R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #3841
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraham37128 View Post
Again how can you add ceramic bearing when the rules states No modifications or optional parts allowed on motor can, endbell, stator, or rotor? Isn't ceramic bearings an optional part? Or changing them out would be a modification I would think?
Changing motor bearings is a maintenance item, no different than replacing bearings in the chassis.

Technically, a ceramic bearing would be considered an optional part, but then again, choosing between a teflon,metal,metal/rubber,rubber shielded, or ABEC rated bearings would/could also be considered an option as well.

The ceramic bearing rule was written to keep costs and perception down, guestimate, $4-7 bearing replacement, versus $15-20.

It's up to you, I don't run them or feel the need to run them.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #3842
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I guess that needs to be looked at?...the rule about being a Dork is more/less a joke..ha ha, but the next line states no optional parts, so that would make ceramics not legal...easy answer.....
January 21, 2017 Thunder RC Raceway
http://events.rcsignup.com/events/displayEvent.cfm?id=5313
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:50 AM   #3843
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Rob K

Get Rob K in here. He should make the decision!
jgraham37128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #3844
Tech Champion

Quote:
Get Rob K in here. He should make the decision!
pm him
January 21, 2017 Thunder RC Raceway
http://events.rcsignup.com/events/displayEvent.cfm?id=5313
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #3845
Tech Elite

USVTA bans all ceramic bearings ... chaos ensues !!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #3846
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiiina View Post
Think the part in green kinda answers it. Also as it is not in the the spirit of slower, controlled racing with realistic looking cars, consider it illegal.
The rules don't state ceramic bearings are illegal; only that their use will make you "a dork". If they are truly illegal, then the rules should state they're illegal.

Edit: Anxious to see what RobK has to say as I've always assumed they were legal but just frowned upon like overly colorful paint jobs.
TC6.1FT/1970 Mustang Boss 302, TC6.1WC/1969 Camaro SS

Last edited by bronicabill; 01-23-2013 at 09:53 AM.
bronicabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:16 AM   #3847
Tech Apprentice

[QUOTE
Most of the SS motors I have checked with my equipment show rpm ranges of 13,200-13,800 with extremely low amp and watt numbers, so they can be geared very differently then their Ballistic counterparts.

[/QUOTE]

"geared very differently" meaning you should gear higher or lower fdr then the ballistic ex: 4.0 ballistic vs 3.6 SS ?? (run bigger pinion with the SS)

Thanks.. I currently run a SS
Indyonroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #3848
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by muahdib4 View Post
Quick question, just getting started with VTA though raced Mini and TC in the past. I'm putting together my body but I'm not sure about the spoiler/wing rules. The rules state that you can use the included spoiler with the body but that you can't use a "wing". I'm running the HPI GT350 body and it comes with a pretty big "wing". Don't want to drill holes in the body if I will just have to remove it.
No wings...the Mustang doesnt come with a trunk spoiler like on the Camaro/Cuda....the TC looking wing isnt legal on any VTA cars
You can still make your own decklid spoiler like stated in the rules, right?

"For the HPI Mustangs which are not provided with a spoiler:
A lexan spoiler of 16mm total height from trunk deck, and overall chord of 20mm is allowable. All other bodies must use the spoiler included with that specific body set. Built in spoilers may not be enhanced. "

And I'm an idiot, what's a "chord"? Is that the extra 4mm it would take to attach it to the car?
Jeckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #3849
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

The cord is the distance from the body line to the top edge of the spoiler. On the mustang body I experimented with years ago I just cut out a flat piece of lexan to the width if the trunk lid, left about 1/4" to bolt to the trunk lid itself, and bent the lexan up at a 45 deg angle to form the spoiler (with heat so it would hold shape) at the back edge of the body. Very much like a Latemodel spoiler but without the endcaps. It actually looked pretty cool and period correct. Hope this helps.

p.s. I believe the definition of a chord is a line segment joining two points on any curve or angle.
IDC Precision Machining (www.idcwi.com)--Jewlery By M.E. (jewlerybymermer.com)--Trackside Raceway (www.trackside.com)--CRC Hobbies & Raceway (www.crchobbies.com)--The Track @ Harbor Hobbies (www.harbor-hobby.net)

Last edited by Racer X79; 01-23-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Racer X79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #3850
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Bearings are a wear part that CAN be replaced just like a sensor board going bad. Just because I used Ceramics as everybody knows I was dork even before I did that doesn't change the design of the motor. It's a wear part that CAN be replaced, just doing it with Ceramics as opposed to steel bearings makes you a dork.
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #3851
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashrcracer View Post
Bearings are a wear part that CAN be replaced just like a sensor board going bad. Just because I used Ceramics as everybody knows I was dork even before I did that doesn't change the design of the motor. It's a wear part that CAN be replaced, just doing it with Ceramics as opposed to steel bearings makes you a dork.
The rules state no optional parts. Ceramics are an optional part. I'm fine with it, I just want to make sure what I'm doing is legal. I'd hate to show up and someone say my motor isn't legal because I replaced the bearing with optional bearings.

No modifications or optional parts allowed on motor can, endbell, stator, or rotor
Old 01-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #3852
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X79 View Post
The cord is the distance from the body line to the top edge of the spoiler.

p.s. I believe the definition of a chord is a line segment joining two points on any curve or angle.
I think I get it. "Top edge" threw me off. So, I did what I should've done in the first place, and searched it. In automotive terms, it's basically the length, measured in the direction of airflow.
Jeckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:57 AM   #3853
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
The rules state no optional parts. Ceramics are an optional part. I'm fine with it, I just want to make sure what I'm doing is legal. I'd hate to show up and someone say my motor isn't legal because I replaced the bearing with optional bearings.

No modifications or optional parts allowed on motor can, endbell, stator, or rotor
Thats exactly how I see it, if your replacing a worn out bearing replace it with a factory part and not parts of the option list.

2013 SNOWBIRDS coverage
Rojna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #3854
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojna View Post
Thats exactly how I see it, if your replacing a worn out bearing replace it with a factory part and not parts of the option list.

2013 SNOWBIRDS coverage
Me too, but I want to see what RobK says.

JG
Old 01-23-2013, 12:26 PM   #3855
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashracer View Post

It is not illegal to race with ceramic bearings in your Ballistic motor. However you will be considered a "Dork".

Have you ever tried removing the bearing from a Novak Ballistic endbell? If you don't have the right extraction tools it is freaking hard! Without the proper tools you will most likely warp and damage the aluminum endbell and not be able to get a new bearing to fit in properly.

Most of the "Dorks" I know who race VTA with ceramic bearings in their Novak Ballistic had ordered a "Build-A-Ballistic" from Novak. See list below...