R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #4246
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com View Post
I remember when I first started racing I often felt like I was a hazard for the faster drivers. I still do depending on who I'm racing against. Until the heats were resorted we had good drivers and new, bad drivers together.

Our announcer would tell us to make sure and move over and let the faster drivers pass. Ok, that sounds fine, but when you are new, just getting around the track is an accomplishment. You don't yet have the skill to relocate your car that way. If you did you probably wouldn't be a new driver.

My point is that sometimes when you come up on a slower driver you need to understand that they are just trying to put down some good laps. As was suggested earlier, wait for a good time to pass and use your skill to do so. I remember one of the better drivers telling me that the best thing I could do was to hold my line. That trying to pull over or out of the way caused more problems because it was unpredictable.
I feel the same way on the issue. I just got back from racing this evening and I must say I didn't have the best experience in the main. This was my second VTA race with my used 2009 Pro2 X-ray and I am still getting used to it, "logging laps and getting my confidence up in the new car". I havent raced on road in about 10 years and I must say it was different then.

I have a fast car, I can pull away from most of the other cars and I can tuck the corners but need my rythm, and that makes me feel like a hazzard. I go wide when I can but that isn't always possible. I had a driver that consistently attempted to drive "through" me the whole race. He would wreck me and then I would pass him shortly there after as he would get caught up in his attempts on other drivers. The next time he would catch me he would do the same thing. In the straights he would serve into me as he got a fender on me and the wreck would be violent for my car and he would just drive through.

The race announcer and most everyone else were telling him to knock it off but it continued in our VTA races as well as the other two classes he ran. He Won as a result in one class. Don't get me wrong here, he is good but....If he would pass cleanly I wouldn't be typing this. I pulled over and calmed myself down before getting back to the race. If it continues at this facility I will simply sell my stuff and take another ten year break and go crawling or something again.

My final point to this is that if you are such a great driver you should be able to exercise self control and pass cleanly and not hack your way through the field. I am not in your way, I am a competitor, no matter how fast, slow, or seemily "a newb" I appear to be to you.
jrkilburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:04 AM   #4247
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkilburn View Post
The race announcer and most everyone else were telling him to knock it off but it continued in our VTA races as well as the other two classes he ran. He Won as a result in one class. Don't get me wrong here, he is good but....If he would pass cleanly I wouldn't be typing this...
The announcer needs to give stop and go penalties for preventable incidents. I've raced VTA in Omaha several times now, and they'll re-start the entire race if the first few laps get ugly! It only takes a few times for this to happen before guys begin to control their excitement and the bumping subsides. (The guys in Omaha are some of the most courteous drivers I've ever raced with.)

Quote:
I pulled over and calmed myself down before getting back to the race. If it continues at this facility I will simply sell my stuff and take another ten year break and go crawling or something again.
Please don't let it get to you. Sometimes unsportsmanlike driving is accompanied by behavioral problems: Those drivers get their kicks out of pissing people off and creating confrontation. I've found that if you are courteous, talk, laugh, and make it obvious that you are having fun, and it is clear that your attitude can't be changed by anyone else, then those drivers who are trying to ruin your day will soon leave, looking for others who can be more easily pissed off. (Or they might even change their attitude, in an effort to fit in with the rest of the group. But don't count on that.)

Quote:
My final point to this is that if you are such a great driver you should be able to exercise self control and pass cleanly and not hack your way through the field. I am not in your way, I am a competitor, no matter how fast, slow, or seemily "a newb" I appear to be to you.
And that is the difference between racing WITH someone, and racing AGAINST someone.
howardcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:22 AM   #4248
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Let's get back to the cars.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #4249
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Rodarbal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit-racer View Post
Let's get back to the cars.
Indeed.

Out of curiosity, what is the general split at all y'all's tracks of shafties vs. belt driven cars? I have both, so I'm not about to start a battle of opinions here. But as I prefaced, I'm just curious.
Rodarbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #4250
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I would have to say that its about 1-2 out of every 10 cars. Yesterday's Carpet Showdown, USVTA was won by a "shafty" TC4 and he had the 2nd fastest lap of the day with it. The field was represented by nearly every brand chassis too. There was a Serpent, VBC WildFire and XRay T4 in my pitrow alone. I also seen some AE TC6s, XRay T2s, T3s and a Sekura.

