Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 09:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by squig
I am new to VTA and haven't had much run time. Do the ESC's get warm enough to warrant a fan on the ESC with VTA? I saw many ESC's do not include a fan but has an option. Any thoughts or opinions?
My Edge doesnt get warm at all.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:38 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by miket3
Another good night of racing at Michiana rc raceway (MRCR). we had 10 USVTA cars, enough for 2 heats and 5 outlaw vta cars tonight.

currently have 3 USGT cars, with talk of that growing very soon.

Mike
Anyone know what "outlaw VTA" is? I'm guessing its either modified/non spec or the drivers get to holster their pistols on the stand.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:55 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Pretty much the same rules that roar uses for VTA. 1450g weight limit, any 25.5 motor, any roar approved blinky speedo. Any 2s battery maybe (not sure about the battery one).
Old 02-12-2013, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

We had a great VTA turn-out (18 cars) in Indy last Friday. We even had a C main!! Best weekly racing this year.

----------

In response to motor/speed control temps...

I have been running my VTA car with just a large heat sink (no fan) on my motor for the past year - indoors on carpet. Unless my setup was really bad or I overgeared my car, my motor stayed under 160 degrees. I've never temped my GTB speed control, but have never noticed it being warm to the touch.

If you are running outside during the summer on an asphalt track, it would be advisable to run a fan on the motor and/or speed control just to be safe. However in my experience you don't need a fan on your motor/speed control when running VTA inside. If your motor and/or speed control are getting excessively hot, it may be an indication that something isn't working well on your car.

Bottom line, you don't need cooling fans to win in VTA. However, anything to help keep your electronics cool will extend their life.

-----------

Here is a link on Tower Hobbies to the Associated TC3 #3928 heat sink I'm using (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTG84&P=7)
Old 02-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

I use the fan that came with the Justock to cool the motor.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:39 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by anr211
Pretty much the same rules that roar uses for VTA. 1450g weight limit, any 25.5 motor, any roar approved blinky speedo. Any 2s battery maybe (not sure about the battery one).
I'm curious if there is much of a difference, if any, in lap times for outlaw VTA? I'm converting my USGT to VTA and find it somewhat annoying to have to pull a new orion esc out of it when it wouldn't give me an advantage unless I wanted to cheat. I don't think anyone local would care, if its in blinky, so that's why I'm curious what your observations at Michiana Raceway are. I am still going to change it because I want the ability to travel with it. Thanks
Old 02-12-2013, 12:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default VTA

Outlaw VTA at our track came about by not enforcing the USVTA rules and letting one thing go to another then all of a sudden you have cars weighing 1400_1460 grams all running 6500 mah 100 C lipos with multiple 25.5's.

It's tough to pull it back so esssentially 2 classes were started. USVTA by the rules and Outlaw.
outlaw is 1450 grams, any esc in blinky and at our track a novak 25.5 or phantom 25.5 with stock rotors. As for performance there is a difference with the advantage to the outlaw car. Some of which is contributed to the electronic's and some from being 100 grams lighter.

Since we split the classes USVTA has grown 3 times and outlaw has the orig 5-6 guys. Our season is almost over as the track runs winter only so were waiting to see what next year brings. A few of us have started running the USGT cars and we have that as a class at our "King Of The Road" trophy race March 9TH.

The guys who travel built USVTA cars from the beginning because we can race it anywhere and if someone comes to our track they know their racing equally prepped cars. I call Outlaw a bastard class, as in no one else runs it. From my understanding even roar races use 1550 grams the last 2 yrs. They haven't been 1450 since 2010.

Mike H

Originally Posted by MarkerInbound
I'm curious if there is much of a difference, if any, in lap times for outlaw VTA? I'm converting my USGT to VTA and find it somewhat annoying to have to pull a new orion esc out of it when it wouldn't give me an advantage unless I wanted to cheat. I don't think anyone local would care, if its in blinky, so that's why I'm curious what your observations at Michiana Raceway are. I am still going to change it because I want the ability to travel with it. Thanks
Old 02-12-2013, 12:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

In response to MarkerInbound

It has been shown in actual racing conditions using ROAR VTA rules that blinky speed controls don't have an advantage over the USVTA approved speed controls. The problem is that for club racing, there is no way to prevent the racers from cheating unless they tech each car each time they hit the track.

