R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-16-2012, 07:02 PM   #3286
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
gluing the sidewalls works very well for me...I would try that 1st like stated
Maybe I will try this too if you could explain it a bit more. Where exactly does the glue go? Thanks!

R.I.P. - Kyosho Big Brute....T-Maxx .15....SC10 4x4
BigBrute_347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:10 AM   #3287
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrute_347 View Post
Maybe I will try this too if you could explain it a bit more. Where exactly does the glue go? Thanks!
Put a thin layer/coating of CA gule on the rubber sidewall of the tire, from the rim to the " ring " that goes around the tire where the tread starts.

I start with a back and forth motion, with the glue tip layed down on the tire. Squeeze the bottle until a small amount comes out and use the gluetip to spread it quickly and evenly. Once you start you'll see what I'm talking about.

The reason behind this is that the glue stiffens the sidewall and helps prevent the tire from flexing/rolling over onto the sidewall in a hard and sharp turn. Every pair of fronts I have I've had to glue up shortly after they get broken in due to racing on a high grip carpet track.

TLR22 / Tekin RS / D4SS 6.5 / Futaba 9551 / ORCA 6000 /SCMOD,
F14 carpet Oval Chassis too!
alloyslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:45 AM   #3288
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLSBOAT View Post
do you guys have a part number for this bumper. if it really helps for those who can't stay away from the walls and breaking front end parts, then i need it for my car.
I'm not sure if RPM makes them anymore. But, there are some on ebay. That's where I got mine:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TC3-Extended...ht_2959wt_1093
USVTA #144
IndyHobbies.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #3289
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This bumper mod is a MUST for any TC3 or 4.. the front end parts (c-hubs, arms) are not that sturdy. It will save you $ on front end parts in the long run...and prevent some DNF's.
speedsterblade wrote:
TC3/4; TC4FT Heavy Duty Bumper Mod
The Stock bumper is very narrow. Because of this it’s very easy to break front end parts due to the wheels taking most of the impact if it’s not a head on impact. A larger bumper can be fitted, which is wider and offers more protection and will save you parts on your TC3/4!

Better than stock: Simply replace the stock bumper/foam with Parm TC4 bumper/foam. Straight replacement no additional parts or mods required.
Parma Ultimate Bumper TC4
Part# 8049

Heavy Duty bumper: Replaces stock bumper/foam with Parma bumper/foam and adds a RPM hard plastic bumper under the foam for better impact resistance. A NitroTC3 front bumper is required for this mod to obtain the bushings which are used on the RPM bumper. *Note you can save some money and use the NitroTC3 bumper but the RPM fits so much better with the Parma bumper/foam.
Parts needed:
RPM high impact front bumper nitro tc3
Part# 80272

Parma Ultimate Bumper TC4
Part# 8049

Associated NitroTC3 front bumper *You need this for the bushings, the rpm bumper doesn't come with the bushings.
Part# 2232

Either bumper mod you choose will require the Parma Foam be cut down to clear your body of choice. It’s much easier if you have a cut, clear body to help you figure out what to cut down for clearance. I use a dremel w/ the round sanding drum and wood files to get the rough shape and then sand paper to finish and smooth it out.

Parma, RPM HD bumper:

http://www.nashrcracer.com/forum/vie...asc&highlight=
January 21, 2017 Thunder RC Raceway
http://events.rcsignup.com/events/displayEvent.cfm?id=5313
DARKSIDE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #3290
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I'm running the Xray Hard bumper on my TC and VTA and wow what a difference. I hit the pole yesterday and it took all of the shock. I have broken many c-hubs and knuckles at the same pole before

I race toy cars for fun. If I need to explain, you'll never understand.
jdeadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #3291
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloyslash View Post
Put a thin layer/coating of CA gule on the rubber sidewall of the tire, from the rim to the " ring " that goes around the tire where the tread starts.

I start with a back and forth motion, with the glue tip layed down on the tire. Squeeze the bottle until a small amount comes out and use the gluetip to spread it quickly and evenly. Once you start you'll see what I'm talking about.

