R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #2611
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcadigital View Post
I personally don't care about tire prep and to each their own. At big races you could do what they do in other spec tire classes. Check tires, and only NIP or bought from the race provider. Would make it much harder to do all the tire prep if they don't have the tires open and mounted in advance.

I don't have a pony in this race, but if the intention is not to enforce the rule (whether due to logistics or otherwise), shouldn't it just be removed from the rules?
if HPI made the VTA tires and rims pre-mounted to the general public, then yes a NIP rule would work...but to have to mount up a set of tires the day of sucks....Joe mounted up my tires at the GORC...and that was cool...but if it was me...I wouldnt have had the time to do it...see Grant I see you...and she is hot isnt she...lol

Its simple...at most big races they require full tread across the tire...at club races most dont care....same with your mounting methods...we cant watch you at home while you work on your stuff, nor does anybody want to...this isnt about a rule...its common sense
January 21, 2017 Thunder RC Raceway
http://events.rcsignup.com/events/displayEvent.cfm?id=5313
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #2612
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwddww34 View Post
For some inspiration on VTA paint jobs, take a look at these 2 pics.

Lots of great nostalgic VTA paint jobs!
Man! Those VTA's look great! Do you get that many VTA's turn out at your local track?
Spec-R R1 - HPI #17519 1966 Mustang GT - Novak Ballistic - HobbyWing Justock ESC
HPI Racing Vintage 8-Spoke Wheels and Tires - Team EAM 5000mah 70C Lipo Battery
DontChangeUSVTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #2613
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontChangeUSVTA View Post
Man! Those VTA's look great! Do you get that many VTA's turn out at your local track?
That was the Southern Nats in Nashville in Sept
Brooksphotodesign.net
Flying Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #2614
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe View Post

.....but I run with a bunch of great racers who don't necessarily care who wins as long as we're all laughing when the last of our wreckage crosses the timing loop.

Keep the fun atmosphere alive and rules don't matter, cheaters don't bother to cheat, and newcomers fall in love with the hobby right quick.
Sounds like you race with us on a normal basis! I've been running VTA pretty much weekly for over a year now and its been great. We consistently have 6+ racers and now that winter is here that has been growing.

It's a wonderful class for just about anyone (newb, rookie, intermed, pro) because it provides close racing and cheap to get into. Durability has been great on all sides and everyone is very relaxed (25.5 and blinky, run your tires until they pop).
mkiiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #2615
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiiina View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe View Post

....but I run with a bunch of great racers who don't necessarily care who wins as long as we're all laughing when the last of our wreckage crosses the timing loop.

Keep the fun atmosphere alive and rules don't matter, cheaters don't bother to cheat, and newcomers fall in love with the hobby right quick.
Sounds like you race with us on a normal basis! I've been running VTA pretty much weekly for over a year now and its been great. We consistently have 6+ racers and now that winter is here that has been growing.

It's a wonderful class for just about anyone (newb, rookie, intermed, pro) because it provides close racing and cheap to get into. Durability has been great on all sides and everyone is very relaxed (25.5 and blinky, run your tires until they pop).
+1000
That's the secret ingredient to USVTA Racing -- "Keep it fun and the newcomers will jump in"
wwddww34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:10 AM   #2616
Tech Elite

1 thing people need to keep in mind when it comes to stretching the rules out for your particular track, your stuck racing there, not able to go to the big races without having to re-buy what is legal, ie motors and esc's. For those that say they dont care about those races, your really missing out on some really good times, and meeting some awesome people you wouldnt normally get to meet.
Brooksphotodesign.net
Old 11-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #2617
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Monkey View Post
1 thing people need to keep in mind when it comes to stretching the rules out for your particular track, your stuck racing there, not able to go to the big races without having to re-buy what is legal, ie motors and esc's. For those that say they dont care about those races, your really missing out on some really good times, and meeting some awesome people you wouldnt normally get to meet.
we run just any 25.5 motor at my track and i chose to run the tekin, someday i wouldnt mind goin to a bigger race out of town but probably wont just because i refuse to run a novak product. ive seen more vehicles that were novak powered catch on fire than anything else. i put to much time and money in my vehicles to have it go up in smoke
XB4 2016
savageboy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #2618
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by savageboy69 View Post
we run just any 25.5 motor at my track and i chose to run the tekin, someday i wouldnt mind goin to a bigger race out of town but probably wont just because i refuse to run a novak product. ive seen more vehicles that were novak powered catch on fire than anything else. i put to much time and money in my vehicles to have it go up in smoke

Right, so your stuck racing the same track with the same people week in week out. No chance to branch out some, see where you rank against others....nothing. I just dont see the point of it, but maybe its for some people to stay in 1 place.
Brooksphotodesign.net
Old 11-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #2619
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwddww34 View Post
For some inspiration on VTA paint jobs, take a look at these 2 pics.

