Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 03:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Since we have been discussing whether or not to let someone pass, I'll also bring up the subject of where to let someone pass.

If I'm letting a faster driver through (or being let through by a slower driver) I always like to do it at the same corner on the track. (So much for the "three corner rule"!). That way there's no element of surprise that can lead to a mishap.

The best corner for this is usually a hairpin (especially if there's one at the end of a straight) because many drivers tend to overshoot the apex, and the track will be clean for several feet past it. Going wide to make room for a faster car here won't get your tires dirty, so the rest of your lap time won't suffer.

A straight is one of the worst places to pass because the cars spend much of their time side-by-side, giving more opportunity for a mistake to happen. If a faster car does try to pass me on the straight, I'll lift for just a fraction of a second so we aren't side-by-side for long.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:34 AM
Tech Elite

I remember when I first started racing I often felt like I was a hazard for the faster drivers. I still do depending on who I'm racing against. Until the heats were resorted we had good drivers and new, bad drivers together.

Our announcer would tell us to make sure and move over and let the faster drivers pass. Ok, that sounds fine, but when you are new, just getting around the track is an accomplishment. You don't yet have the skill to relocate your car that way. If you did you probably wouldn't be a new driver.

My point is that sometimes when you come up on a slower driver you need to understand that they are just trying to put down some good laps. As was suggested earlier, wait for a good time to pass and use your skill to do so. I remember one of the better drivers telling me that the best thing I could do was to hold my line. That trying to pull over or out of the way caused more problems because it was unpredictable.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:38 AM
Tech Elite

I was gluing up a pair of VTA tires this morning. They are kind of a pain to do compared to others because of the outer bead/lip. I wondered if there were better instructions than the ones that come with them in the package (yes, we know that you point the glue bottle at the tire and glue it, LOL!).

I found a short forum on the topic. Good ideas here. I used the 90 degree method mentioned. Worked really well.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...vta-tires.html
Old 03-01-2013, 05:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lagcisco
So I want to try this VTA thing.

Do you guys run your older chassis for VTA and stick to the newer chassis for straight up TC?

I've got a newer TC6.1WC but thinking of getting an older beat up car for VTA but I'm not sure if I should just convert this newer car to VTA or not.

Just wondering what kind of strategy you guys use for deciding which chassis. I'm not on a super tight budget but still.
I chose to pick up a second TC6 (I also race a TC6 in USGT). I suspect it may very well be overkill for VTA, however, now I only have to carry spares for one car. And worst case, I can always scavenge parts from one car for the other if need be. Sure, it was more expensive to pick up a used TC6 vs. a TC3/4, but it was worth it to me.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tommy R
I chose to pick up a second TC6 (I also race a TC6 in USGT). I suspect it may very well be overkill for VTA, however, now I only have to carry spares for one car. And worst case, I can always scavenge parts from one car for the other if need be. Sure, it was more expensive to pick up a used TC6 vs. a TC3/4, but it was worth it to me.
That's good advice right there. That's why I bought a second TC4 instead of picking up a used TC5 /6. Spares!!!
Old 03-01-2013, 05:29 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by wwddww34
Hey lagcisco, glad to hear that you want to try VTA. It's a ton of fun.

Generally most new VTA racers will get an inexpensive 4WD chassis like the Team Associated TC4 Club Racer. Some VTA enthusiasts, like myself, will use the best 4WD chassis they can afford to race in VTA. I am using an Xray T3 2011 for VTA. I don't race a TC so I just put all that I've got into my VTA racecar. Hope that helps.
That was my strategy. I got a couple used TC4s and was doing well. Then I bought this new TC called a Spec-R S1 for $128 and was immediately (out of the box) beating my TC4 times by a large margin and it was easier to drive.

For VTA on the cheap, this chassis is a winner. Yes, spares are hard to come by right now and I have to stock my own. But then again, I have a complete TC4 as my backup.

Just like the old days of IndyCar where your backup was a completely different chassis than your primary. Worked for Mario in '69...
Old 03-01-2013, 07:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by slashdriver
We race on asphalt as well up at Speedworld in Roseville/Sacramento area. The wear you describe is not uncommon.

You can help reduce it some by balancing the car with more weight to the rear (to lessen the load on the front tires), and by getting rid of the push (when the car is pushing, the front tires are slipping against the track surface, which is grinding away rubber from the tires).

