R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #4156
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthRacer View Post
After reading this thread and the TC4 thread I thought the TC4 was supposed to be a real pig of a TC. I measured the race ready weight of my TC4 and it was underweight by 20oz!!!
20 oz. underweight, or 20 grams underweight? If your scale says that car is 20 ounces underweight in a "race ready" configuration, I'd weigh it again on a different scale. There's no way a TC4 weighs under 1000 grams unless there's no electronics onboard.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #4157
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthRacer View Post
After reading this thread and the TC4 thread I thought the TC4 was supposed to be a real pig of a TC. I measured the race ready weight of my TC4 and it was underweight by 20oz!!!
You better hang on to that TC4, you must have the only copy of the super-extra-lightweight version ever released
VTA, 1/10 nitro, touring, USGT, F1, and more!
www.speedworldraceway.com
slashdriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:25 AM   #4158
Tech Master

Hey Myron,

A buddy of mine just sent me this cell phone picture... Here in Indianapolis, he saw the "Batmobile" come flying past him on the street. He followed it and got a picture of it while parked...HA! It's fully plated and legal. The Indiana license plate says "GOTHAM" on it. Pretty kewl.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-batmobileindianapolisih.jpg  
USVTA #144
IndyHobbies.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #4159
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeoeo327 View Post
20 oz. underweight, or 20 grams underweight? If your scale says that car is 20 ounces underweight in a "race ready" configuration, I'd weigh it again on a different scale. There's no way a TC4 weighs under 1000 grams unless there's no electronics onboard.

LOL woops - 20oz underweight!!!
DarthRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #4160
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)
Default Great VTA showing at the Region 2 Carpet Championships

Congratulations to Clayton Young for winning VTA at Region 2 On-Road Carpet Championship! This race was held on Feb. 9, 2013 at Middle River Hobbies near Baltimore, Maryland.

Here's the VTA piece from the official article...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAR Racing View Post
Excerpt from www.roarracing.com/?p=1928
... The final class of the day bringing the most entertainment and excitement to the field was the Vintage Trans-Am (VTA). The racers were thrown a left turn while lining up on the starting grid when the race director lined the cars up in reverse order facing the opposite direction. Yes, it was time to run the track in reverse direction. This proved to be a problem for many of the guys in the first few laps of the race. The reverse direction of the track proved to be challenging for all but the number four qualifier of Clayton Young. Young participated in four classes through out the event and placed on the podium in at least two them. His best driving skills appeared to be while driving in the reverse direction during the VTA class.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:25 AM   #4161
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
hey guys dont forget that some nice events are coming up real soon that are all about USVTA racing...make sure you come out and support these and other events that fly the USVTA banner

Mar 2nd Carpet Showdown at One Lug Raceway Albertville AL
2013 Carpet Showdown at One Lug Raceway

Mar 9th KING OF THE ROAD at MRCR Mishawaka,Indiana
http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=383981

April 12-14th U.S. VTA Scale Nationals Winthop Harbors,IL.."THE NATIONALS"
2013 USVTA Scale Nationals April 12 - 14

June 7-8th Ultimate Trans Am Championship Mike's Hobby Shop Carrollton,TX
*** Ultimate Trans Am Championship ***

Sept 19-22nd U.S. VTA+ Southern Nationals in Music City, U.S.A. Thunder RC
details coming soon
Bumping this post up 'cause I just spent too many minutes looking for it.
beemerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #4162
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

The Ultimate Trans-Am Championship Race Flyer has been updated. A 4th race class (F1) has been added and 3 new sponsors joined to support the F1 class.

You can download a copy of the Race Flyer as a PDF copy or a MS Word copy by clicking on the icons below.

Last edited by wwddww34; 02-25-2013 at 04:44 PM.
wwddww34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #4163
Tech Regular

Guys, I am compiling a list of parts for converting my old TC3 to VTA. Here is what I have:

HPI
#3810 VINTAGE 8 SPOKE WHEEL 31mm WHITE 6mm OFFSET
#3805 VINTAGE 8 SPOKE WHEEL 26mm WHITE 0mm OFFSET
#17546 1970 FORD MUSTANG BOSS 302 BODY (200mm)
#4797 Vintage Racing Tire 31mm D-Compound
#4793 Vintage Racing Tire 26mm D-Compound

Associated
6180 Driver, unpainted, 1:10

What I am wondering is if I will need spacers or something for the wheels. Will this work, or am I missing any parts (aside from electrics, that is)?
GeekSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:33 PM   #4164
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSpeed View Post
Guys, I am compiling a list of parts for converting my old TC3 to VTA. Here is what I have:

