R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-21-2012, 06:19 AM   #2791
Tech Elite
 
orcadigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 2,145
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcracing View Post
I have a question but I have a ASSC. t4 and run it in VTA it is all stock and was wonder if there are and chassis mods out there like a whole new carbon set up.
There are. BMI used to make a conversion, and I think Diggity Designs still does. I do not think either are necessary for VTA though. Look for some of Darkside's posts about his TC4, but things like TC6 shocks I think are better upgrades.
__________________
Desoto Racing * Serpent America * Boca Bearings

"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
orcadigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:24 AM   #2792
Tech Elite
 
bhambrent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: B'ham, AL.
Posts: 2,026
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Here you go man.
http://www.teamassociated.com/cars_a...s_accessories/
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-31090_lg.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-31091_lg.jpg  
__________________
Half-A$$ Racing - Cooperhobbies.com - Hot Bodies D413 - OneLug Hobbies - Awesomatix - Thunder RC Raceway - SpeedKingz Racing "G SERIES"
bhambrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:38 AM   #2793
Tech Addict
 
Marv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ORD
Posts: 695
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Dutch- View Post
Just curious.
HPI make three different sets of vintage tires.
So, how come nobody rants about tires?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP40X View Post
Because only one set is legal and everyone knows it
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Dutch- View Post
I would assume that the same applies to the ESCs, the motor, the batteries, the chassis and the bodies as well.

My point has been made.

Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcadigital View Post
I appreciate the point you are trying to make, but unfortunately it does not hold water. By your logic, we should have 1 option for everything. VTA is not about being a spec class (though it very much is one), it is a class to help revitalize onroad RC. You can dig up any old chassis, use a number of inexpensive electronics, through a realistic old school vintage body on it, and go racing. No jelly bean bodies, mod speed intimidation, or flavor of the month electronics. It is supposed to be about similar speed cars where driver skill and luck rule the day. Not saying it always is, but that is the intention.

The disagreements that happen here are because people care about the class. When people stop complaining (in any form or RC this is true), it is because VTA is dead...and that is much much worse.


I think the point that Dutch was trying to make was that the rules are just that, the rules.



Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:39 AM   #2794
Tech Master
 
JustWill75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: DOUGLASVILLE GA.
Posts: 1,755
Send a message via AIM to JustWill75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcracing View Post
I have a question but I have a ASSC. t4 and run it in VTA it is all stock and was wonder if there are and chassis mods out there like a whole new carbon set up.
Orcadigital is so correct. You don't really need any modifications except the v3 shocks, the battery hold down and 64p gears. I just bought a club racer yesterday and look to prove that.
__________________
TEAM ASSOCIATED // REEDY POWER // BLAST RC

Last edited by JustWill75; 11-21-2012 at 12:38 PM.
JustWill75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:12 AM   #2795
Tech Elite
 
orcadigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 2,145
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post

I think the point that Dutch was trying to make was that the rules are just that, the rules.
I could be wrong, but I think the point he was trying to make, is that no one questions the tires because they are regulated by the rules, so we shouldn't question any of the rules. Unfortunately, the first part is inaccurate, as people have questioned the tires. Only a handful of pages ago, look at the back and forth over scuffing tires and pre treating with various methods.

The rules are the rules. But keep in mind they have evolved over time, and got the way they were because people questioned them. It is not to be difficult, it is because people care about the success of VTA, and there are different opinions as to how to best accomplish that. As I said before, when people stop questioning the rules, it is because the class is dead and no one cares what the rules are...and that is much worse then these forum debates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustWill75 View Post
Orcadigital is so correct. You don't really need any modifications except the v3 shocks, the battery and 64p gears. I just bought a club racer yesterday and look to prove that.
Sway bars also? I am not sure if they come stock on a TC4 kit. I am excited to see how your TC4 turns out.
__________________
Desoto Racing * Serpent America * Boca Bearings

"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
orcadigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:17 AM   #2796
Tech Elite
 
orcadigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 2,145
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

I'd also like to add, at the GORC a few weeks ago, my car was 100% USVTA legal (as it always has been). Darkside's was not (it was legal for that race's specific VTA rules). Some rules were relaxed for that race, and while I disagree with it, it is not my place to decide, and the only thing I can do is govern my own car.

