R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #286
Tech Elite

'78 Firebird should only be allowed if you use a Bert Reynolds/Sally Field, driver/passenger scale combo set, aka: Smokey and the Bandit !!
Old 04-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #287
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronc4now View Post
I know some said no but do you think that might change sometime ..
I'm sure hpi put this body out for the vta guys ..
I what a 70 1/2 Baldwin camaro from hpi
Actually HPI has several guys that are well aware of the rules and they know that this shell will not be allowed. I am sure the shell was produced for nostalgic car fans that will reminisce about the TA they knew as a kid. I wonder if we can find some body to Johnny Socko the front end of this thing into a legal 70-71 TA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trytowin View Post
'78 Firebird should only be allowed if you use a Bert Reynolds/Sally Field, driver/passenger scale combo set, aka: Smokey and the Bandit !!
And can get a buddy to chase you with a police car with the roof ripped off and Sherrif and son in law in tow.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #288
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Nikko made this 1972 Pontiac Firebird. It would be perfect for VTA racing except for the fact that it is 5 times heavier than any HPI body and it would crack if anything touched it while it's on the racetrack.

__________________________________________________ ___________________

2012 Summer Carpet Shootout Series brought to you by Mikes Hobby Shop

Last edited by wwddww34; 04-05-2012 at 02:46 PM.
wwddww34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #289
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Ok its a 78 ..
How about that spoiler on my 68 camaro .

J/k
Old 04-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #290
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwddww34 View Post
Nikko made this 1972 Pontiac Firebird. It would be perfect for VTA racing except for the fact that it is 5 times heavier than any HPI body and it would crack if anything touched it while it's on the racetrack.
So take that body and make a buck out of it and make a deal with McAllister to pull some bodies for us, call it a "Firechicken" car to get around licensing issues.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #291
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Well considering that the last real U.S. Vintage Trans Am race was in 1972, and that HPI's new Firebird body is a 1978 model, it's not easily conceivable for the '78 Firebird to travel backwards in time 6 years to race in VTA. Heck, that's why Michael J. Fox used a DeLorean DMC-12 to travel back to the future.

So I wouldn't hold my breath for the '78 Firebird body becoming a legal USVTA body.
you could always vote on it
January 21, 2017 Thunder RC Raceway
http://events.rcsignup.com/events/displayEvent.cfm?id=5313
DARKSIDE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #292
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
Actually HPI has several guys that are well aware of the rules and they know that this shell will not be allowed. I am sure the shell was produced for nostalgic car fans that will reminisce about the TA they knew as a kid. I wonder if we can find some body to Johnny Socko the front end of this thing into a legal 70-71 TA.

And can get a buddy to chase you with a police car with the roof ripped off and Sherrif and son in law in tow.
I'm sure HPI is also aware that this shell will fit fine in USGT/RCGT. So, between USGT/RCGT, nostalgia, and bashers (perhaps the single biggest market), the market is good enough to justify making the body. Now HPI, where is my 1970 Camaro for my Chapparal VTA car?
Old 04-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #293
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
you could always vote on it
Or I could just cut off the nose of my Nikko '72 Firebird and glue it onto the front of the HPI '78 Firebird body. But then I would have too much steering in my VTA.
__________________________________________________ ___________________

2012 Summer Carpet Shootout Series brought to you by Mikes Hobby Shop

Last edited by wwddww34; 04-05-2012 at 02:46 PM.
wwddww34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:28 PM   #294
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejota View Post
Help me wrap my brain around something...

All things being equal--
A 25.5 motor set to the stock timing mark will have:
More punch off the corner, less top end

-whereas a-

25.5 motor set to a higher timing mark (45 degrees for example) will have:
less punch off the corner and more top end.

Why I'm asking-- I've only ever used the 25.5 SS motor on a tight technical track. Now I have both a SS and a Balistic so i'm trying to figure out what the optimum gearing/timing settings are on a larger, flowing track. I feel that i'm pretty close on my chassis setup and driving skills but i've never had to think about motor timing.
Peej....maybe this will help.
About brushless motor timing.....
In case you're interested, I always ran my ballistic 1 notch back from factory setting. Other stuff I've read also mentions that greatly advanced timing becomes a deficit at some point unless you're able to keep the car operating in a particular rpm range such as Oval racing. Torque is always present but it gets greatly reduced at higher timing to the point where acceleration is too greatly affected. So..higher top end may help if you had a big, open track but on a tighter design you'd lose time at every curve requiring you to get off the throttle. Maybe "Everything in moderation" applies ??
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #295
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Thanks dude, that was the post i was looking for... searching "timing" on the forums returns EVERY thread with the word timing in it.... ugh.
pejota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #296
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064

Quote:
Well considering that the last real U.S. Vintage Trans Am race was in 1972, and that HPI's new Firebird body is a 1978 model, it's not easily conceivable for the '78 Firebird to travel backwards in time 6 years to race in VTA. Heck, that's why Michael J. Fox used a DeLorean DMC-12 to travel back to the future.

So I wouldn't hold my breath for the '78 Firebird body becoming a legal USVTA body.
Put a 1970 nose on it....
Old 04-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #297
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064

For those of you who just love cars, how about Aussie VTA Mad Max style? I know it's just one of my dream cars, but this would have been an awesome 1:1 Trans Am racer in the US in it's day. This is 1973/74 XB Falcon GT with a Boss 302 Toploader 4 speed.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #298
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
I have heard random reports of racers getting more punch out of lower capacity and lower c rating batteries when used in VTA. Has anyone experienced this? I wonder what might cause this phenomenon. It seems to go against conventional wisdom.
There is a school of thought that says these type of batteries will heat up faster internally, and produce more power, similar to guys who put their batteries in external warmers for a similar effect. The high C number batteries are not taxed as much, and therefore don't heat up.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:20 PM   #299
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Ok I did run the X drive GTB2 today back to back with an already approved esc. My first 2 batteries were with the control esc to establish a baseline for lap time. Both packs, the fast lap was 9.8 seconds, with many 10.0 and 9.9 laps. Once I had the X drive soldered in and programmed with settings I used with my original GTB2, I was able to do 9.9 for a hot lap multiple times and a bunch of 10.0 laps as well. There was no change to the car except the ESC. The biggest difference seemed to be in the feel of the trigger. It was very smooth, and felt like more "resolution". I thought that was great, but the lap times did not seem to be much different at all. As far as i can tell, there is no difference in speed with this controller. It will be added to the approved list.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #300
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Ok I did run the X drive GTB2 today back to back with an already approved esc. My first 2 batteries were with the control esc to establish a baseline for lap time. Both packs, the fast lap was 9.8 seconds, with many 10.0 and 9.9 laps. Once I had the X drive soldered in and programmed with settings I used with my original GTB2, I was able to do 9.9 for a hot lap multiple times and a bunch of 10.0 laps as well. There was no change to the car except the ESC. The biggest difference seemed to be in the feel of the trigger. It was very smooth, and felt like more "resolution". I thought that was great, but the lap times did not seem to be much different at all. As far as i can tell, there is no difference in speed with this controller. It will be added to the approved list.
How strong were the brakes?

R.I.P. - Kyosho Big Brute....T-Maxx .15....SC10 4x4
BigBrute_347 is offline   Reply With Quote