R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #5206
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I've run Gens Ace 40c and EAM 70c batteries in my VTA (both 5000 mah) and I really couldn't tell a difference, nor did it show in my laptimes. The EAMs were quite a bit lighter, however, so it frees up weight to corner balance your car to your liking.
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #5207
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Are shorty 5000's legal ?
Thanks.
jag88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #5208
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer View Post
Body Durability
Most of the one-piece VTA bodies are fairly durable, but all of the bodies can last a long time with a bit of prep.

- If possible/practical, make sure the front foam bumper is as close to the lexan body as possible. A cut to fit bumper can be useful (http://parmapse.shptron.com/p/ultima...-bumpers?pp=15)
- Silicon Glue (Shoe Goo or similar) is your friend. Use it (sparingly) to reinforce corners/edges on the inside of the body. When used with fiberglass fabric or dry wall mesh, a body can easily last for many months of racing.
- Check out the U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] thread here on RCTECH for tips/help/photos.

Chassis Durability
Most r/c cars have specific weak points. It can be rear hubs, servo savers, shock towers, etc. Here are a few suggestions.

- Again, a good front foam bumper will protect steering components
- An over-sized or wider body can lessen impacts with barriers. The Parma VTA Camaro or Cuda could be a good option for a new/younger racer.
- Rear nerf wings can help protect rear hubs/uprights on any chassis. BRP makes wings that will fit tub chassis cars (http://brpracing.com/6230.html)
- Tub chassis cars can be less prone to tweaking from impacts during a race (less setup work after the race). However, even a tub chassis can become tweaked/need to be replaced.

Firebird Bodies
Some quick notes.

- The McAllister Firebird is a one piece body. It doesn't come with detailed decals, but is less expensive. You can get a good set of decals from RCTECH username SWTOUR (http://www.rctech.net/forum/12328906-post64.html) or CSEILS (http://www.rctech.net/forum/12396991-post229.html).

- The Protoform Firebird is a two-piece body. You must attach the nose to the rest of the body, but it does come with 2 front "nose-cone" pieces. It does come with detailed decals.

----------

Hope this info helps. Great to hear you are interested in racing VTA with your daughter.

Hey thanks for the mention on the decals... I have some of them for sale on eBay too, a little more money there because of their fees, but easy w/ "Buy it Now"
...will the SWT be revived? Time will tell, but we ARE returning to the VELODROME in 2016
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:39 PM   #5209
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag88 View Post
Are shorty 5000's legal ?
Thanks.
Yes
Travis S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #5210
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Hey everyone, just getting started in VTA. I have a Hot Bodies Cyclone S coming. It has a few aluminum items, but I will bet getting the alum. motor mount and c's. I will be using the spool/one-way in the front and ball-diff in the rear. No idea on servo yet. Im on a super tight budget and have a question; maybe I should be asking the track this one. Why is only The Novak motors legal? I was eyeballing the Speed Passion Reventon Stock/25.5 combo for 73 and change. But its not legal. Thats the price of a new Novak motor alone, and half the price of what people are asking for used motors. Anyways, thanks in advance!
NorCalLump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #5211
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalLump View Post
Hey everyone, just getting started in VTA. I have a Hot Bodies Cyclone S coming. It has a few aluminum items, but I will bet getting the alum. motor mount and c's. I will be using the spool/one-way in the front and ball-diff in the rear. No idea on servo yet. Im on a super tight budget and have a question; maybe I should be asking the track this one. Why is only The Novak motors legal? I was eyeballing the Speed Passion Reventon Stock/25.5 combo for 73 and change. But its not legal. Thats the price of a new Novak motor alone, and half the price of what people are asking for used motors. Anyways, thanks in advance!
Not legal under USVTA but legal under ROAR
Check with your local track to see what rules they are running(usvta,roar,...) The speed passion 25.5R is a great motor on par with the novak, ran both back to back this weekend and had identical times and both coming off the track at 120F, you cant beat the price of the 25.5R, under $40 shipped
Rojna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:09 PM   #5212
Tech Addict

Local track rules say "Novak Only". Meh, that blows. Guess I'll be waiting a couple weeks more...lol. Is it better to get silver can or just pop for the Ballistic one time?
Old 09-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #5213
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalLump View Post
Local track rules say "Novak Only". Meh, that blows. Guess I'll be waiting a couple weeks more...lol. Is it better to get silver can or just pop for the Ballistic one time?
The all silver one is referred to as the SS. I have one of each, the performance is supposed to be comparable. I have found this to be true.
.crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #5214
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
congrads...any links to the event?
I'll be posting a blog on the PROTOform site with all the results and photos. Was a great event, the Lou's Speedway guys put on a great show!
Old 09-30-2013, 07:21 PM   #5215
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 206 (100%+)

How are the boss motors in comparison to the standard novak?

That is a really good deal on the Speed Passion motor and ESC. Where are you finding that? Out here, I think it will be legal.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #5216
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

At SpeedPassion.net, I got a ROAR legal 21.5 (for my USGT car), a NOT ROAR-legal 21.5, a blinky ESC, a motor heatsink with fan, and an LED for my F1 car for less than $140 including shipping.

USVTA member #111
NutDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #5217
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
How are the boss motors in comparison to the standard novak?

That is a really good deal on the Speed Passion motor and ESC. Where are you finding that? Out here, I think it will be legal.
Here you go:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111176602507...84.m1423.l2649

You can also find it on Speed Passions web site; USA warehouse
Old 09-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #5218
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
I've run Gens Ace 40c and EAM 70c batteries in my VTA (both 5000 mah) and I really couldn't tell a difference, nor did it show in my laptimes. The EAMs were quite a bit lighter, however, so it frees up weight to corner balance your car to your liking.
Really? Thats extremely surprising. Ive tested plenty of lipos for vta. And EAM are top 2 anyday
January 21, 2017 Thunder RC Raceway
http://events.rcsignup.com/events/displayEvent.cfm?id=5313
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:17 PM   #5219
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
Really? Thats extremely surprising. Ive tested plenty of lipos for vta. And EAM are top 2 anyday
I'd second that. I experienced pretty good fall off throughout a run with the gens ace. More punch up front maybe, or maybe it just felt like it because it dumped so bad, and this wasn't just one of their batteries. EAM battery never seems to fall off and has that punch throughout the run.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #5220
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Not sure what to say, but I didn't notice a difference. FWIW, our tracks are pretty large and typically more momentum based unlike "point and shoot" tracks I've raced on. Maybe that has something to do with it?
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote