R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #346
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencason View Post
I didn't mean to say we needed a rules change. For big events, especially multi-day races, it could be a fun thing to try a 20-minute main. I was just surprised at the length.

I started in R/C when we struggled to make 6-minutes in 12rh scale with 1400 mah NiCads so 20 minutes is enormous.
Great opportunity to test the 5000mah lipo and 25.5 motor with high temp...will see which one blow up first. I can't wait to find out.
SPEED PASSION - King Golden, Speed Passion USA, Speed Power, Hirosaka Pro Products, East Coast Bodies, Schumacher Racing, Hurricane Motorsports, Serpent America, Sweep Racing USA. http://www.spautomobile.com/en/index.asp (SPEED PASSION AUTOMOTIVE)
NEW Speed Power/Speed Passion direct sale site - http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #347
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencason View Post
I didn't mean to say we needed a rules change. For big events, especially multi-day races, it could be a fun thing to try a 20-minute main. I was just surprised at the length.

I started in R/C when we struggled to make 6-minutes in 12th scale with 1400 mah NiCads so 20 minutes is enormous.
Take a look at the UF1 class rules for example. In a single race day each driver gets a single 2-minute Qualifier and his average lap time will seed him in the appropriate Main. Then there are three 10-minute mains with 2 mandatory pit stops. The 1st pit stop must be within the first 5 minutes of the race, the 2nd can be anytime before the end of the race. A "pit stop" marshal is responsible for putting a small sticker on each car that pulls into the pit stop lane. For a 20 minute long Main I could see how a pit stop would allow the driver to set his radio down and stretch his arms for a second. This would reduce the chances of carpal tunnel syndrome for the drivers.
__________________________________________________ ___________________

---->2012 Summer Carpet Shootout Series brought to you by Mikes Hobby Shop
wwddww34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #348
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

We ran a 15 main tue night and we all loved it. I used about 2500 m of my battery and my motor temp was 168 without a fan. The only issue was my hand went numb and forgot to blink my eyes.
mikea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:53 PM   #349
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
Great opportunity to test the 5000mah lipo and 25.5 motor with high temp...will see which one blow up first. I can't wait to find out.
We ran a 15 min. main Tues. nite at Harbor and my motor came off at 145 degrees. I have also ran 40+ minutes straight in practice with a brand new 5000 40c lipo.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:22 PM   #350
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

last enduro we had at Thunder RC last summer I ran 15 to 20 minute stints and mostly stopped as the front tires got so much traction build up that the car went loose at that point and then my laptimes started falling off. it was never over 150 with fan. I only would put back in 3000 to 3500mah back in. now what we did at the USVTA Southern Nationals which is coming in september again, was do triple "A" mains so you get 3 8 minute runs for 24 total minutes of running. You get to regroup after 8 minutes which leads to more likely finishing because as you go up in the length of the run you go down in the finish entries. something else you find out in an enduro also again it comes back to the local track. we have run 50 lap mains and 75 lap mains it makes it interesting. my track is the home track for MSR (myron's stupid races) aka darkside/battman
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:39 PM   #351
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr View Post
I like the idea of this class but I'm not a "Trans Am" fan. If there was something like this, I'd be all over it.

This shell is perfect for USGT.

So is this one.

And with some trimming on the wing this one.

and this one.

But unfortunately this one is for a chassis that is the wrong scale for USGT.

Wa wa wa wa.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:58 AM   #352
Tech Master

Is anyone else getting tired of looking at supposed VTA cars that don't have reallistic paint? Yeah some of the bodies look good but........
"It is highly preferred that bodies are detailed in race type livery in period-correct paint schemes. Fluorescent colors, wild graphics, chromes and non-period correct paint schemes are frowned upon"
Same with driver figure (some at the ROAR Nationals were 1/12 scale). It is a pity.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:10 AM   #353
Tech Master

Questions??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three View Post
Is anyone else getting tired of looking at supposed VTA cars that don't have reallistic paint? Yeah some of the bodies look good but........
"It is highly preferred that bodies are detailed in race type livery in period-correct paint schemes. Fluorescent colors, wild graphics, chromes and non-period correct paint schemes are frowned upon"
Same with driver figure (some at the ROAR Nationals were 1/12 scale). It is a pity.
Depends. Over the top 12th scale and tc style paint yes but I love street stock and modern custom paint that you may actually find on a full size car. I have attached my sons mustang body as an example.
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-1204111651c.jpg  
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:40 AM   #354
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Personally I like to see a little of both. Like my Alan Green Camaro is an exact replica of the real car Tony Hart races. But my 70 Camaro had a little personal twist when I painted the Camaro stripes, I marbled them. I dont feel the really crazy paint schemes belong in VTA, but wont ostracize someone for it. Personal twists on paint jobs makes it something personal to set someones car apart from the others IMHO.
Brooksphotodesign.net
Flying Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:57 AM   #355
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6376vette View Post
Depends. Over the top 12th scale and tc style paint yes but I love street stock and modern custom paint that you may actually find on a full size car. I have attached my sons mustang body as an example.
Nice notchback. Close enough to this one...

http://www.historictransam.com/Drivers/NickDeVitis.html

Or this one...

http://www.historictransam.com/Drive...ckMustang.html

to be considered realistic. I don't think the term "realistic" here is referring to actual paint jobs just as long as they look like period VTA cars. Simple lines and striping, number circles, fewer colors, etc. Even a "classic" flame job I think is acceptable even though no period cars ran them. Where it gets carried away is with some elaborate and colorful designs, neon colors, modern flame jobs, tear drops, overly artistic designs, dark tinted windows and all the other stuff you would only find in R/C. Lots of guys stray from the "spirit" of the class with this, but it's only slightly annoying, nothing to get upset about.
beemerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:18 AM   #356
Tech Elite

Also, one has to consider that the paint colors aren't the same as they were 40+ years ago. I don't mind a little variety, just as long as it's not too far carried away. Same with the driver figure, I've seen; Santa Claus, Snoopy, Trolls, etc ... along with the standard McCalister, HPI, Losi, etc. (IMO, are boring) along with my personal, Racer X and his chain steering wheel !!
It's all about the fun and creativity which makes VTA the best class in r/c !!
Old 04-07-2012, 09:02 AM   #357
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 106 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trytowin View Post
Also, one has to consider that the paint colors aren't the same as they were 40+ years ago. I don't mind a little variety, just as long as it's not too far carried away. Same with the driver figure, I've seen; Santa Claus, Snoopy, Trolls, etc ... along with the standard McCalister, HPI, Losi, etc. (IMO, are boring) along with my personal, Racer X and his chain steering wheel !!
It's all about the fun and creativity which makes VTA the best class in r/c !!
+1 my driver is a glow in the dark alien!
Old 04-07-2012, 10:26 AM   #358
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodchevy14 View Post
+1 my driver is a glow in the dark alien!
+1 narly !!
Old 04-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #359
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I dont mind some variety but I dont want to see touring paintjobs in VTA. I call them easter eggs and I like them. Just not in VTA.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #360
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 106 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
I dont mind some variety but I dont want to see touring paintjobs in VTA. I call them easter eggs and I like them. Just not in VTA.
+1...take a look at tony phalens paint job from the carpet nats. Bright colors done tastefully on a vta car.