Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 09:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Just remember that some drivers are smoother than others. Check your lap times and motor temps and go from there.

chuck
Old 03-26-2013, 10:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beemerfan
I experimented with this last year during the ROAR Nats in Joliet, IL. after watching another car find some new speed by doing the same thing. The track layout made the straight away roughly 180 feet. I compared 2.98:1 at the stock 30 degrees of timing to 3:27:1 at 45 degrees. The numbers are to the best of my recollection because I lost my notes. The lap times were about the same but I remember the motor being slightly cooler, maybe 5 degrees with the 2.98 and stock timing. The temps stayed under 130 either way using a fan. Ultimately, I ran with the higher timing and shorter ratio because the car just felt better to me. Could just have been a "mental" thing too.
Originally Posted by Shawn68z
I have been playing with gearing and motor timing a lot lately too. And sometimes having the power from the motor at the right time is everything. I have been setting my cars up with higher FDR (lower Rollout), so I can get better acceleration out of the corners and make my passes on the infield. I just make sure that I don't go so low that the cars are able to pass me back again on the straight.

Shawn.
Thanks, fellas! Just the kind of info. I'm looking for. I'm currently finding that my infield speed is rather good, but I'm getting pulled too hard down the straight. Sounds like it may not be as uncommon as I'd thought to run real tall gearing. Time to step it up!
Old 03-26-2013, 03:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tommy R
What's the tallest gear some of you have run on more open layouts? So far I've run as tall as 3.62, but I may need to step it up a bit. I always monitor my motor temps, but I'm just curious....how high have you geared your motor before it's either got too hot or maybe become too sluggish?

Would there be a potential benefit to running less timing (presumably more torque, right?) when running a taller gear?
I rarely run 45* timing, did when I 1st started but now I generally run mine at 37* and taller gears on the big track ( 100'x48'? ). My laptimes got better and I don't get " pulled " anywhere on the track now. I'll run at around 30* on the small track and again, taller gear than most people thats cranked up. Works for me and my driving habbits
Old 03-28-2013, 03:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default TC4

Looking to buy a used tc4 roller or one with a VTA setup if anybody has one.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bertottius
Looking to buy a used tc4 roller or one with a VTA setup if anybody has one.
There are 5 or 6 of them on eBay right now I noticed last night. Just search "Associated TC4" and click the "used" box.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:50 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
There are 5 or 6 of them on eBay right now I noticed last night. Just search "Associated TC4" and click the "used" box.
Don't tell him that. Tell him he wants to buy mine Scott...
Old 03-28-2013, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

But Crispy's is the BEST DARN ASSOCIATED TC4 THIS SIDE OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER SO I WOULDN'T EVEN CONSIDER LOOKING ON EBAY!!!!!

(How did I do Gary?)

Old 03-28-2013, 10:53 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
But Crispy's is the BEST DARN ASSOCIATED TC4 THIS SIDE OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER SO I WOULDN'T EVEN CONSIDER LOOKING ON EBAY!!!!!

(How did I do Gary?)

You could also have mentioned that Indy RC Racer said it was better than his!

Now I'm down to one TC4. Makes me sad. But I'm gonna keep the other as my "Arrive and drive" VTA car for friends and family. Nobody would pay what I have in it.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:17 PM
Tech Master

I can't get the drag break to do anything on my Novak edge it set to 10 that's 100%and still looks like its not slowing down at all.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

just getting a chance to post from Sunday racing. took my Ballistic and GTB2 powered Xray T3r FTW usvta style over Eric Gellispe by a lap with battery by EA Motorsports

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=Kiodrplh_Cg
Old 03-28-2013, 07:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
just getting a chance to post from Sunday racing. took my Ballistic and GTB2 powered Xray T3r FTW usvta style over Eric Gellispe by a lap with battery by EA Motorsports

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=Kiodrplh_Cg
Was that your car sitting upside down about half way through? Curious what you ran for motor timing and gear ratio in that race? If you don't want Eric to know, please PM me.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beemerfan
Was that your car sitting upside down about half way through? Curious what you ran for motor timing and gear ratio in that race? If you don't want Eric to know, please PM me.
I tapped a couple times and rolled it twice. I was the white yellow blue car that comes by the camera in the first second eric was the white car.

if everybody is just as fast as everybody else then it all comes down to driver
and that's what it's all about....

3.36 and about 37 degrees
Old 03-28-2013, 11:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 5th wheel
I can't get the drag break to do anything on my Novak edge it set to 10 that's 100%and still looks like its not slowing down at all.
Actually, the max setting of 10 is only 30% of your full braking force. You don't see or feel much braking but it is there slowing the car enough for the turns. I don't think Novak designs their drag brake to replace actual braking like you'll see a lot of guys do with some programmable speed controls setting it at 50% or more.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I decided to try a different battery last night in VTA to see how it performed. I had a spare Orion 4000 Rocket stick pack lipo with Dean's plugs (25c).

Since I'm running a tub chassis TC4, the first benefit was the battery was lighter. I actually had to add a bit of weight to get to 1550 grams. While I don't mind running a heavy car (handles side by side contact better), it is always nice to be able to put the weight were you want/need it.

I have several 5000 mah 40c batteries, but the Orion 4000 has the fewest cycles on it (less than 50). As far as on track performance I was able to run consistant laps for the entire run with very little drop off at the end.

I'm certainly not saying that this is a superior battery, but I was surprised at how well it performed for me. I might have to look into getting a good shorty pack to help shave some weight off my FT TC4 car - since it weighs over 1600 grams in race configuration (GTB with full size servo).
Old 03-30-2013, 01:11 PM
Tech Addict

I have an almost new 4400mah shorty in that TC4 of mine that you drove. You can run that next week.

With less weight and a good battery you can win by an even larger margin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.