Keep in mind, no amount of modifications, legal or otherwise, would have made my car competitive with Myron. The driver skill difference is just way too massive. The point is, if it works for a track or club, and gets people racing, that is what matters. If it works, then sharing it here might help other programs get started or do better, strict rules or otherwise.
__________________
Desoto Racing * Serpent America * Boca Bearings

"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
orcadigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:22 AM   #2797
Tech Master
 
rctoyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Clay, Alabama
Posts: 1,110
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

I wasn't going to chime in on the rule change discussion, but I guess I will now. I'm just getting into VTA after a couple of years of off-road racing and rock crawling, with touring car before that. I'd like to say I like that there is a set list of items to choose from in terms of electronics. I don't have to worry about "well, I shoulda spent this to have that because the guy over there did" The same goes for tires. When I raced on-road several years ago, my favorite class was Tamiya Spec - take the car out of the box and just drive it. It wasn't a situation where you could "buy speed" and with those cars (Tamiya TT-01) there wasn't even enough chassis adjustability that you were always tweeking this or that looking for the perfect setup. It allowed us to have really close races where driving, and I guess luck, played a bigger role in the outcome. Also because I wasn't always adjusting on the car, it gave me more time between races to hang out and bench race with the guys, which to me at least, is as much or more fun that the actual time on track. If I wanted to spend hours fine tuning chassis setups and looking for the fastest motor/esc/battery combo I couldn't afford, I'd run mod touring car. But for me, that's not what I'm looking for. I plan to field a car for myself and my 8 year old son, and VTA looks like the perfect thing for that as it sits. I won't even get into the fact that the vintage bodies just look freaking cool!
rctoyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:48 AM   #2798
Tech Elite
 
orcadigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 2,145
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctoyguy View Post
I wasn't going to chime in on the rule change discussion, but I guess I will now. I'm just getting into VTA after a couple of years of off-road racing and rock crawling, with touring car before that. I'd like to say I like that there is a set list of items to choose from in terms of electronics. I don't have to worry about "well, I shoulda spent this to have that because the guy over there did" The same goes for tires. When I raced on-road several years ago, my favorite class was Tamiya Spec - take the car out of the box and just drive it. It wasn't a situation where you could "buy speed" and with those cars (Tamiya TT-01) there wasn't even enough chassis adjustability that you were always tweeking this or that looking for the perfect setup. It allowed us to have really close races where driving, and I guess luck, played a bigger role in the outcome. Also because I wasn't always adjusting on the car, it gave me more time between races to hang out and bench race with the guys, which to me at least, is as much or more fun that the actual time on track. If I wanted to spend hours fine tuning chassis setups and looking for the fastest motor/esc/battery combo I couldn't afford, I'd run mod touring car. But for me, that's not what I'm looking for. I plan to field a car for myself and my 8 year old son, and VTA looks like the perfect thing for that as it sits. I won't even get into the fact that the vintage bodies just look freaking cool!
Hehe between the 2 threads, all this has been really is 1000+ pages of rules discussions.

We used to have really close VTA racing. Then some of us went to some larger races (50-100 person events, nothing big) and those of us who thought we were fast, got wrecked. Not only were we not on pace, we were not on pace by several laps. That is when the slippery slopes started, motor dynoing, which ESC is actually the best, dorky ceramic bearings, etc etc. We ended up with a new league of fast guys that were now 1-2 laps ahead of the regular guys, who were now 1-2 laps ahead of the weekend warrior, only runs VTA class guys. Drivers skill most definitely plays a role on it, and it is by far the largest factor. That does not mean that the equipment does not matter, and each little sliver advantage is a 10th here and there, and now those that go that route, are a lap or 2 ahead after 8 min.

Oddly enough, my experience with mod TC is the opposite. Since everything is pretty much open, there are no motor/esc/battery wars. The cars all go faster then most people can drive them, and drivers skill and consistency really become key factors, as you are no longer waiting on the car, the car is waiting on you. It is things like 17.5 blinky, where you have a spec/stock class, where the rules and limits get pushed. The guy willing to run his motor at 220* for more gear is faster, but is buying a new motor after the race.

My Novak dislike has lessened considerably after working with their customer service. I do run a Hobbywing ESC though. My end goal is to get more people into RC on road racing. If a rule change (whatever it might be, or not) gets more people into RC, then I am all for it, whether I personally agree with the change or lack of change.
__________________
Desoto Racing * Serpent America * Boca Bearings

"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
orcadigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:52 AM   #2799
Tech Elite
 
orcadigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 2,145
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Also, forgive my not being familiar with Alabama, but if you are near to One Lug, they have a great on road program and some very quick VTA drivers that are always willing to help. They also have a growing Jr VTA program as well that would be great for your son.

Check out the Alabama forum and look for James for more information (goes by spider on RCTech).
__________________
Desoto Racing * Serpent America * Boca Bearings

"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
orcadigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #2800
Tech Adept
 
DontChangeUSVTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Las Colinas, TX
Posts: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcadigital View Post
... VTA is not about being a spec class (though it very much is one), it is a class to help revitalize onroad RC.
VTA is doing a magnificent job at bringing back onroad RC at racetracks all around the world. Just ask the VTA racers in Melbourne, Australia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcadigital View Post
... [VTA] is supposed to be about similar speed cars where driver skill and luck rule the day. Not saying it always is, but that is the intention.
This is very true. When you watch the top 3 drivers following each other for 5 or 6 laps (with only inches between their cars) you know that they are going full throttle and the only way one car can pass another is if the lead car taps a board or gets tangled up in slower traffic. That is what VTA racing is all about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcadigital View Post
... The disagreements that happen here are because people care about the class. When people stop complaining (in any form or RC this is true), it is because VTA is dead...and that is much much worse.
Absolutely right. The USVTA thread is one of the most active threads in RCtech. More and more people are tuning in to read about VTA. The originators of USVTA Rule Set continue reading this thread to see what people are concerned about. Keep the discussions going. They make for a very lively thread (and also great entertainment for those of us with boring jobs).
__________________
There is no need to change USVTA Rules. They are working great!
USVTA is why I started into this R/C hobby. I love it!
Spec-R R1 - HPI #17519 1966 Mustang GT - Novak Ballistic - HobbyWing Justock ESC
HPI Racing Vintage 8-Spoke Wheels and Tires - Team EAM 5000mah 70C Lipo Battery
DontChangeUSVTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #2801
Tech Master
 
IndyHobbies.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brownsburg, Indiana
Posts: 1,866
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctoyguy View Post
When I raced on-road several years ago, my favorite class was Tamiya Spec - take the car out of the box and just drive it. It wasn't a situation where you could "buy speed" and with those cars (Tamiya TT-01) there wasn't even enough chassis adjustability that you were always tweeking this or that looking for the perfect setup. It allowed us to have really close races where driving, and I guess luck, played a bigger role in the outcome. Also because I wasn't always adjusting on the car, it gave me more time between races to hang out and bench race with the guys, which to me at least, is as much or more fun that the actual time on track.
Tamiya TT-01 is still the top class at our track (www.IndyRCRaceway.com) in terms of total number of entries. VTA is close. Reason being exactly what you've said. All parts have to be Tamiya, and silver can motors are cheap. The fast guys are better drivers and take good care of their stock equipment.
__________________
Airbrushing Projects: www.indyhobbies.com/Airbrushing.html
"If you’re in control, you’re not going fast enough." – Parnelli Jones
USVTA #144
IndyHobbies.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #2802
Tech Fanatic
 
mingnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sutherland Shire
Posts: 962
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontChangeUSVTA View Post
VTA is doing a magnificent job at bringing back onroad RC at racetracks all around the world. Just ask the VTA racers in Melbourne, Australia.
DontchangeUSVTA - Sydney Australia ( a much nicer place )

Have to say VTA is getting bigger and bigger down here. Most Tuesday Race Nights there are more VTA's than mod.

Rules are a little bit more flexible down here, we use 21.5 blinky (as getting 25.5 motors is almost impossible), and we allow Australian Muscle Cars.

"Just smile and race boys, smile and race"
__________________
---------------------------SMA The Home of GREAT Racing------------------------------
mingnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #2803
Tech Elite
 
wwddww34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 2,555
Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontChangeUSVTA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcadigital View Post
... VTA is not about being a spec class (though it very much is one), it is a class to help revitalize onroad RC.
VTA is doing a magnificent job at bringing back onroad RC at racetracks all around the world. Just ask the VTA racers in Melbourne, Australia.
+100
VTA has revived onroad racing in Texas. The VTA Racing Class has broken all expectations and previous lifespans of previous Onroad Classes ... and it's growing with more racers entering VTA every week!

I can't explain why the current U.S. VTA Rule Set is working so well and making the class grow as much as it has, but all I have to say is "keep it up".
wwddww34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #2804
Tech Master
 
2wdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontChangeUSVTA View Post
VTA is doing a magnificent job at bringing back onroad RC at racetracks all around the world. .
Cool that some clubs in australia are running ta bodies but dont make it bigger then it is. All aroundthe world? It is basicly a us class.
__________________
www.rc-lemans.de
2wdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #2805
Tech Adept
 
DontChangeUSVTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Las Colinas, TX
Posts: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wdrive View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontChangeUSVTA View Post
VTA is doing a magnificent job at bringing back onroad RC at racetracks all around the world. .
Cool that some clubs in australia are running ta bodies but dont make it bigger then it is. All aroundthe world? It is basicly a us class.
How about the growing "Classic" Class in Germany? They may not call it VTA, but they are running the same bodies that we run in U.S. VTA.


You can read more about the "Classic" class on this web page --> http://www.hpieurope.com/news.php?la...sue=2007102601
__________________
There is no need to change USVTA Rules. They are working great!
USVTA is why I started into this R/C hobby. I love it!
Spec-R R1 - HPI #17519 1966 Mustang GT - Novak Ballistic - HobbyWing Justock ESC
HPI Racing Vintage 8-Spoke Wheels and Tires - Team EAM 5000mah 70C Lipo Battery
DontChangeUSVTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] speedsterblade Electric On-Road 5821 11-21-2016 11:39 AM
TeamNovak (U.S Vintage Trans-Am) NovakTwo Electric On-Road 329 12-07-2013 08:48 PM
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing squarehead Electric On-Road 14187 03-21-2012 02:43 PM
U.S. Vintage Trans Am Nationals: April 12th, 2008 squarehead Wisconsin & Illinois Racing 308 05-14-2008 08:56 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:41 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0