R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #376
Tech Master
 
Jerz616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dallas,TX
Posts: 1,045
Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronc4now View Post
do you guys need to add bigger wheel hexes to get to 200mm or do the hpi wheels fit fine with out adding
answer found !!
no right ?
The HPI rears have 6mm of offset to get to the 200 rear width. All the HPI bodies fit great. Some of the others are not so great and are a little too wide.
__________________
Ryan Gracey

XRAY T4'14/ORCA VXX/ORCA TX 5.0
XRAY XB8'14
Jerz616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #377
Tech Champion
 
snoopyrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tunnel Hill GA
Posts: 5,043
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

190 +6+6=202 plus you have to consider that the wheel and tire are 31mm not 26. That's another 5mm on each side. The hpi vintage shells are actually 210 in the back 200 up front.

So the short answer is use the approved bodies on a 190mm chassis with the required wheels and tires and it will fit most of the time. HPI and Proline shells fit the best for me.
__________________
www.battlefieldraceway.com Racing videos at http://www.youtube.com/snoopyrc

Last edited by snoopyrc; 04-07-2012 at 11:35 PM.
snoopyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:25 AM   #378
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: NY&FL
Posts: 3,359
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Got a question for you guys with bigger race programs. How do you folks generally handle arranging the class when you're working with both inexperienced and experienced drivers ?? For example: Given that you may not be able to fill a "novice" class....do you run VTA with both novice and experienced drivers ?? More important is young drivers. Do you crate a "youngster" class that may have only a couple of drivers or do you mix them with everybody else ??

My feeling has generally been that we're a club first so we all operate together regardless of skill level or age. That gives the newbie something to learn from "real time" and the experienced guys can actually see what the newbie is doing and offer help.

Thoughts ??
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #379
Tech Elite
 
Ray Murray's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hackistan
Posts: 3,631
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
Got a question for you guys with bigger race programs. How do you folks generally handle arranging the class when you're working with both inexperienced and experienced drivers ?? For example: Given that you may not be able to fill a "novice" class....do you run VTA with both novice and experienced drivers ?? More important is young drivers. Do you crate a "youngster" class that may have only a couple of drivers or do you mix them with everybody else ??

My feeling has generally been that we're a club first so we all operate together regardless of skill level or age. That gives the newbie something to learn from "real time" and the experienced guys can actually see what the newbie is doing and offer help.

Thoughts ??
I know I would re-arrange the heats so the faster drivers are in one heat, and the newer drivers are in another.

Also, you can put more experienced drivers in the faster heat (say 8-10), and fewer (say 4-5) in the slower heat, to give the newer drivers more space on the track.

I know this is pretty much setting up the mains before you even start, but all will be happier racing within their skill level.

If you only have one or two newbies, then you really have to mix them in and point them out (by car color) to the other racers, so they know there is a newbie or two in their heat. That way, they can pass with caution....LOL
__________________
Dee Lee is a nut and I don't condone what he will say next! (LOL)
WWSD....What Would Scooby Doo???
Ray Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:30 AM   #380
Tech Master
 
bronc4now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hoffman Estates,IL
Posts: 1,378
Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerz616 View Post
The HPI rears have 6mm of offset to get to the 200 rear width. All the HPI bodies fit great. Some of the others are not so great and are a little too wide.
Ok thanks actually my car says its 188mm wide so it will be right at 200mm at the rear..
Next ?
I asked this in the sakura zero s tread but id like to see what some of you say .
Gearing for 25.5 vta ,so far I've heard with the vertical motor mount a can fit a 83t spur (smallest )and 40t pinion in 64 pitch ..does this sound right ?
What are you running? Thanks
__________________
RACE-BASH-CRAWL
Two many toys not enough time..
bronc4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #381
Tech Master
 
Jerz616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dallas,TX
Posts: 1,045
Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronc4now View Post
Ok thanks actually my car says its 188mm wide so it will be right at 200mm at the rear..
Next ?
I asked this in the sakura zero s tread but id like to see what some of you say .
Gearing for 25.5 vta ,so far I've heard with the vertical motor mount a can fit a 83t spur (smallest )and 40t pinion in 64 pitch ..does this sound right ?
What are you running? Thanks
I run anywhere between a 3.32 fdr to a 3.66. I don't know what the internal ratio of your car is but my tc5 is a 2.0. So I run 88/53 or an 88/48. But starting with a 4.0 is a good start until you can see how your temps are. Start going down teeth on the spur and up on pinion tooth until your temps are between 140 and 150 degrees.
__________________
Ryan Gracey

XRAY T4'14/ORCA VXX/ORCA TX 5.0
XRAY XB8'14
Jerz616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #382
Tech Addict
 
FauxMako's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronc4now View Post
Ok thanks actually my car says its 188mm wide so it will be right at 200mm at the rear..
Next ?
I asked this in the sakura zero s tread but id like to see what some of you say .
Gearing for 25.5 vta ,so far I've heard with the vertical motor mount a can fit a 83t spur (smallest )and 40t pinion in 64 pitch ..does this sound right ?
What are you running? Thanks
Run the appropriate wheels and tires with the appropriate bodies. They are designed to go together.

As far as FDR goes, 4.0 is the suggested starting point. You'll probably go lower from there, but the actual amount you go lower will depend on you car, your track and your ability.

The IDR on the Sakura depends on which pullies you are running -- stock is 20/38 for 1.9 IDR. Most people switch to the 19t pulley on the layshaft which gives you a 2.0 IDR.

Either way most switch to 64p gears to get more fine tuning of FDR.

I use a 64p 93t spur and between 46t and 52t pinions which gives me a range of 4.04 to 3.58 (I've got a 2.0 IDR).
__________________
Mike

3 3Racing Sakura Zeros: Mustang Boss VTA // Lexus LFA USGT // MazdaSpeed 6 TC
Mini M03 & M05
Life is better with a soundtrack
FauxMako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:17 PM   #383
Tech Champion
 
DARKSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville-Memphis
Posts: 7,645
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Back from the Islands...what I miss?
__________________
Myron "BATTMAN" Kinnard
Team Associated/Reedy Powered/PROTOform/RockStar Paint, LLC
THUNDER JAM IX Snowbirds Warm-up
January 21, 2017 Thunder RC Raceway
http://events.rcsignup.com/events/displayEvent.cfm?id=5313
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #384
Tech Elite
 
wwddww34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 2,555
Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsa116 View Post
this class should have modified motor's not slow ass motor's cause the real cars are fast with big engines V-8 powered.

Paul
And we're going to assume YOU can handle a modified motor !? If you've ever tried a VTA car you'd know that our tires would make it a true handful. Not fun for the greater novice to sportsman level racers that we are. Lord knows if you're TRULY capable of racing mod then mod class is where you should be.
Yup, I've been there and done that. My first attempt at R/C car racing was with a 8T brushless motor in a Hot Bodies Cyclone TC with medium rubber (slick) tires. I knew it was too much for me to handle when I picked up my TC (for the 3rd time) after flying off the track and landing in the men's restroom. The 3rd time was when my CF chassis was cracked in two places. That's when I finally came to the conclusion that I should probably go slower.

Now if you're worried about "realistic speed" that would mimic the real V-8 powered muscle cars, then consider this. A 1/10 scale VTA car can reach speeds of 22 to 26mph on a carpet track. If you convert this scale speed to "real speed" you are looking at speeds between 220 to 260 mph. Have you ever seen a real V-8 powered U.S. Vintage Car go 220 mph?... I didn't think so.
__________________________________________________ __________

---->2012 Summer Carpet Shootout Series brought to you by Mikes Hobby Shop
wwddww34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #385
Tech Master
 
JustWill75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: DOUGLASVILLE GA.
Posts: 1,755
Send a message via AIM to JustWill75
Default Which one is better or faster

I'm running in USVTA with A EDGE and SS motor combo. I'm now considering gettig a Balistic 25.5 and just wanted to know if this is a faster motor? I've heard rumors that SS motors can be faster but it depends on the batch and I dont have the money to be out running through motors till I find that gem......

