainly interested
  • contacted SMC and the new 5000s they have on the way won't be submitted for ROAR approval, so they won't be USVTA legal then if I am going down the right path
  • Quote: contacted SMC and the new 5000s they have on the way won't be submitted for ROAR approval, so they won't be USVTA legal then if I am going down the right path
    Battery Specifications:
    Battery Specifications: 2 cell LiPo hard cased, 5000 mAh limit
  • @Darkside,
    Does your response about the SMC batteries mean that you would allow them at your race without the little "ROAR Approved" sticker(s)?
  • cool if thats the case, I thought they had to be ROAR approved but it looks like only USGT ones need to be?

    http://www.usvintagetransam.com/rules/index.html

    at the bottom

    Quote:
    Battery Specifications:
    ROAR approved hard case batteries
  • Quote: Yup, except some guys don't stop at 21.5!

    If anyone is interested in details of measuring stator resistance using the cheapie ($1.21!) resistor method, let me know and I'll start a thread for it.
    Very Interested. Track Director/Tech Inspector for our local club. any easy ways to identify Modding would be great
  • Quote: Hello everyone

    I want to put this out there and see what kind of feed back I get. We have a very large oval that is concrete and is super smooth. the Front stretch is 48ft ft wide and I am planning on making a road coarse on it for VTA cars and any others that show interest.
    ........

    LMK and thanks for taking the time and reading.
    Way cool oval track! Kind of a butt pucker fest for the marshals though! (watch your ankles) LOL

    Too far for me to attend but good luck with your race idea.
  • Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote: contacted SMC and the new 5000s they have on the way won't be submitted for ROAR approval, so they won't be USVTA legal then if I am going down the right path
    Battery Specifications:
    Battery Specifications: 2 cell LiPo hard cased, 5000 mAh limit
    @Darkside,
    Does your response about the SMC batteries mean that you would allow them at your race without the little "ROAR Approved" sticker(s)?
    If you scan through the USVTA Rules you will not find "ROAR" mentioned anywhere in the rules. It is mentioned in USGT rules, but nowhere in USVTA.
    www.usvintagetransam.com/rules/index.html
    So I would guess that the SMC 5000mAh Lipo (in hard case) is good to use in USVTA racing.
  • Bingo.... it used to say ROAR approved.
  • Thank you for the clarification, gentlemen. Looks like I'll soon be buying some SMC packs.

Similar Threads