R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-25-2013, 01:17 PM   #4456
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertottius View Post
thanks guys. ive tried to recalibrate it and it dodnt work. can anyone post some intructions on the proper way to do it?
Is radio/transmitter set to 100% brake before calibrating with esc, pull trigger for full throttle push trigger for full brake?
I'm able to adjust drag brake after this by changing the throttle trim on my transmitter towards the - or reverse end of the throttle trim.
My default after setup is 4 blinks and if I need more I'll change to more blinks in the esc but usually just changing the trim towards - 50 is more than enough drag brake.
My tekin esc gets funky if I try to change trim towards "reverse" tho.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #4457
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

edit: this was the view of our 10+ car VTA race this last saturday at Mike's in Carrollton (need to resize and clean it up some). Great racing and most importantly alot of fun!

for the record, yes those are VTA racers (who shall remain nameless) driving from Mike's offroad stand.....

Last edited by mkiiina; 03-25-2013 at 01:58 PM.
mkiiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #4458
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodarbal View Post
So when a 1/10 scale "Late '60s to early '70s American pony car Vintage Trans-Am body" is released to market, what is the process for it to gain USVTA approval? To me the Vaterra body should meet the criteria. It seems that by default when a body is newly released it is automatically illegal because it's not on the approved list.
Bodies are not legal until they are listed. With the bodies, the approval process is somewhat subjective. As long as it fits the criteria of having raced in the series during the "golden era" period, it is usually going to be in. The HPI drift camaro didn't make it since it does not represent a car of that era, it is a modern rebuild. This body looks really good, and most likely will be listed. I just haven't seen one in person yet.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #4459
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey guy's, I could use some help.

I'm looking for a way to get the FDR close to 4.0:1. With the ring and pinion gear factored into my calculator, and the smallest spur AE offers(66) I will need a 41t pinion. On 48 pitch this cant be right. Can I change over to 64 pitch? Cause then the numbers may work. I'm confused.
Chrisg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #4460
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Rodarbal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisg23 View Post

I'm looking for a way to get the FDR close to 4.0:1. With the ring and pinion gear factored into my calculator, and the smallest spur AE offers(66) I will need a 41t pinion. On 48 pitch this cant be right. Can I change over to 64 pitch? Cause then the numbers may work. I'm confused.
I'm assuming you're running a TC3 or TC4 since mathematically your internal drive ratio turns out to be 2.5:1. And yes, that 41T pinion is correct with the 66T spur. If you want to stick with 48 pitch I've also used a 65T spurs from HPI. Currently, I've got a 88T 64P Kimbrough spur in my TC3. For a 4.0:1 FDR, I would need a 55T pinion. Good luck!
Rodarbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #4461
Tech Addict

I have the edge also and can't get the drag break to do any thing. I called Novak about it and they said drag brake is not necessary on a vta car not enough Wight to worry about.
5th wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:28 PM   #4462
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisg23 View Post

If you have to buy and pinion and a spur, you'd be better off going to 64 pitch gears from the start. An 82/50 combo would get you to 4.02 and you wouldn't have to make major modifications to the motor mount or cam. If you want to stay with 48 pitch, Robinson makes 49, 52 and 55 tooth pinions probably just for VTA racers. Tower Hobbies carries them so you can probably order them from your local hobby shop as well. A 55/34 combo would get you to 4.04 and should also fit without too much fiddling. The main thing to watch for is how much adjustment range you have in the car. The motor can only move so far in or out, making some combos you come up with on a gear calculator impossible to achieve.
beemerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #4463
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodarbal View Post
I'm assuming you're running a TC3 or TC4 since mathematically your internal drive ratio turns out to be 2.5:1. And yes, that 41T pinion is correct with the 66T spur. If you want to stick with 48 pitch I've also used a 65T spurs from HPI. Currently, I've got a 88T 64P Kimbrough spur in my TC3. For a 4.0:1 FDR, I would need a 55T pinion. Good luck!
I use robinson 60t 48p spurs on my tc3 and tc4
Rojna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:29 PM   #4464
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojna View Post
I use robinson 60t 48p spurs on my tc3 and
tc4
+1 Also check out gearchart.com. They have a selection program for almost any car.
Enter your info and print selection chart!!!
THEBIGBULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:47 AM   #4465
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

What's the tallest gear some of you have run on more open layouts? So far I've run as tall as 3.62, but I may need to step it up a bit. I always monitor my motor temps, but I'm just curious....how high have you geared your motor before it's either got too hot or maybe become too sluggish?