Are there any conditions where one motor might be better than the other. I curently race a mid sized technical track layout with a TC6.

Does everyone just crank the Timing all the way up on the ballistics or has anyone found that sweet spot.
__________________
TEAM ASSOCIATED // REEDY POWER // BLAST RC
JustWill75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #386
Tech Elite
 
wwddww34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 2,555
Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustWill75 View Post
I'm running in USVTA with A EDGE and SS motor combo. I'm now considering gettig a Balistic 25.5 and just wanted to know if this is a faster motor? I've heard rumors that SS motors can be faster but it depends on the batch and I dont have the money to be out running through motors till I find that gem......

Are there any conditions where one motor might be better than the other. I curently race a mid sized technical track layout with a TC6.

Does everyone just crank the Timing all the way up on the ballistics or has anyone found that sweet spot.
As far as motor speed is concerned in VTA, the SS and the Ballistic 25.5 are identical in speed. One benefit of the Ballistic motor is having the ability to change the sensor wire. Almost everybody who I race VTA with cranks the timing all the way to the last tick mark on the sticker. I found that the Ballistic motor temperature (after a 6-min race) will go up about 12F when you crank up the timing to max. My lap times did not improve when I switched from the SS motor to the Ballistic (but that could also be due to friction between my car body and the boards )
wwddww34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:21 AM   #387
Tech Master
 
cdwilliams1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Plymouth, MN
Posts: 1,055
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwddww34 View Post
(but that could also be due to friction between my car body and the boards )
__________________
I race at www.mncarpetoval.com !
cdwilliams1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #388
Tech Master
 
JustWill75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: DOUGLASVILLE GA.
Posts: 1,755
Send a message via AIM to JustWill75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwddww34 View Post
As far as motor speed is concerned in VTA, the SS and the Ballistic 25.5 are identical in speed. One benefit of the Ballistic motor is having the ability to change the sensor wire. Almost everybody who I race VTA with cranks the timing all the way to the last tick mark on the sticker. I found that the Ballistic motor temperature (after a 6-min race) will go up about 12F when you crank up the timing to max. My lap times did not improve when I switched from the SS motor to the Ballistic (but that could also be due to friction between my car body and the boards )
__________________
TEAM ASSOCIATED // REEDY POWER // BLAST RC
JustWill75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #389
Tech Adept
 
aarivers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: White House, TN
Posts: 208
Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwddww34 View Post
Now if you're worried about "realistic speed" that would mimic the real V-8 powered muscle cars, then consider this. A 1/10 scale VTA car can reach speeds of 22 to 26mph on a carpet track. If you convert this scale speed to "real speed" you are looking at speeds between 220 to 260 mph. Have you ever seen a real V-8 powered U.S. Vintage Car go 220 mph?... I didn't think so.
and if we really wanted to be anal about it we would be running F103GT's for the 2wd live axle feel of an old muscle car. Then these things really would be a handful.
__________________
USVTA - Schumacher Mi4LP
aarivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #390
Tech Champion
 
snoopyrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tunnel Hill GA
Posts: 5,043
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwddww34 View Post
My lap times did not improve when I switched from the SS motor to the Ballistic (but that could also be due to friction between my car body and the boards )
I hate it when that happens. I was considering waxing the outside of my shell to lower the coefficient of friction between the boards and my shell. Have you tried that? I really dont have time to wax all of the boards. Plus that would benefit everyones lap times and not just mine.
__________________
www.battlefieldraceway.com Racing videos at http://www.youtube.com/snoopyrc
snoopyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] speedsterblade Electric On-Road 5821 11-21-2016 11:39 AM
TeamNovak (U.S Vintage Trans-Am) NovakTwo Electric On-Road 329 12-07-2013 08:48 PM
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing squarehead Electric On-Road 14187 03-21-2012 02:43 PM
U.S. Vintage Trans Am Nationals: April 12th, 2008 squarehead Wisconsin & Illinois Racing 308 05-14-2008 08:56 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:34 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0