The problem with allowing ROAR approved blinky speed controls when everyone else is running USVTA approved speed controls, is that I will accuse you of cheating. I know you aren't getting an advantage unless you (to use your words) "wanted to cheat". I can't be certain you aren't cheating unless I tech your car before each heat/main.

To be fair and realistic, I would never ask anyone to buy a new speed control just to try out VTA. But you already have the answer to your question - Run your ROAR approved VTA car in USGT. A well setup VTA car can be surprisingly competitive on a small to medium sized carpet track (Michiana carpet track). At worst you might be 1-2 laps off TQ in USGT. At our track in Indy, the better USVTA drivers would normally qualify in the USGT A-main on a local club race night.

Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 02-12-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:33 PM
Tech Adept

That makes sense. Thanks guys

Another Question: I am in the process of putting a 25.5T stator, part# S6625, in a second hand Novak Ballistic 10.5T motor. The rotor is a little damaged from a pinion screw by the previous owner but workable. What is the best way to tech the rotor for the required 1.3mm VTA limit and where is it measured from? Thanks
Old 02-12-2013, 05:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Attention all USVTA enthusiasts, take a look at the official UTAC Race web page here -->http://www.ultimatevta.com
Old 02-12-2013, 06:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

"In effect for this race. N.E."

What means this?

Originally Posted by wwddww34
Attention all USVTA enthusiasts, take a look at the official UTAC Race web page here -->http://www.ultimatevta.com
Old 02-12-2013, 07:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marv

What means this?
You have to read both sides of the USVTA shield. It says "USVTA Rules 100% in effect for this race. N.E." (No Exceptions)
Old 02-12-2013, 07:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by miket3
Outlaw VTA at our track came about by not enforcing the USVTA rules and letting one thing go to another then all of a sudden you have cars weighing 1400_1460 grams all running 6500 mah 100 C lipos with multiple 25.5's.

It's tough to pull it back so esssentially 2 classes were started. USVTA by the rules and Outlaw.
outlaw is 1450 grams, any esc in blinky and at our track a novak 25.5 or phantom 25.5 with stock rotors. As for performance there is a difference with the advantage to the outlaw car. Some of which is contributed to the electronic's and some from being 100 grams lighter.

Since we split the classes USVTA has grown 3 times and outlaw has the orig 5-6 guys. Our season is almost over as the track runs winter only so were waiting to see what next year brings. A few of us have started running the USGT cars and we have that as a class at our "King Of The Road" trophy race March 9TH.

The guys who travel built USVTA cars from the beginning because we can race it anywhere and if someone comes to our track they know their racing equally prepped cars. I call Outlaw a bastard class, as in no one else runs it. From my understanding even roar races use 1550 grams the last 2 yrs. They haven't been 1450 since 2010.

Mike H
Just my rhetorical curiosity because I'm never going to race an "Outlaw VTA" class, but if you're going to do this then why allow only two motors? Seems there are a few new 25.5 motors on the market that some people may want to play "motor of the month" with. Unless it's just something to make a handful of guys happy until the class dies. But you could probably kill it off quicker if you allowed all motor brands.

You are correct about ROAR. The last two national events that ran VTA were 1550 grams and 25.5 motors even though it seems they still haven't updated the rule book. The difference with ROAR is that any "approved" 25.5 motor is allowed with any "approved" speed control capable of non-timing "blinky" race mode. They also have no limit on battery capacity. So this class is truly unique to your track because it doesn't fit either ROAR or USVTA rules.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by Marv
Originally Posted by iadevil
Originally Posted by wwddww34

What means this?
You have to read both sides of the USVTA shield. It says "USVTA Rules 100% in effect for this race. N.E." (No Exceptions)
Bingo.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thought id share some VTA Aus Style action at Bathurst last year
Hope you guys enjoy it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-0R4pDC6vE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.