Lots of great nostalgic VTA paint jobs!
Second row, fluorescent green, black, and white camaro is mine. Bright colors can still fit into the VTA theme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
if HPI made the VTA tires and rims pre-mounted to the general public, then yes a NIP rule would work...but to have to mount up a set of tires the day of sucks....Joe mounted up my tires at the GORC...and that was cool...but if it was me...I wouldnt have had the time to do it...see Grant I see you...and she is hot isnt she...lol

Its simple...at most big races they require full tread across the tire...at club races most dont care....same with your mounting methods...we cant watch you at home while you work on your stuff, nor does anybody want to...this isnt about a rule...its common sense
True, get on that with HPI. I'd buy them premounted in a heartbeat! My glue jobs suck.

And yeah yeah, you win. You'll have to come teach me to race so I can have a chance at beating you at something!
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-dsc_1226.jpg  

"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
orcadigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:01 AM   #2620
Tech Elite

Quote:
Right, so your stuck racing the same track with the same people week in week out. No chance to branch out some, see where you rank against others....nothing. I just dont see the point of it, but maybe its for some people to stay in 1 place.
lol i dont really care where i rank against others in onroad, im racing onroad to stay sharp for offroad. and like i said if it wasnt in the rules to only run novak maybe i would branch out, i dont expect the rules to change to cater me at all, what i run is my own personal preference and i wont run novak, its that simple
XB4 2016
Old 11-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #2621
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post

True, get on that with HPI. I'd buy them premounted in a heartbeat! My glue jobs suck.

And yeah yeah, you win. You'll have to come teach me to race so I can have a chance at beating you at something!
HPI does have pre-mounted VTA Wheels/Tires that are included with the '69 Camaro Sprint 2. However they glued the tires onto Chrome-finish 8-spoke rims. After a couple runs the tires will separate from the rims because the chrome finish (which the tires are glued to) simply peels off the plastic rims. Adding more CA glue does nothing to help because a layer chrome plating is stuck to the inside of the tires.

Hopefully if HPI ever does make pre-glued VTA Wheels/Tires, they will glue the tires to non-chromed rims.
wwddww34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #2622
Tech Elite

Quote:
Second row, fluorescent green, black, and white camaro is mine. Bright colors can still fit into the VTA theme.
See to me that works, its scheme is period correct and the color helps see it. Werent you running a mustang with same scheme at the GORC?

Quote:
lol i dont really care where i rank against others in onroad, im racing onroad to stay sharp for offroad. and like i said if it wasnt in the rules to only run novak maybe i would branch out, i dont expect the rules to change to cater me at all, what i run is my own personal preference and i wont run novak, its that simple
To each their own. Dont take offense to what I was saying. I know tone is hard to read. I was just pointing out to people who allow non legal stuff basically lock themselves in a closet to the rest of the RC/USVTA community. Especially while bringing in new drivers. Only thing it helps is that particular track and actually hurts the USVTA class and rc racing in general. Im not pointing a finger at you, even if it looks that way, just in general the tracks who allow the other stuff. Less people can race actual events just cause someone doesnt like a brand name. I just hope when bringing in new racers to a track that allows more then whats in the rules, they are told about how they wont be allowed to race the bigger races elsewhere. In a way killing the SPIRIT of the class.

As for cars burning up Ive seen Castle, Tekin as well as a few others burn up just as well. Only seen 1 novak burn up. They are all able to do it. Im not particular to any brand personally.

Again Im not picking at you. I dont know you from adam. Just pointing out the limitations it puts on where people can race.
Brooksphotodesign.net
Old 11-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #2623
Tech Elite

im just curious why the rule states a certain brand of motor/esc, i understand the rules stating a motor size. was the novak the only thing available at the time they were written?
XB4 2016
Old 11-12-2012, 12:21 PM   #2624
Tech Elite

Quote:
im just curious why the rule states a certain brand of motor/esc, i understand the rules stating a motor size. was the novak the only thing available at the time they were written?
The way I understand it it, when the companies were contacted about it, the only company that acknowledged VTA as a race class and not just a basher class was Novak. Then some other motors came out, there was a large difference when bench tested. Im sure someone more in the know can correct me if Im wrong, but thats how I understood it.

As for ESC's their required to not have the ability to be illegal. I know that any company that can produce that can submit it for approval to make the list. Its the companies hindering that by not looking at VTA as a real race class. Even though its the fastest growing on road class going.

Its the companies that let you racers down....not the USVTA
Brooksphotodesign.net
Old 11-12-2012, 12:37 PM   #2625
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
See to me that works, its scheme is period correct and the color helps see it. Werent you running a mustang with same scheme at the GORC?
Yep. The Mustang is the older of the 2. The Camaro is sitting on my shelf behind me at work with the small bits of hardware I managed to sneak off with from Thunder and One Lug.

"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
orcadigital is offline   Reply With Quote