HPI
#3810 VINTAGE 8 SPOKE WHEEL 31mm WHITE 6mm OFFSET
#3805 VINTAGE 8 SPOKE WHEEL 26mm WHITE 0mm OFFSET
#17546 1970 FORD MUSTANG BOSS 302 BODY (200mm)
#4797 Vintage Racing Tire 31mm D-Compound
#4793 Vintage Racing Tire 26mm D-Compound

Associated
6180 Driver, unpainted, 1:10

What I am wondering is if I will need spacers or something for the wheels. Will this work, or am I missing any parts (aside from electrics, that is)?
I see you're a So Cal. Oxnard guy, there's gonna be VTA at WCRC in La Mirada CA tomorrow 10am, VTA at TQ RC Raceway in Chino CA Sunday and also VTA at Camarillo/Roadrunners track on Sunday if you get a chance to check any of em out.
Don't think you need any spacers or anything, should just bolt em on and go.
All your parts are readily available at tqrcracing.com and Sean is a great guy.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #4165
Tech Regular

I am actually heading up to Lake Arrowhead with the family this weekend, but I have been out to Camarillo several times. I saw that last time they had 10 VTA cars and 10 Minis. Those are the classes I am looking at running.

Thanks for the help, I will check out tqracing as well.
GeekSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:43 AM   #4166
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSpeed View Post
I am actually heading up to Lake Arrowhead with the family this weekend, but I have been out to Camarillo several times. I saw that last time they had 10 VTA cars and 10 Minis. Those are the classes I am looking at running.

Thanks for the help, I will check out tqracing as well.
Very cool, really hoping VTA will finally take hold here in So Cal.
Camarillo is running full USVTA rules while at TQ, Cal Raceway and now WCRC we've been running 21.5 with the 1550g weight limit only and that seems to have coaxed over 20 racers around here to step into Trans Am racing.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:28 AM   #4167
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I finally got a chance to run my VTA this past weekend. We only had 3 cars because this was our first VTA race locally. Fortunately we have at least another 5-6 guys all building cars. After yesterday, we might have even more! The cars were a big hit with other racers and spectators alike!

But back to the race... I was really impressed! Since these cars have vintage styled tires, no wings, lots of weight, and pretty slow motors, I had pretty low expectations for the amount of speed they'd be able to generate....both on the straights and in the corners. Boy, was I mistaken! The car handled remarkably well and the straightaway speeds were rather impressive! In fact, I didn't change a thing to the car all day. It could use a few tweaks, sure, but the tires were brand new and I hear they need to be scrubbed quite a bit so I kept my setup consistent. The car just got better and better and I'm very happy with it! And the tires barely show any wear so far. Wow...

What I did underestimate was how much weight I'd need to add to my TC6 to make it legal! Even with a heavily Shoe Goo'd body and driver I had to add well over 100g of weight. It took me actually applying all of the weight yesterday morning to fully grasp how much that is! I was struggling to find good places for it all. I managed to put it all on the lower chassis, but will re-do it for the next race just to keep a neat appearance (yes, I'm one of those types!).

I also ran USGT and had a blast with it, too, but I've gotta tell ya... If I could only choose one class to race, it'd be VTA w/o question!

Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:44 AM   #4168
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I see you were racing in a parking lot. VTA is a good class for the spectators to watch. It always is fun to hear kids rooting for a specific car to win.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #4169
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer View Post
I see you were racing in a parking lot. VTA is a good class for the spectators to watch. It always is fun to hear kids rooting for a specific car to win.
Yep! But interestingly enough, it was mostly adults who made the effort to come talk to me in the pits and ask questions about it. The USGT car (also painted to look realistic, BTW) garnered some attention, but the Camaro really seemed to draw people in. What was really cool to me was that everyone said it was the realistic appearance that attracted them. Since I always paint my racecars to look like real cars, I found that particularly rewarding.

Oh, and one other thing we noticed was that with all the extra weight the cars seemed to be able to rub fenders a bit more without completely getting out of shape. Lots of fun!
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #4170
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Guys at my local track 'The Grove Racing Center' in Rock Hill SC are building interest in the VTA cars. The rules are a little loose for right now to get people in to try it. The race director has the timing set for a 13 second break-out to keep people honest. I was hanging out at the shop on Saturday and there was a lot of talk about the class. It seems us older guys are the ones really interested due to the looks and speeds. The shop is fully embracing the class by stocking tires, wheels, and bodies!

Come visit us here:
http://www.carolinasrcracers.com/for...e=vintage-t-cs
DarthRacer is offline   Reply With Quote