Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Old 12-18-2012, 08:36 AM
Tech Adept

Is that a Tekin RS Speedo and a Tekin Redline motor in your VTA? Must be a ROAR-spec VTA...

Originally Posted by BLKNOTCH
Old 12-18-2012, 08:41 AM
Tech Initiate

Super clean wiring. That's the next task on my agenda.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Okay, since we are still on this glue discussion I have to admit I am following along because I am confused.

Are we talking about gluing the sidewalls on the outside of the rubber or gluing the tires to the rim?

The picture posted a while back referred to gluing the tire to the rim, on the inside of the tire. I think we can all agreed that is advisable!

Where I am confused is that I think the original suggestion was to spread glue on the outside of the tire, coating the sidewall and making it less grippy. This is questionalble and what the debate is about right?

Just trying to get on the same page.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:58 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Mera'din
Okay, since we are still on this glue discussion I have to admit I am following along because I am confused.

Are we talking about gluing the sidewalls on the outside of the rubber or gluing the tires to the rim?

The picture posted a while back referred to gluing the tire to the rim, on the inside of the tire. I think we can all agreed that is advisable!

Where I am confused is that I think the original suggestion was to spread glue on the outside of the tire, coating the sidewall and making it less grippy. This is questionalble and what the debate is about right?

Just trying to get on the same page.
You are right. It's about glue on the outside of the tire. The final word is that the Race Director/Track Owner makes a decision on what to allow at their track.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:04 AM
Tech Elite

I tried that back a while - it all flaked off after a few runs so I didn't bother anymore and worked on my setup to take a bit of forward bite out - stayed quick and no more traction roll. There ARE setup options to eliminate traction-rolls.

On the other hand, CA'ing the outside edges of foam tires is something I always do for my "normal" tires (i.e. not big race tires) as it lessens chunking and makes them last longer. . .
Old 12-18-2012, 09:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by GP40X
Also something coming soon in June so stay tuned.
Yes. Something is coming in June 2013 for all VTA racers. Stay tuned.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:09 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
(FYI: I don't glue the outside of my VTA tires - I made the A-main in VTA at Harbor Hobbies - my car was on the edge of rolling but I was careful how I drove it).

During all of the tire discussion, I have seen anyone explain why a VTA car might roll and why to mechanically adjust the car to prevent rolling. IMHO gluing the sidewall is masking a setup problem.

Can someone take some time to explain why traction rolls happen (other than the obvious too much grip) and which setup changes (other than gluing the sidewall) help prevent rolling? This is an opportunity for someone to help everyone have more fun in this class.

Thanks in advance for helping newer VTA racers (as well as older racers like me who always struggle on high bite tracks).
As you stated, the reason for traction roll is too much grip and the way to correct this is to lower your roll center. High roll center has more grip than a low roll center. The way to do this is to either raise the inside of the rear link or lower the outside. However you should never go beyond it being parallel to the lower arm. Try it you will notice the difference.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

This thread is absolutely ridiculous, and has played a huge role in ensuring I will never race VTA outside of my local tracks. Positively asinine.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:35 AM
Tech Adept

@LloydLoar - I completely disagree. This thread is great! It allows VTA racers a place to discuss topics pertinent to VTA racing. It goes to show you how many people are actively interested in VTA.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:39 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by wwddww34

Ok. I am hooked. How big is it?
Old 12-18-2012, 09:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
(FYI: I don't glue the outside of my VTA tires - I made the A-main in VTA at Harbor Hobbies - my car was on the edge of rolling but I was careful how I drove it).

During all of the tire discussion, I have seen anyone explain why a VTA car might roll and why to mechanically adjust the car to prevent rolling. IMHO gluing the sidewall is masking a setup problem.

Can someone take some time to explain why traction rolls happen (other than the obvious too much grip) and which setup changes (other than gluing the sidewall) help prevent rolling? This is an opportunity for someone to help everyone have more fun in this class.

Thanks in advance for helping newer VTA racers (as well as older racers like me who always struggle on high bite tracks).
Adding glue isnt really masking a setup issue. Its really more of tuning aid. Most cars are their fastest just as they are about to traction roll. If adding some glue to the tires helps eliminate this risk then its worth it. If you add the glue and your still traction rolling then you have a setup issue.

Your car traction rolls because your roll centers are too low and your car is actually rolling into the carpet or track. If you raise your roll center then your car will just roll but will not have as much traction.

General rules of Thumb to help with traction roll.
Raise your inner camber link locations
Shorten your camber links ~ longer links more traction shorter links less traction.
General rule is adding to the inner links less traction and raising the outer end of the link more traction.
Raise your arm mounts on the chassis the lower they are the more traction you have.
Less castor will help but effects many more parts of the car but is another thing to look at.
Sway bars help when done and set properly.
More camber and camber gain can help.

Originally Posted by AlGio
As you stated, the reason for traction roll is too much grip and the way to correct this is to lower your roll center. High roll center has more grip than a low roll center. The way to do this is to either raise the inside of the rear link or lower the outside. However you should never go beyond it being parallel to the lower arm. Try it you will notice the difference.
This is a misleading statement what your saying is correct about the raising the inner link location but you are raising the roll center. So that contradicts with your statement about a high roll center has more grip which I have never seen this ever be the case. When your roll center is low or too low then your car will have more traction than when its higher. Also depending on the car and its arm and link length you might have to go past parallel with the link.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Tech Adept

I hate using CA glue and I stay away from it as much as possible. When I have a new set of VTA tires to mount I prefer to pay somebody else to mount them for me.

When traction rolling became a problem for my car, I just installed a couple of these Anti-Roll Bars in the front and back of my car. Viola! The traction rolling went away!
Old 12-18-2012, 12:54 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rcsuicide
Originally Posted by wwddww34
Ok. I am hooked. How big is it?
Is it bigger than my dog, Pluto?
Old 12-18-2012, 02:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LloydLoar
This thread is absolutely ridiculous, and has played a huge role in ensuring I will never race VTA outside of my local tracks. Positively asinine.
Actually this thread is not representative of my racing experience at any track. When you are at the track its all about charging tuning and racing. Everyone is friendly and they are all very ready to help you. They want you to be your best and they dont want you out just because you forgot your SXT. None of this crap about glue and racing a 5001 mah battery. If my racing was like this thread, well I am not sure I would. I just thank God its not.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DontChangeUSVTA
Is it bigger than my dog, Pluto?
That's a big dog.... and yes it is bigger

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.