TLR22 / Tekin RS / D4SS 6.5 / Futaba 9551 / ORCA 6000 /SCMOD,
F14 carpet Oval Chassis too!
alloyslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:25 PM   #4007
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeckler View Post
Kinda. I don't have a TC4, and a very quick search makes me think Parma doesn't make a bumper for it anymore. But I did find they have a kind of universal block of foam, just a big rectangular block. I think I have an idea of what to try. I just have to see how/if my charger's foam cutting mode works. Thanks.
Not my USVTA bumper or body =

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-dscn4572.jpg

But same principle =

I used a U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-dscn4600.jpg

To cut my U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-dscn4602.jpgU.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-dscn4603.jpg

And two side servo tape to hold the two separate bumpers together

But my car isn't a TC4

So my method might not work for you...

I have a virtually idiot-proof way for making the post holes in the foam block...

Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:49 PM   #4008
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mera'din View Post
Not sure everone is getting it. Yeah, the VTA format is the foundation for our class and a pretty awesome format at that. We chose to limit it a bit further to keep the speeds down. You can gear a VTA car to run pretty much the same speeds as a 17.5 at our track due to the size. It is purely the size of the track that dictates the necessity to reduce the speeds.

Yes, the FDR limit keeps the speeds down, that is the point.

Yes, some motors are faster than others. Same car, same setup, same FDR and with motor A the lap times were 8.45 seconds. Change the motor and the laptimes went to 9.2 seconds. Having no gear limit or timing limit allows the racers to speed up their cars to be competitive.

Yes, the fast guy will always be fast, they are good drivers. This just allows us to give the Fast drivers with a crappy motor a chance to keep up rather than have to reach into his pocket and gamble with a new motor.

We choose to limit the speeds to keep it close and fun. I'm done talking about our local rule and how it benefits us. I am not trying to get the national rules changed. Come to our track and see what 7 cars all going the same speed in a 4 foot lane it like! It is indeed like a boxing match!
http://www.rctech.net/forum/11754660-post1.html
-Dutch- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:02 PM   #4009
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Yeah, saw that this afternoon. For now, the RPM of the wheels is working great...and a lot easier too.

Second thought...I don't trust Adams, they make up everything!

"Leave it to Steever", custom paint masks, decals, and paint.
Meradin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:35 PM   #4010
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com View Post
Saw this video on YouTube. VTA action at the Snowbirds!

In-car camera. (Technology is SO cool!)

This was taken in the last two days it says...

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
I shoot that on Tuesday, will try to do some more ... today was crazy busy
Rojna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:30 AM   #4011
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeckler View Post
So, as has been mentioned many, many times, and even the pictures above show, these bodies get some serious abuse. What are some of you guys running for front bumpers? I'm wondering if it's possible to custom fit a body hugging bumper so even if the car does "tap" a board occasionally, the impact can be transferred to the bumper rather that mashing in the front of the body.
The TC3 can run the RPM bumper which is what I'm using. Its a wonderful thing for me and my occasional Kamakazi behavior. Do these also fit the TC4's?
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-tc3rpmbumper.jpg  
USVTA #144
IndyHobbies.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:10 AM   #4012
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If you are running a TC4 (and possibly the TC5), you can use an RPM NTC3 plastic bumper at the front of your car. You will need to use the stock bumper AND the RPM bumper. You will also want to buy Assoc. part #2232 (rubber bushings) to help secure the bumper.

Here is a link on RPM's website
http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/products/assoc/chassis.htm

Here is a picture of the bumper

As far as better/wider than OEM foam bumpers, Parma PSE makes foam bumpers for several different typs of touring cars. Here is a link.
http://parmapse.shptron.com/c/rc-car..._front-bumpers

If they don't sell a bumper for a specific car (or is discontinued like their TC4 bumper), they do sell a rectangular bumper which can be cut to fit. Here is a picture of the generic foam bumper:

Lastly, if you just are wanting to fill the gap between your current bumper & VTA body, you can also use HPI part #6273. These are self-adhesive foam bumper strips. Here is a link to this product:
http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/6273/