I run all of my lead as far back as I can, and I run my car pretty lose, and it does help the front tires to last longer - but it is just the nature of VTA on asphalt, the front tires wear out first. 4 race days is decent, 5 or more and you are doing pretty good. I've seen pushy cars combined with drivers who drove agressively burn the front tires off in only two race days.
Thanks for the info. i've run there at Speed World, very nice track. we need to get a west coast VTA thing going soon. that way we could run a 15 or 20 car A main, that would be a blast. maybe next year. tell billy hi from the Roadrunner group down south. i'll try moving the weight around this weekend and test next saturday.
thanks
bill
Old 03-01-2013, 12:41 PM
Tech Master

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de Los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula, California, Unites States of America
Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Looks like I may just get another tc6.1wc, at least i can share parts between cars which is a good advantage. I'll use the older one for VTA and newer one for TC, though I have a feeling I will forgot all about TC one I try the VTA thang. I've got some shopping to do.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
Some people here have not been subjected to the "three turn rule". Not especially courteous, but why hold people up?
I agree that the faster car should always try to work with the slower car. There used to be a lot more three (or less) turn action on foam tires in sedan when the pace was a lot faster. Really, the bigger deal is when the faster car has another fast car right behind him. That's when you see guys get punted.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I agree that the faster car should always try to work with the slower car. There used to be a lot more three (or less) turn action on foam tires in sedan when the pace was a lot faster. Really, the bigger deal is when the faster car has another fast car right behind him. That's when you see guys get punted.
This is why it's not always "cut and dry" when it comes to negotiating traffic. IMO, consideration should be given more to the driver who is engaged in a battle at that moment. But sometimes the lapping and lapped cars are both battling and that makes things challenging.

In my experience, 99% of the time both the lapping and lapped driver will lose less time if the lapped car yields just a bit to let the faster car through. This is much better executed when the slower car tries to be predictable so the faster car can anticipate when/where to pass.

But generally speaking I don't assume slower traffic should move out of the way. They should hold their line and the faster traffic should execute a clean pass. If the drivers are erratic and/or they are in battles for position, things get less clear.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I also like to announce when I am going to let someone pass. Ill usually yell "going wide" just before the turn and let the faster guy duck in and pass. They almost always says thank you too.

It REALLY helps when the race director lets you know who is on the lead lap.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

hummm
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-kings%2520of%2520vta.jpg  
Old 03-01-2013, 05:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Hey Robk, wassup dood? Bout time VTA got a couple small fires burning out here in So Cal huh?
Roadrunners/Camarillo is doing full USVTA and a bunch of us other numbnuts are climbing on with our UF1 21.5 extras and it's a blast too.
Question I have for you is, do the slicks hang in there better on asphalt than the treaded sneakers? cuz I'm the guy that fries them in a couple days and that sucks.
And is there any advantage performance wise with either slicks or treaded?
Just sayin.
Not trying to start more controversy but longevity would be nice
Old 03-01-2013, 07:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
Hey Robk, wassup dood? Bout time VTA got a couple small fires burning out here in So Cal huh?
Roadrunners/Camarillo is doing full USVTA and a bunch of us other numbnuts are climbing on with our UF1 21.5 extras and it's a blast too.
Question I have for you is, do the slicks hang in there better on asphalt than the treaded sneakers? cuz I'm the guy that fries them in a couple days and that sucks.
And is there any advantage performance wise with either slicks or treaded?
Just sayin.
Not trying to start more controversy but longevity would be nice
Well Cuda, #1 I really don't know about the longevity angle. I have tried the slicks at one point when a local had some. They were actually worse than the treads on carpet, but I don't know if they needed to be broken in, etc. IT was a while ago. That was only a run, so I have no idea if they last longer. I tend to doubt it, only because it's the same rubber.

At the same time, it has always been one tire since there is no tire game or head games for that matter. It will stay that way.

One thing I have to ask, are you running 21.5? That may not be helping your tire smoking ways...LOL
Old 03-01-2013, 08:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Well Cuda, #1 I really don't know about the longevity angle. I have tried the slicks at one point when a local had some. They were actually worse than the treads on carpet, but I don't know if they needed to be broken in, etc. IT was a while ago. That was only a run, so I have no idea if they last longer. I tend to doubt it, only because it's the same rubber.

At the same time, it has always been one tire since there is no tire game or head games for that matter. It will stay that way.

One thing I have to ask, are you running 21.5? That may not be helping your tire smoking ways...LOL
Yeh, it's 21.5 here in Southern So. Cal.
All it took was the mention of it (thanks Todd) and all of a sudden TQ Raceway had over 20 combos of bodies and tires sold and the first weekend had about 16 or 18 entries for their carpet series race and about 15 or so for the ROAR Regional. It's not even the same guys each time out, if we get them all together sometime, somehow, it'll be like a UF1 race with 40 + cars.
Seems these guys are still flinching at the thought of full USVTA rules. You know the drill.
Camarillo however is all in from what I've heard.
Heck, when I first bolted the VTA combo onto my chassis I didn't even take the 17.5 out of it and it was on rails, well, had some grip roll issues but it was not ridiculous. Just sayin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.