Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Old 04-15-2012, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

+1....the best art of vta racing is the fun factor...if it stops being fun,step back and rethink why you wanted to do this. Also.jm2c..but...go with the 5000 mah...u never know when your track just might decide on a 20 minute main!
Old 04-15-2012, 12:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

For our Last race of the year I am thinking of doing a last Car running race with the 5000mah limit just to see how long it will take
Old 04-15-2012, 12:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by hotrodchevy14
+1....the best art of vta racing is the fun factor...if it stops being fun,step back and rethink why you wanted to do this. Also.jm2c..but...go with the 5000 mah...u never know when your track just might decide on a 20 minute main!
I was thinking the same thing about the 5000mah pack...having never formally raced any of my rc cars, I am really looking forward to getting the TC3 ready for VTA. Just finished painting the body today, turned out nice and considering it is going to end up spending more time against the boards than I would like, it doesn't have to be perfect anyways. Just a few more parts and the car will be ready.

In regards to the fun factor, that is what sealed the deal for me. I don't have the deep pockets that is necessary for other types of RC racing (i like to think i do, but the wife reminds me otherwise) and I like the idea of using an old, outdated chassis and being able to run with the new stuff.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Default NORCAR at The Gate in Brunswick, Ohio

I just found out that they run VTA at The Gate in Brunswick. Its about a 45 minute drive from my house. Needless to say I am stoked. I am anxiously waiting for the parts to finish my car. I have a couple of questions though...

Since the track is a ROAR track, do I have to run a ROAR approved hardcase pack?

Do they have transponders to rent or is that something I will need to purchase before I race?
Old 04-15-2012, 05:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mhelli1975
I just found out that they run VTA at The Gate in Brunswick. Its about a 45 minute drive from my house. Needless to say I am stoked. I am anxiously waiting for the parts to finish my car. I have a couple of questions though...

Since the track is a ROAR track, do I have to run a ROAR approved hardcase pack?

Do they have transponders to rent or is that something I will need to purchase before I race?
Check out our website NORCAR R/C at The Gate or our FB page. WE follow USVTA rules. We do have house transponders. We will be hosting the ROAR Region 5 Championships this coming Fri and Sat. Stop on out and check it out. A VTA class will be offered at the regionals.

chuck
Old 04-15-2012, 06:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by mackin
Check out our website NORCAR R/C at The Gate or our FB page. WE follow USVTA rules. We do have house transponders. We will be hosting the ROAR Region 5 Championships this coming Fri and Sat. Stop on out and check it out. A VTA class will be offered at the regionals.

chuck
Chuck, thanks for the information. I see you are from Elyria, I am up in Lorain. Is there a fee to "rent" the transponder. I'll check the calendar on the NORCAR website, I would like to check it out. Hopefully see you this weekend.

Matt
Old 04-15-2012, 08:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mackin
WE follow USVTA rules. We will be hosting the ROAR Region 5 Championships this coming Fri and Sat. A VTA class will be offered at the regionals.

chuck
so you would not be going by roar rules with the exception of 25.5 motor? I have a tekin and 6500mah battery and ran at the Roar carpet nats in Dallas and was wondering if I could come to the race? weight body tires and driver are legal and I'm running a novak 25.5 motor just wondered about using a roar spec speed control and being over on the 5000 limit on battery like ROAR allowed at the carpet nats?
Old 04-15-2012, 08:23 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by mhelli1975
Is there a fee to "rent" the transponder
No fee to use the house transponders. Just return it to the charging rack between heats, and after racing is complete.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
so you would not be going by roar rules with the exception of 25.5 motor? I have a tekin and 6500mah battery and ran at the Roar carpet nats in Dallas and was wondering if I could come to the race? weight body tires and driver are legal and I'm running a novak 25.5 motor just wondered about using a roar spec speed control and being over on the 5000 limit on battery like ROAR allowed at the carpet nats?
Yes to the ROAR spec ESC. I don't see what the problem is with a battery > 5000 mAh, especially since ROAR doesn't specify a limit, only a ROAR approved pack. Who wouldn't like to have their own Dirty Dirla in the house?
Old 04-15-2012, 10:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
I don't see what the problem is with a battery > 5000 mAh

Does anyone? It may have made sense at one time, but could someone provide a good reason for the 5000 mah limit?

