Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 04:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by .crispy
Spec-R S1 $129

Can't get any cheaper than that.

I happen to know someone that TQ'd in Indy with one...
Good to hear a Spec-R S1 TQ'd how did it do in the main?
Old 05-17-2013, 05:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JimmyMack12
Has/does anyone ever tried out the Thunder Tiger T4SE for a VTA car? Looking to try and go VTA racing with a brand-new car on a budget
Never tried one but it looks like a decent design. Problem is that it is a $240 RTR where you're paying for electrics, body and tires that you can't use in VTA. At that price, you can find some ready to go used VTA cars like a TC5. If you want to go new, then build it out yourself from a TC4 club racer or the Spec-R S1 and if you're a frugal shopper willing to work with some used components, you could still get it around $300 for a competitive and USVTA legal car.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:52 AM
Tech Champion

alot of good points...

1st older chassis can beat any new chassis any day...seen it many times even at the top level

2nd there isnt a way to cheat with the Novak time ring. Its not carved in, but its a line that starts the "30deg" mark....this is how we mark the ppl whom have removed the timming sticker

3rd pro/sponsored drivers lose too...its the same class for everybody if you are under the USVTA banner. Im just as fast as I was running VTA before sponsorship. Its a class I enjoy and will always continue to support and race, along with USGT.

4th work on your stuff...free rolling chassis is faster ALWAYS

Glad to see all the positive comments on USVTA classes....

ps...If anybody looking for some VTA/GT racing this weekend(Sunday), Ive put together a racers appreciation day...just pizza,drinks,prizes and alot of thank yous...at Thunder RC Raceway, Home of the 2013 U.S.VTA Southern Nationals in Music City, U.S.A.

CYA
Old 05-17-2013, 10:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Current USVTA Scale Natiaonal Champion car...is a Losi XXXS. I bought one with tons of parts years ago for $80 and sold it for $100 then it sold and bought from some one like 2-3 times for around the same price.

For VTA....Driver skills matters, not the car.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I have been running an old hot bodies cyclone and HPI Pro4. Both only go for around $100 or so and th run great. Best part is they use the same arms and hubs as the new hot bodies stuff so th parts that break the most are pretty easy to come by (once they get this distrobution thing fixed that is). Tese cars run great. Wish HPI woukd re-release the Pro4 like associated did the TC4.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:17 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by .crispy
Spec-R S1 $129

Can't get any cheaper than that.

I happen to know someone that TQ'd in Indy with one...
OK, what is a "Spec-R S1"? Coming from oval pan cars...still kinda getting used to looking for a Touring Car after *years* of left-turn-only stuff...Who's got 'em?

**Never mind...LOL...** Just Googled it...found it for under $100...
Old 05-17-2013, 08:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Thumbs up

So in your best honest opinion what is the favored esc choice?
Old 05-17-2013, 08:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Tommy R
I'm sure you didn't intend it as such, but I have to try to not be offended when people refer to classes that are "low powered" as "novice" or "entry level". Many very accomplished racers simply prefer to race slower cars. I guess I'd say I'm fairly accomplished and I simply have more fun racing slower classes. While it's complimentary to have folks ask when I'll "move up" to blinky or mod, they're simply not classes that appeal to me.

For example, VTA is slow, but I don't believe VTA is an entry level class. The only class that should be considered a "stepping stone" is a "novice" class. Anything else is fair game for drivers of all skill levels, IMO.

Personally, I race in USGT and VTA, i.e. slow classes. I've had some level of success, but rather than move to blinky or mod, I try to recruit fast guys to run USGT and VTA!
Yes it's true .... I have trouble driving slower.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:56 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Pit-racer
So in your best honest opinion what is the favored esc choice?
Novak GTB2 Xdrive
Old 05-18-2013, 05:05 PM
Tech Elite

There's a whole thread dedicated to the Spec-R here on RCTech. I race in Indy with Crispy who got the TQ with the Spec-R. Crispy (Gary) loves his and I'm sure will respond to PM's. He's a good dude.

Here's the thread: http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...spec-r-r1.html

We have consistently good VTA and USGT turnouts at Indy RC on Friday nights. Usually 2-3 heats of each. Last night was a great group of racers, some new guys too and a nice new layout.

Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-indyrc051713.jpg  

Last edited by IndyHobbies.com; 05-18-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
alot of good points...

1st older chassis can beat any new chassis any day...seen it many times even at the top level

2nd there isnt a way to cheat with the Novak time ring. Its not carved in, but its a line that starts the "30deg" mark....this is how we mark the ppl whom have removed the timming sticker

3rd pro/sponsored drivers lose too...its the same class for everybody if you are under the USVTA banner. Im just as fast as I was running VTA before sponsorship. Its a class I enjoy and will always continue to support and race, along with USGT.

4th work on your stuff...free rolling chassis is faster ALWAYS

Glad to see all the positive comments on USVTA classes....

ps...If anybody looking for some VTA/GT racing this weekend(Sunday), Ive put together a racers appreciation day...just pizza,drinks,prizes and alot of thank yous...at Thunder RC Raceway, Home of the 2013 U.S.VTA Southern Nationals in Music City, U.S.A.

CYA

I wish I could make it out this weekend but its cool. I'm looking forward to you guys hosting the Southern Nationals later this year. I'm hoping to get my local VTA class back up and running again this summer
Old 05-19-2013, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
Novak GTB2 Xdrive
Thanks and is it capatible with any motor or only novaks?
Old 05-19-2013, 12:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

It should be compatible with any sensored, brushless motor.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:06 PM
Tech Champion

Keep in mind that the Spec R S1 is a cheaper version than the Spec R R1. Same design. Just cheaper components. I have seen people do fine in VTA with the $100 S1, but its not the same as its aluminum and Carbonfiber counterpart.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:13 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Keep in mind that the Spec R S1 is a cheaper version than the Spec R R1. Same design. Just cheaper components. I have seen people do fine in VTA with the $100 S1, but its not the same as its aluminum and Carbonfiber counterpart.
The aluminum bits are shiny but do little to make it go faster.

And the more flexible fiberglass chassis is "supposed to be" better for short carpet tracks.

And the one weak component (driveshafts) is the same on both.

That being said, I'll get a R1 soon because I like "shiny".

For VTA on the cheap, it can't be beat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.