Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 05:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default TC4 Setups sugesstions

I am also starting up in VTA with a TC4 and was wondering what would be a good setup I am looking for a place to start I am overwelmed with the the differant shock angles, toe setings. droop, caster Camber ESC set up. I went out last weekend and ran and it was very discouraging how much faster everybody else was.

Any suggestions would help Thanks Chris
Old 12-01-2012, 05:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nwv327
imo old school bodies should be run with old school chassis
+1
I think, if they could start the rules over again, that chassis couldn't be newer than 5 or 10 years old. There are still a lot of guys buying and running $400 chassis in this class. It's just not necessary. But perception is reality.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by DontChangeUSVTA
My personal favorite Lipo battery is the Trinity Titanium VTA-edition 5000mah 7.4V 50C. You can get them for $63 at this web page.
Is this the only Lipo battery that has 'VTA' on its label?
Old 12-01-2012, 05:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
+1
I think, if they could start the rules over again, that chassis couldn't be newer than 5 or 10 years old. There are still a lot of guys buying and running $400 chassis in this class. It's just not necessary. But perception is reality.
The original rules were something like that. Chassis had to be at least one generation old. ex: TC5 would be the newest chassis allowed from Associated.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:15 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

+1
Originally Posted by trytowin
The original rules were something like that. Chassis had to be at least one generation old. ex: TC5 would be the newest chassis allowed from Associated.

guys thats BS you should be allowed to use any chassie you want.......
that is what the 1550 weight is for so that $600 car has no advantage
over any others

and like i said I got my A$$ beat by a tc3 and a tc4 at the nats
and i was driving a tc6.1

this argument goes back a long way
if you cant get parts for an older car then why do it
why should you have to order older parts when your LHS
has them on the wall for the newer car
you can make finer chassie adjustments on newer cars
this list can go on forever an it has lol

just my 2 cents
Old 12-01-2012, 07:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rcpaintinpete
guys thats BS you should be allowed to use any chassie you want.......
that is what the 1550 weight is for so that $600 car has no advantage
over any others

and like i said I got my A$$ beat by a tc3 and a tc4 at the nats
and i was driving a tc6.1

this argument goes back a long way
this list can go on forever an it has lol

just my 2 cents
Wasn't trying to start an argument, just stating a fact.
IMO, the reason it was changed was because of a lack of parts for the older chassis.
I too get my a*s handed to me by plenty of TC3s, and I have a TC6 !!
Old 12-01-2012, 07:53 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bigcracing
I am also starting up in VTA with a TC4 and was wondering what would be a good setup I am looking for a place to start I am overwelmed with the the differant shock angles, toe setings. droop, caster Camber ESC set up. I went out last weekend and ran and it was very discouraging how much faster everybody else was.

Any suggestions would help Thanks Chris
I've bought two used TC4s recently. Both had been raced by competent racers in the past. I got two because one had a spool and one had a front ball diff. For $80 each, I thought they were a great deal.

Both had different setups and both were equally fast last night. So I'm at a loss as to what would do to radically change them. In fact, I'm afraid to change them at all lest I go backwards.

I'd find a manual and start with the baseline setup. Then find out what other TC4 drivers are doing at YOUR track. Also, have you read the entire TC4 thread?
Old 12-01-2012, 08:31 AM
Tech Elite

just my 2 cents
See, I'd only put in my 1 cent... You spent double what I did! Just kidding Pete. You do have a good point about parts. TC4 stuff is easier to get these days with the re-release of that chassis. My TC3 requires me to keep a few parts on hand. Maybe the solution is just continued advice from other VTA racers to new guys that they don't need a high-dollar chassis for the class. I've got three TC3's and picked each of them up for $60 to $75. That's what new racers need to know is that not only is the class fun, but its inexpensive too without giving up performance. I just remember when I came to my first VTA race and saw new XRays and Serpents with tire warmers and Hudy Set-up stations, I figured there was no way I could ever afford to be competitive.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:39 AM
Tech Elite

Ah HA! There you go = Advantage?

Plus we all know having a newer car helps you pick up babes better than an old car!
Old 12-01-2012, 08:59 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Ah HA! There you go = Advantage?

Plus we all know having a newer car helps you pick up babes better than an old car!
Lmao
Scott you made my day
Wasn't picking a fight about chassies just revisiting the same old discussion
About it lol
Old 12-01-2012, 09:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

thats why I picked up a TC4 again...less crap to adjust and easier to maintain...and its faster than most other cars...iMO
Old 12-01-2012, 10:18 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nwv327
i think i might go with the eam because for the price thats quite a battery and like i said i need something with a decent c rating for my other builds (although i dont need 70c) but it is nice to not have that limitation and i dont understand the price jump from $65 for the 5000mah to $104 for the 6500mah with the same c rating? still dont know if that c rating is for burst or continuous... im guessing continuous but id hate to be wrong. anybody have weight specs? also not to call eam out here or anything but how can he charge that low of a price when others like venom and reedy are charging almost double for the same thing with less quality?
The weight has already been posted. Thanks Battman for that. They are rated at 70C Continuous from the factory. The MAH of a cell is usually what determines its cost. The higher MAH packs are harder to make and have more material in them than a lower mah rating.

As Alloy pointed out I do this as a side business/hobby. I have a full time job at a large GM Dealer and dont have overhead to pay, employees, team guys, etc. Its just me and my wife that does the shipping for me. So it allows me to pass on the savings on items.

Thanks
EA
Old 12-01-2012, 11:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default remember this

U.S. Vintage Trans Am Nationals: April 12th, 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey all of you Trans Am racers, be sure to set aside Saturday, April 12th, 2008 for the Inaugural U.S. Vintage Trans Am Nationals to be held at The Track at Harbor Hobbies in Winthrop Harbor, Illinois.

This event details are still being finalized, but we will be presenting a Trans Am ONLY event based on 6 rounds of heads-up heat racing (best 4 rounds count), and also will include a Concours event, Longest Haul Award, 20-car 50-lap shootout and other fun happenings during that day.

Save the date now, get a hall pass, get off of work and do whatever you need to do to make it out on the 12th of April. It's going to be a don't miss event for years to come.

Race rules will be official U.S. Vintage Trans Am rules found on the USVTA website here: http://www.usvintagetransam.com

The Track at Winthrop Harbor's website is here: http://www.harbor-hobby.net

We will be listing hotel information and any special side events, sponsors and other details as they are confirmed. Race pre-entry forms will be posted here and on the site when they are completed, so stay tuned to this thread for all of the latest info as it develops.

Hope to see you in April!
Old 12-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'm runnin a Sakura ZeroS that was only $120.00 new in the box and am just as fast as the guys with the $600 Xrays. Pete can tell ya I race with him alot. Setup and practice mean a whole lot more with this class than a high end chassis does. jmo!
Old 12-01-2012, 12:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Oddly enough, the USVTA Scale Nationals will be the weekend of April 13, 2013....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.