Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 02:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

May I ask what are these tires..? Is that something new..? Something we can use on outdoor...? I might be behind as the VTA is not something I spend hours on....it is just too easy I just drop the lipo in and race. Thanks.

http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/102993/
Old 04-16-2012, 02:33 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Got a question for you hardcore VTA guys....No flamming please as I want honest opinions. If some would rather PM or email me that is perfectly fine too.

Would anyone have interest in a 5000Mah battery with a higher C rating (60ish) like the current crop of 6500mah batteries. It would be much cheaper in price than the higher MAH packs and would be made specifically with VTA in mind. And it would be from a new reliable source.

[email protected] if you prefer.

EA
Old 04-16-2012, 03:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
Im picking, but if I had a 6500 65 Reedy Lipo, not only would I have TQ'd VTA but would had the extra POWER to win in the last few minutes.....double sided sword...
Battman
you lost that race on lap 74 with a 14 second lap and finished 6 seconds behind. I just I didn't teach you enough and will have to put you back in class when you get home.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:11 PM
Tech Elite

/action command: pulls lid off pot and stirs a little

Actually the limit was put in place when VTA ran 21.5 and it was said that it's NOT an issue as you don't pull enough out of the packs to worry about the peak falling off discernibly to notice the loss in power. Now the interesting thing is the limit isn't in place in the USGT class which runs the 21.5 now. So was it even valid for the VTA class when it ran 21.5, which by reason invalidates it for the VTA class now. Other than the cost factor which is then invalidated by 6000+ mah hardcase packs for under $35

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=19169

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=23640

and a good 6000 pack for under $55 and I say good as I run it in my TC car

https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...=cs&pn=REV2011

sorry after all this have to play the devils av!
Old 04-16-2012, 03:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Solara
May I ask what are these tires..? Is that something new..? Something we can use on outdoor...? I might be behind as the VTA is not something I spend hours on....it is just too easy I just drop the lipo in and race. Thanks.

http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/102993/
Howard-

they have been around for awhile, in fact some clubs/tracks went with them as a stop gap, when the 4793/97's became hard to find. I have been told they are slower,less rubber on the conatct patch and have a sharper edge on the side wall.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
/action command: pulls lid off pot and stirs a little

Actually the limit.. Blah Blah Blah... Blah Blah Blah... Blah Blah Blah...

sorry after all this have to play the devils av!
If you see this guy (pic below), please feel free to throw a dart at him.

__________________________________________________ ___________________

---->http://www.rctech.net/forum/texas-ra...obby-shop.html
Old 04-16-2012, 03:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Can anyone explain to me why there is no limit on C rating in VTA? No need to answer that because it is a rhetorical question. The same reasons for allowing any C rated battery in VTA (doesn't help and probably hurts) logically make sense when applied to mah capacity don't they? Logically the rules should be the same shouldn't they? Either both limited, or both open.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Would anyone have interest in a 5000Mah battery with a higher C rating (60ish) like the current crop of 6500mah batteries. It would be much cheaper in price than the higher MAH packs
C rating is really unimportant for me, at least for VTA. We've run the spectrum from 25C to 50+C packs and lap times were similar with all. People have lately been intentionally running lower C rated batteries in VTA with the theory that they'll heat up a bit and provide more power than an 'unstressed' higher rated pack.

The upside would be that we'd be able to use a higher C rated pack in our offroad vehicles as well, running offroad stock the battery is more of a factor. I would imagine that the price-point would be the selling factor across the board, as it often times is. I'd be interested in general, but not specifically for VTA only. Hope that helps...
Old 04-16-2012, 03:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rufus2010
Can anyone explain to me why there is no limit on C rating in VTA? No need to answer that because it is a rhetorical question. The same reasons for allowing any C rated battery in VTA (doesn't help and probably hurts) logically make sense when applied to mah capacity don't they? Logically the rules should be the same shouldn't they? Either both limited, or both open.
The motors are so 'underpowered' that just about any C rating pack will provide plenty of power on demand. The discharge curve (as previously mentioned) is why there's a limit on pack capacity. In a long enough heat, a higher capacity pack won't drop-off in performance as much. One won't affect the outcome of a heat, the other could.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:59 PM
Team EAM

Originally Posted by LasagnaCat
C rating is really unimportant for me, at least for VTA. We've run the spectrum from 25C to 50+C packs and lap times were similar with all. People have lately been intentionally running lower C rated batteries in VTA with the theory that they'll heat up a bit and provide more power than an 'unstressed' higher rated pack.

The upside would be that we'd be able to use a higher C rated pack in our offroad vehicles as well, running offroad stock the battery is more of a factor. I would imagine that the price-point would be the selling factor across the board, as it often times is. I'd be interested in general, but not specifically for VTA only. Hope that helps...
There has always been the theory that lower c rating
Heats up while running but I don't think that vta even puts enough to warm a 20c pack. The higher c rating the more voltage and lower ir the pack will have as long as its a truthful rating in te first place. All packs are over rated to a point it seems.

Thanks for your feed back though. Fwiw these packs would prob sell for around 60.00 I've been told.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:17 PM
Tech Elite

For anyone that hasn't dealt with EA before, I've had nothing but great experiences in the past. Used to buy our brushed stock motors from EA, always tuned great out of the pack and top-notch customer service to boot - kudos all around, Eric.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

EA, are these the same ones we talked about at the BIRDS?...I think if company "A" puts out a lipo, like company "B" did a month ago...and the price is right...the US VTA will love to have a 5000 ??C lipo...
Old 04-16-2012, 04:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ercwhtsd
Howard-

they have been around for awhile, in fact some clubs/tracks went with them as a stop gap, when the 4793/97's became hard to find. I have been told they are slower,less rubber on the conatct patch and have a sharper edge on the side wall.
Thanks Eric...good to know those are old news .
Old 04-16-2012, 04:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Ok here is why's on a few things:

C rating and mah: Really doesn't matter. When you pull around 1000 - 1200 mah on a typical (not 20 minute ) run, the average amps are 10-12 A over the run. So the lowest C rated batteries are able to handle the load. You are also going to be in the fat part of the voltage curve as well. Will a better quality battery with a lower IR, regardless of C rating be better? Yes. Because IR matters 1000x what the C rating does, especially since there is no real standard for C.

5000 mah rule: As all the posts indicate to me, if the rule was rescinded, a large number of racers would buy 6500 60c packs because they are "better". Not everything in the class is limited, but a lot of things are. The rule was changed so that guys can run the Zippy packs and Turnigy packs that are cheap and the offroad guys love so much. I realize that the battery you already own is cheaper, but is it cheaper for all the racers who own sub 5000 packs to upgrade?

USGT rules: USGT is the "next step" on the ladder. It's a little faster, the blinky ESCs are allowed, the motor make is not limited, --it's a little more of everything than VTA. So there is no mah limit.

EA: Seems to me there are guys looking for 5000 packs...just sayin'
Old 04-16-2012, 04:52 PM
Team EAM

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
EA, are these the same ones we talked about at the BIRDS?...I think if company "A" puts out a lipo, like company "B" did a month ago...and the price is right...the US VTA will love to have a 5000 ??C lipo...
Yes but different company.

EA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.