And a photo:
Old 02-01-2013, 07:52 AM   #4013
Tech Master

Another common topic on the thread is how to reinforce an R/C car body and/or how to secure parts of a 2-piece body. Here are a few products that can be readily found at most big box hardwares stores or large retail outlets (Wal-mart, Target, etc)

Shoe Goo (http://www.eclecticproducts.com/shoegoo.htm)

Shoe Goo is great for the front end of a car because it will flex when full cured. The only drawback to using Shoe Goo is that it can take several hours to set and over 24 hours to fully cure. Not the best solution for race day repairs.
---------

Liquid Nails (http://www.liquidnails.com/products/green-glue-LN207)

Liquid Nails is a similar product to Shoe Goo, except when fully dried/cured it seemed to be a bit more rigid. I've used this product on the HPI 'Cuda at the seam of the hood/quarter panels and it has helped prevent the front end from drooping due to contact with other objects (translated: poor driving).
----------

Fibreglass Mesh Tape (commonly called drywall mesh tape or drywall joint tape). (http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cata...gry=Search+All)

Most people use the tape to help reinforce areas of the car that are prone to breaking or falling off (the nose or 2-piece body parts). They will place the tape in the area prone to damage and then cover it with Shoe Goo (or similar). Look for the tape that is self-adhesive as it makes it easier to use.
---------

Nylon screws/nuts (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPM80&P=7)

I have used nylon screws to secure the rear 2-piece section on HPI bodies that have a separate rear bumper piece. I usually put a screw in the section where the rear bumper piece secures to the rear quarter panels. While it may not be the most visually appealing solution, it is light weight and helps prevent the rear of the body falling out due to contact (or poor driving).
----------

Of course any of the solutions will add weight to your car and should be applied as sparingly as possible. Also silcone glues (and even double-sided tape) can react with paint. It is best to let your new paint job cure for several days before you apply any adhesive to the inside of your body.

Sorry for hijacking the thread with my latest posts. Hopefully I have provided some useful info.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #4014
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer View Post
Fibreglass Mesh Tape (commonly called drywall mesh tape or drywall joint tape). (http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cata...gry=Search+All)

Most people use the tape to help reinforce areas of the car that are prone to breaking or falling off (the nose or 2-piece body parts). They will place the tape in the area prone to damage and then cover it with Shoe Goo (or similar). Look for the tape that is self-adhesive as it makes it easier to use.
I use gauze pads instead of the fibreglass tape. Just open one up and cut it into strips or use the kind that comes on a roll. It gives the shoe goo some structure to help it hold it's shape. Lets you use less shoe goo for the same result.

3 3Racing Sakura Zeros: Mustang Boss VTA // Lexus LFA USGT // MazdaSpeed 6 TC
Mini M03 & M05
Life is better with a soundtrack
FauxMako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #4015
Tech Master

Thanks for posting about the guaze pads. I was wondering if there was a readily available cheap material that could be used instead of the dryway tape.

-----------

In response to below, gauze has a tighter weave and might prove to be stronger. Also you might be able to scavenge the pad in a large adhesive bandage if you have one laying around (technically free, right?)

Also I tend to injury myself when working on my rc car, so the guaze might save my life

Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 02-01-2013 at 02:44 PM.
IndyRC_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #4016
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer View Post
Thanks for posting about the guaze pads. I was wondering if there was a readily available cheap material that could be used instead of the dryway tape.
I dont know about where you live, but a roll of drywall tape was like $3 at Lowe's here. Gauze costs more than that
Old 02-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #4017
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

how many racers were at the southern nationals this year?
Old 02-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #4018
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullFrog View Post
how many racers were at the southern nationals this year?
hummm...about this many in 2011, and this many in 2012
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-img_1292.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-entries-.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-p1020100.jpeg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-p1020097.jpeg  
January 21, 2017 Thunder RC Raceway
http://events.rcsignup.com/events/displayEvent.cfm?id=5313
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #4019
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

are you at the birds
Old 02-02-2013, 07:06 AM   #4020
Tech Fanatic

added some more usvta videos from todays qualifing

http://rcactionpics.com/2013/video.html
Rojna is offline   Reply With Quote