Recent decisions on the rules have shown flexibility and common sense. New technology (X-Drive) was added to the GTB 2 esc that may give it a smoother throttle feel, more "resolution" , but since there was no measurable improvement in lap times, (and maybe because you couldn't tell an X-Drive unit from a non X-Drive unit) it was approved. One well known racer was technically out of spec with the rules regarding add on spoilers, and even though it may have improved the lap times of that body, since other bodies come with spoilers, custom spoilers of a reasonable size can now be added to bodies that don't come with them. Both of these recent decisions are reasonable, show flexibility, and take into account reality.

There is no C limit. Why is there a mah limit? It is easy to make an argument that it actually costs some racers extra money to compete in this "budget" class. Eliminate it. It may have had a reason for existence 2 or 3 years ago, but not now. This issue is only going to come up again and again and again.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

First, You need to stop thinking about the concept that 1 car can compete in multiple classes with commonality. So many groups dilute VTA in order to make the car useful in GT and even TC. Thus, they end up altering the performance to suit. Some groups still do 21.5, some are doing 17.5, some allow blinky esc's and some allow larger batts. All this to make the car multi task. VTA is successful because people make the commitment to the class and enjoy it to the point where it's the only class they run.
RC racing should ALWAYS take into consideration the EXISTING racers BUT NEVER FORGET about the people who aren't racers YET. Keeping the PERCEIVED costs down and performance potential as even as possible is partially why VTA is so successful. The minute you unleash the monster...people will go out and start buying big, expensive packs mostly because they're trying to satisfy the needs of OTHER classes. Let's face it...ROAR TC drivers WILL look for any possible or perceived gains and are willing to pay for it.
In the big picture, VTA works. Make a small investment in the required batteries and go have fun.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by Evoracer
... VTA is successful because people make the commitment to the class and enjoy it to the point where it's the only class they run... In the big picture, VTA works. Make a small investment in the required batteries and go have fun.
+1
The VTA formula works very well and does not need to be "fixed" in any way.
__________________________________________________ ___________________

---->http://www.rctech.net/forum/texas-ra...obby-shop.html

Last edited by wwddww34; 04-16-2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:02 AM
Tech Master

Evoracer, I was not thinking of my chassis multitasking, but my batteries. I race offroad, where a high mah battery is convenient for longer practice runs. I started VTA last Fall and because ALL the clubs in my region see NO advantage in a 5600 mah pack in VTA, I can use my summer off road batteries in the winter carpet season.

Also, a high C rating is a significant price factor, yet because there is no advantage in 25.5VTA, it is not limited. If a battery is the hot ticket in another higher power class, it is invariably because of a high C rating, not mah.

Just because a battery may be the perceived hot ticket in another class, who cares? It won't make any difference in VTA. This is really the essential point.

Evoracer, do you think that a 6000 mah pack is a performance advantage in VTA?
Old 04-16-2012, 08:15 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wwddww34
+1
The VTA formula works very well and does not need to be "fixed" in any way.
Wasn't the recent decision on spoilers a fix ??

Wasn't the recent decision on the GTB 2 X-Drive an acknowledgement of the realities of what is available out in the marketplace now, and since it is provides no performance advantage, it was sensible to allow it ??

Wwddww, do you believe a 5600 or 6000 mah pack is a performance advantage in VTA?
Old 04-16-2012, 08:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by Rufus2010
Wasn't the recent decision on spoilers a fix ??

Wasn't the recent decision on the GTB 2 X-Drive an acknowledgement of the realities of what is available out in the marketplace now, and since it is provides no performance advantage, it was sensible to allow it ??

Wwddww, do you believe a 5600 or 6000 mah pack is a performance advantage in VTA?
As far as "fix" is concerned, I was thinking more about the 5000 mah battery and the 25.5 motor.

Actually I believe that a 5600 or 6000 mah pack is a big disadvantage. I currently use a 3800 mah pack that weighs half as much as a 6000 mah pack. The lower weight battery helps prevent traction rolling in my VTA. After an 8 minute race my charger shows that I only used 1800 mah. The 25.5 motors are incredibly efficient.
__________________________________________________ ___________________

---->http://www.rctech.net/forum/texas-ra...obby-shop.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.