Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Old 01-01-2013, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)

Anyone else have rapid wear of the front tires on the inside? Car handles great, A-main win capable car. But wearing front tire pretty fast? Any thoughts? I am only running about 1.5 Degrees front camber.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

never had to glue the sidewalls on carpet......
Old 01-01-2013, 01:34 PM
Tech Elite

Never even tried glue on the sidewalls either, not sure would really ever need to do it.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've never glued the sidewalls. I am not against it, but I have never T-rolled a VTA setup so I've never needed to.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

If you have a very tight track with an abrasive surface I find the tire rolls over too much and prematurely wears the front tires on the inside.

for gluing the sidewalls it's more for stopping traction rolling by adding a slippery surface near the edge of the tread. I have never used it but know others that have the wrong setup try it as a stop gap
Old 01-01-2013, 01:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JFuel11
Anyone else have rapid wear of the front tires on the inside? Car handles great, A-main win capable car. But wearing front tire pretty fast? Any thoughts? I am only running about 1.5 Degrees front camber.
What is your link positions? If you have alot of camber gain in the suspension when in a turn that will do it. No matter what your camber is set at on the tools you can possibly be gaining another 1.5*-2* when the chassis rolls into the turn. If you have 1.5* already, you can possibly be around 3*+ in the turns ( right where tire wear is the greatest ) Also, if you only put additive on the 1st few treads that will soften the sidewall and increase treadwear.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Okay Pete just bit the bullet and signed up for the snowbirds, lookin forward to getting to meet some of the faces behind the screen names.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

I find that the front tires wear faster on a chassis setup that pushes, and/or one that concentrates more weight towards the front of the car.

So if you are cranking 100% steering into it and the car isn't turning as well as it should, and/or you are using the steering to slow it down going into a corner, that's hard on the front tires.

When I balance my VTA car with more weight to the rear (I need about 70g of lead to hit 1550), the steering is better and the front tire wear is reduced. If I put the lead on the front, it pushes more and wears the front tires faster.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by shadowracer24
Okay Pete just bit the bullet and signed up for the snowbirds, lookin forward to getting to meet some of the faces behind the screen names.
I look forward to meeting you at Snowbirds. If you haven't already done it, please click on the green "I'm Going" button in the pic below. Trying to get an estimate count of how many people are going to Snowbirds.

Also, be sure to tell all of your friends about this race by clicking on one of the Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn icons at the top right corner of the web page.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Hi guys,

Just picked up some TC3 and TC4's for myself and my sons.

Went to order esc's and motors and bought the last 2 Novaks Amain had in stock. So I ordered 2 Speedpassion revention's for the last 2 cars but need 2 more motors because I cannot use a SpeedPassion 25.5

Can someone give a little insight into why only Novak motors are allowed?

I could see the level playing field if it were only one motor but with 3 different Novaks approved there is a difference just like there would be with a SpeedPassion compared to Novak.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mundy1
Hi guys,

Went to order esc's and motors and bought the last 2 Novaks Amain had in stock. So I ordered 2 Speedpassion revention's for the last 2 cars but need 2 more motors because I cannot use a SpeedPassion 25.5

I could see the level playing field if it were only one motor but with 3 different Novaks approved there is a difference just like there would be with a SpeedPassion compared to Novak.
I believe when the rules were made Novak was the only 25.5 motor available. Only recently have other manufacturers started making them.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:02 PM
Tech Regular

I glue the side walls as the rear tyres move around on the rims too much and can cause the car to randomly react during cornering. But the fact we run 17.5 blinky might not be helping that fact.

I also find my frot tyres wear out prety quick but iv put that down the the spool i run in the front
Old 01-01-2013, 06:20 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by The Captain
Originally Posted by Mundy1
Hi guys,

I believe when the rules were made Novak was the only 25.5 motor available. Only recently have other manufacturers started making them.
I believe that having only one make of motors (i.e. Novak) greatly reduces the need to have a pre-race tech inspection of everybody's motors. Having to conduct a pre-race motor tech inspection (like at any ROAR Nationals Race) is a big pain in the @$$ for both parties; the race director and the racers too.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:38 PM
Tech Elite

Spool or Diff in front?

Pros & Cons...

My thoughts:

Diff would allow the car to roll through the center of the corners better and inprove turn in. Also would reduce front tire wear

Spool helps car pull off corner and pull straight, but with such low HP in VTA are we really gaining much with a spool?
Old 01-01-2013, 07:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Questions??

Originally Posted by alloyslash
What is your link positions? If you have alot of camber gain in the suspension when in a turn that will do it. No matter what your camber is set at on the tools you can possibly be gaining another 1.5*-2* when the chassis rolls into the turn. If you have 1.5* already, you can possibly be around 3*+ in the turns ( right where tire wear is the greatest ) Also, if you only put additive on the 1st few treads that will soften the sidewall and increase treadwear.

I think this answers my question on the same subject, but I am unclear on couple things =

I have no traction roll at all with either setting

Yes, there was heavy chassis roll {tight course, many short tight 180 turns in a limited space}

Initial camber setting =
After five straight back to back 5 minute races
Front camber at -1.0
Front toe 0°
Rear camber at -1.0°
Rear toe at -2° {fixed}
Resulted in heavy wear on the outside edges of all tires with the front showing more that the rears

Next camber setting =
After five straight back to back 5 minute races
Front camber at -2°
Front toes at -1°
Rear at camber at -1.5°
Rear toe at -2° fixed
Resulted in heavy wear on the inside edges of all tires with the wear about even on all tires

I'm unclear on the term camber gain =
Chassis rolls and changes the camber setting as it rolls?

I'm not quite sure I understand how to reduce the chassis roll... (?)

Stiffer springs?

Shorten or lengthen or raise/lower (AND/OR both?) the camber link ?=
Sprint 2 has only one camber link/adjustment per each corner =
Each may be lengthened/shortened and slightly raise or lowered at the shock towers

Thank in advance

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.