Would there be a potential benefit to running less timing (presumably more torque, right?) when running a taller gear?
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:09 AM   #4466
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 1068 (100%+)

I posted up the gearing chart from USVTA's site on google docs. You can change it without logging in:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...mc&usp=sharing
and for those that don't know me.. I'm a sarcastic A DBL S
Dave Cates Founder of www.GO-RCing.org
bigwavedave33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:35 AM   #4467
Tech Master

Here's a 48p gear ratio chart I made in Excel for my TC3s. I think it's important to point out to the "newbs" that most gear ratio calculators don't take the physical limitations of your motor mount into account. Every car has an adjustment range that limits the size of gears you can use. My chart is specific to my cars, which have an extensive number of modifications done to the motor mounting area, motor cam and clamp that go well beyond just taking down the webbing under the pinion. The 60/41 spur/pinion and a few other combos shown on the chart would not be possible without these mods.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #4468
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 1068 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerfan View Post
Here's a 48p gear ratio chart I made in Excel for my TC3s. I think it's important to point out to the "newbs" that most gear ratio calculators don't take the physical limitations of your motor mount into account. Every car has an adjustment range that limits the size of gears you can use. My chart is specific to my cars, which have an extensive number of modifications done to the motor mounting area, motor cam and clamp that go well beyond just taking down the webbing under the pinion. The 60/41 spur/pinion and a few other combos shown on the chart would not be possible without these mods.
Very true... I have seen guys field engineering to get their gears to fit instead of getting the correct spur combo
and for those that don't know me.. I'm a sarcastic A DBL S
Dave Cates Founder of www.GO-RCing.org
bigwavedave33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:53 AM   #4469
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
What's the tallest gear some of you have run on more open layouts? So far I've run as tall as 3.62, but I may need to step it up a bit. I always monitor my motor temps, but I'm just curious....how high have you geared your motor before it's either got too hot or maybe become too sluggish?

Would there be a potential benefit to running less timing (presumably more torque, right?) when running a taller gear?
I experimented with this last year during the ROAR Nats in Joliet, IL. after watching another car find some new speed by doing the same thing. The track layout made the straight away roughly 180 feet. I compared 2.98:1 at the stock 30 degrees of timing to 3:27:1 at 45 degrees. The numbers are to the best of my recollection because I lost my notes. The lap times were about the same but I remember the motor being slightly cooler, maybe 5 degrees with the 2.98 and stock timing. The temps stayed under 130 either way using a fan. Ultimately, I ran with the higher timing and shorter ratio because the car just felt better to me. Could just have been a "mental" thing too.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:31 AM   #4470
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerfan View Post
I experimented with this last year during the ROAR Nats in Joliet, IL. after watching another car find some new speed by doing the same thing. The track layout made the straight away roughly 180 feet. I compared 2.98:1 at the stock 30 degrees of timing to 3:27:1 at 45 degrees. The numbers are to the best of my recollection because I lost my notes. The lap times were about the same but I remember the motor being slightly cooler, maybe 5 degrees with the 2.98 and stock timing. The temps stayed under 130 either way using a fan. Ultimately, I ran with the higher timing and shorter ratio because the car just felt better to me. Could just have been a "mental" thing too.
I have been playing with gearing and motor timing a lot lately too. And sometimes having the power from the motor at the right time is everything. I have been setting my cars up with higher FDR (lower Rollout), so I can get better acceleration out of the corners and make my passes on the infield. I just make sure that I don't go so low that the cars are able to pass me back again on the straight.

Shawn.
Shawn68z is offline   Reply With Quote