The reason behind this is that the glue stiffens the sidewall and helps prevent the tire from flexing/rolling over onto the sidewall in a hard and sharp turn. Every pair of fronts I have I've had to glue up shortly after they get broken in due to racing on a high grip carpet track.
I've done this in TC and mini cooper, never thought I'd have to do it for VTA, but it will be something I do next time out on the rug. I got the set-up working well enough (too well!) on my car to produce one grip-roll during my last race. Still made the "A" despite the time lost from this event, but was lower than I wanted to be on the starting grid.

I would say that beyond "stiffening" the sidewall, it also allows for a tiny bit of slippage to occur (when the glued part of the tire contacts the rug), which is better than hooking and flipping.

Powered by Hotwings, Rolling Rock, and the urge to race toy cars...
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:06 AM   #3292
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloyslash View Post

is this not modifying the tire? putting glue where it doesnt go to stiffen the tire?
XB4 2016
savageboy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:31 AM   #3293
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by savageboy69 View Post
is this not modifying the tire? putting glue where it doesnt go to stiffen the tire?
It is no different than putting traction compound on the tires. Ultimately it is the Race Director /or/ Track Owner that makes that decision if traction compound, and , or gluing the sidewalls of the tire will be allowed at a particular track.
wwddww34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #3294
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Quote:
I believe the tire instructions show to glue the sidewall. So that would not be modifying the rules.

XRAY T4'14/ORCA VXX/ORCA TX 5.0
XRAY XB8'14
Jerz616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:35 AM   #3295
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwddww34 View Post
It is no different than putting traction compound on the tires. Ultimately it is the Race Director /or/ Track Owner that makes that decision if traction compound, and , or gluing the sidewalls of the tire will be allowed at a particular track.
oh its different

Grinding of tire tread is NOT permitted. Sanding of mold seam to remove seam is allowed. HPI Vintage Slicks and HPI Vintage Performance Tires are not allowed. Tire traction compounds are at the discretion of the track. No other altering, changing or softening of the tire is allowed. All decisions of the race promoter or track owner are final. No "double stuffing" of foam inserts allowed—only single stock vintage tire inserts are allowed.
XB4 2016
Old 12-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #3296
Tech Adept

Quote:
The glue hardens the sidewalls of the rubber tire, so it could be considered altering the tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USVTA Rules View Post
Tire & Wheel Specifications:
... Grinding of tire tread is NOT permitted. Sanding of mold seam to remove seam is allowed. HPI Vintage Slicks and HPI Vintage Performance Tires are not allowed. Tire traction compounds are at the discretion of the track. No other altering, changing or softening of the tire is allowed. No "double stuffing" of foam inserts allowed—only single stock vintage tire inserts are allowed.
Spec-R R1 - HPI #17519 1966 Mustang GT - Novak Ballistic - HobbyWing Justock ESC
HPI Racing Vintage 8-Spoke Wheels and Tires - Team EAM 5000mah 70C Lipo Battery
DontChangeUSVTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #3297
Tech Adept

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwddww34 View Post
oh its different

Grinding of tire tread is NOT permitted. Sanding of mold seam to remove seam is allowed. HPI Vintage Slicks and HPI Vintage Performance Tires are not allowed. Tire traction compounds are at the discretion of the track. No other altering, changing or softening of the tire is allowed. All decisions of the race promoter or track owner are final. No "double stuffing" of foam inserts allowed—only single stock vintage tire inserts are allowed.
So does gluing the sidewalls of VTA tires give the driver an unfair advantage over those who do not glue their sidewalls?
rcsuicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #3298
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsuicide View Post
So does gluing the sidewalls of VTA tires give the driver an unfair advantage over those who do not glue their sidewalls?
there is a advantage to it, but from what im reading in the rules its not allowed
XB4 2016
Old 12-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #3299
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

The instructions clearly show to glue the sidewall. Doing the instructions show it it can't be considered altering the tire. Here is a picture from the instruction sheet.
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-image.jpg  

XRAY T4'14/ORCA VXX/ORCA TX 5.0
XRAY XB8'14
Jerz616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #3300
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

O M G
January 21, 2017 Thunder RC Raceway
http://events.rcsignup.com/events/displayEvent.cfm?id=5313
DARKSIDE is online now   Reply With Quote