Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Old 04-10-2013, 06:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

goto petitrc and check out their Setups. they have everything from low traction asphalt to high traction carpet
Old 04-10-2013, 06:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I've considered a front one-way, but was too concerned about losing braking ability on our relatively low grip asphalt lot. Do FOWs work better on carpet? Instead, I was thinking of trying a gear diff with lighter oil in it.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I've run one-ways quite a bit in the past and still do from time to time. There's plenty of tracks where braking is not necessary. However, I've grown much more comfortable with a diff up front so I know the brakes will be there if I need them in traffic. I tested speed on a very large asphalt layout where a one-way was a perfect match for the track and I didn't improve my time versus a well setup car with a diff. I've never gotten used to spools either. Maybe I just haven't worked on my setup enough with one but I can never get the car to turn the way I would like it to running a spool.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:38 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

re: spool/one-way
I find it is driving style:
With the one-way I can roll the corner and have more corner speed than rolling the corner with spool.
With the spool I have to stay on throttle the whole corner to maintain the corner speed of the one-way BUT then my motor has more rpm and I get OUT of the corner and up to full speed faster
Old 04-10-2013, 10:44 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayL
re: spool/one-way
I find it is driving style:
With the one-way I can roll the corner and have more corner speed than rolling the corner with spool.
With the spool I have to stay on throttle the whole corner to maintain the corner speed of the one-way BUT then my motor has more rpm and I get OUT of the corner and up to full speed faster
1+ Back in the days oneway diff was the ticket..At the reedy races ..they banned the oneway diff ,now most of the chassis is design to run with the spool...
Old 04-10-2013, 02:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Bibie
I need a setup for my tc6 to run VTA on Asphalt ....
Stock setup on both of mine (one is Factory Team and the other is the World's Car) with the only exception being moving the upper shock mounts on the rear to the inner-most position. Car is very neutral in handling on asphalt and does exactly what I tell it to do; I control steering with the throttle in turns at least as much as I do with the steering itself.

To me it's the perfect balance for my driving style, and I tried every trick in the book other racers were suggesting! Eventually I gave up and returned to the "original" setups and started over, and that's when I discovered the shock mount location trick.

To each his/her own though... everyone else who tries it may hate it! Give it a shot though, it may just work for you... but stock setup on everything else first!
Old 04-10-2013, 03:45 PM
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=bronicabill;12032050]Stock setup on both of mine (one is Factory Team and the other is the World's Car) with the only exception being moving the upper shock mounts on the rear to the inner-most position. Car is very neutral in handling on asphalt and does exactly what I tell it to do; I control steering with the throttle in turns at least as much as I do with the steering itself.

To me it's the perfect balance for my driving style, and I tried every trick in the book other racers were suggesting! Eventually I gave up and returned to the "original" setups and started over, and that's when I discovered the shock mount location trick.

To each his/her own though... everyone else who tries it may hate it! Give it a shot though, it may just work for you... but stock setup on everything else first! thanks
Old 04-10-2013, 05:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'm running a TC4 club racer right now and I have it setup to where I think its near perfect. I run on an outdoor concrete surface.
Started with the box stock setup and went to 35wt oil F/R. I added the VCS2 shock upgrade (best $14 I have spent on R/C in a long time). The rear has silver AE springs and is leaned in at the top one position. The rear roll center is lowered a little using the team aluminum hinge pin blocks with the second thinnest shim. It still has the spool up front and the rear diff is set to not slip but is very free.
I can roll smoothly through the corners and the car is very predictable. I think I may need a tad more on-power steering to help me through one fast turn but if I never change it it is still good.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:19 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by DarthRacer
I'm running a TC4 club racer right now and I have it setup to where I think its near perfect. I run on an outdoor concrete surface.
Started with the box stock setup and went to 35wt oil F/R. I added the VCS2 shock upgrade (best $14 I have spent on R/C in a long time). The rear has silver AE springs and is leaned in at the top one position. The rear roll center is lowered a little using the team aluminum hinge pin blocks with the second thinnest shim. It still has the spool up front and the rear diff is set to not slip but is very free.
I can roll smoothly through the corners and the car is very predictable. I think I may need a tad more on-power steering to help me through one fast turn but if I never change it it is still good.
droop the front arms so they don't go down as far, that will keep more weight up front for more on-power steering.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Here is an on-board view of a qualifier from our track. We setup an oval for the last month in our points series. All the cars are set to the same max RPM so racing is pretty close.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default "Shorty" lipo's

Are these packs legal for usage in usvta races? The standard size lipo's will not fit on my pro 3. But the "shorty's" just fit fine. Now would i have to add some weight to be legal? I like the fact that i can alter the placement of the battery foward or backwards on the car for weight distribution, plus the battery is placed in the center of the car.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mera'din
Here is an on-board view of a qualifier from our track. We setup an oval for the last month in our points series. All the cars are set to the same max RPM so racing is pretty close.
Cool video prospective with a classic VTA start, "GO!" Followed by 3 or more crashes by the first corner. LOL
Then 4-5 laps later plowing through a 3 car pile up. We have the same problem at our track, an 8 minute main but everyone wants to win on the first lap!

I see you didn't sell that Mountain Dew body and decided to run it after all. Nice.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:41 PM
Tech Master

I did two dew bodies. This was the original dew body. I still have the rusted one and it is still for sale. I am going to run it next season unless the right buyer comes along. So far there has been a lot of people interested, they just don't want to pay the piper. It comes as a package including new tires/rims and a killer paint job.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chicagopro3
Are these packs legal for usage in usvta races? The standard size lipo's will not fit on my pro 3. But the "shorty's" just fit fine. Now would i have to add some weight to be legal? I like the fact that i can alter the placement of the battery foward or backwards on the car for weight distribution, plus the battery is placed in the center of the car.
Yes. Just as long as it is a hard-case 2S lipo and it doesn't exceed 5000 mAh, it's legal.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:44 PM
Tech Master

We have tried many thing to keep everyone from piling up in the first turn but it doesn't seem to sink in. Hold your line! We did rolling starts for a while, first lap at half throttle, etc...people just can't seem to wait.

I saw a few videos on the tube where the race director will restart a race if the first lap isn't clean. I think that is something I'd like to try. This was a qualifier so no restart there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.