That just goes to show that USVTA is still holding true to its beginning idea, to be able to race and be competitive with older design " out of date" chassis.

TLR22 / Tekin RS / D4SS 6.5 / Futaba 9551 / ORCA 6000 /SCMOD,
F14 carpet Oval Chassis too!
alloyslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #4251
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloyslash View Post
I would have to say that its about 1-2 out of every 10 cars. Yesterday's Carpet Showdown, USVTA was won by a "shafty" TC4 and he had the 2nd fastest lap of the day with it. The field was represented by nearly every brand chassis too. There was a Serpent, VBC WildFire and XRay T4 in my pitrow alone. I also seen some AE TC6s, XRay T2s, T3s and a Sekura.

That just goes to show that USVTA is still holding true to its beginning idea, to be able to race and be competitive with older design " out of date" chassis.
i had a blast at the showdown and theres alittle left in the tc4 couldnt play all my cards at the track lol
thrasher05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #4252
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AudioStylz

Well, I finally have all the pieces I need to make my TC3 a fully functioning VTA racer. Now I just have to put it together! Only problem, we got another snow storm expected tomorrow and I expect racing to be cancelled for the 2nd week in a row tomorrow night.

Plan on going to the track Thursday to shake the TC3 down and start working on a setup that best suits me.
AudioStylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:29 AM   #4253
Tech Addict

One popular upgradw around here on the TC3 is installing the TC4 steering rack on it.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:41 AM   #4254
Tech Elite

Have you seasoned racers seen where a driver might change out strators to gain an advantage over another racer? I've seen the newer stators seem color coded but older ones not.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:15 AM   #4255
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Quote:
Have you seasoned racers seen where a driver might change out strators to gain an advantage over another racer? I've seen the newer stators seem color coded but older ones not.
In the Ballistic line the only other Black topped Stator's are the Mod Stators Ie. the 8.5T to 3.5T

There would be a 1000% gain in performance if running an 8,5T

So no, it would not be possible to get a little advantage

I race toy cars for fun. If I need to explain, you'll never understand.
jdeadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:54 AM   #4256
Tech Addict

Quote:
Pit, I can only speak of my experience at the local level, but my motor seems to be on par with others and it's bone stock (bought it new from Mike's in Carrolton) and all I did was crank up the mechanical timing on the can up to the last hash mark. I'm geared at ~3.7 FDR if that helps....but I'm thinking of going a bit taller for this week just to see how it does. Temps are typically maxed at 120-130F.

I've got a spare 25.5 stator that came with my car when I bought it used (that's the one I offered to you). Not sure why the previous owner had it, though. I guess it was just a spare? Do these things really wear out? If so, maybe I should hold on to it just in case I need it!
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #4257
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeadman View Post
In the Ballistic line the only other Black topped Stator's are the Mod Stators Ie. the 8.5T to 3.5T

There would be a 1000% gain in performance if running an 8,5T

So no, it would not be possible to get a little advantage
Novak shows others besides the mods.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #4258
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
I've got a spare 25.5 stator that came with my car when I bought it used (that's the one I offered to you). Not sure why the previous owner had it, though. I guess it was just a spare? Do these things really wear out? If so, maybe I should hold on to it just in case I need it!
Its always a good idea to have a spare stator in your box. All it takes is a bearing seizing up, or some other kind of binding to occur during a run and you can overheat and hurt your stator. If you have a spare then you are good to go.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #4259
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
The stator is the actual windings of the motor. Stator colors are:

Black: 25.5, 8.5, 7.5, 6.5, 5.5, 4.5, & 3.5. Some of these you can also get epoxy dipped.

Yellow: 17.5

Orange: 13.5

Blue: 10.5

Green: 21.5

The 10.5, 13.5 & 17.5 are available as red wire stators and shorter stack high RPM stators and epoxy dipped stators.

Then there's the new grey end over sized wire stators.

The only one we are concerned with is the 25.5. Any of the other stators will get you in BIG TROUBLE during tech

Changing out a motor or stator will give you a definite advantage but since only the Novak 25.5 is legal, that's what we run. Now loose dirt modified? That's another matter.
CustomWorks Outlaw Sprint Car
Xray T3 2012 USVTA
GP40X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #4260
Tech Elite

Let's Race!