R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #2581
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullFrog View Post
... Take a few minutes and look on the internet for some paint schemes from the 60's-70's. They were quite plain and that what is preferred - that's all. and I run a Cuda #42 Dan Gurney replica and just bought a Dodge Challenger and order a Mustang.No Government Motors for me!
Just browse through the picture on this web page --> http://www.trans-amseries.com/
Tons of great paint ideas.
wwddww34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #2582
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

While I prefer Period Correct paint schemes, the rules state "It is highly preferred that bodies are detailed in race type livery in period-correct paint schemes. Fluorescent colors, wild graphics, chromes and non-period correct paint schemes are frowned upon." so if a 13 year old kid wants to paint a hot pink Surf board with purple flames and NEON Green numbers then more power to him or her if it gets them in VTA. The important thing is to get new blood into the hobby.

Heck, even some of the period correct paint schemes are not period correct. Reference the Lennox/Arrow car photos below. The first photo is of Joe Chamberlain's number 76 69 Z/28 Camaro as it ran in 1969 and the second photo is the current paint scheme. The car first got the first version of the white paint scheme at the end of the 1970 season (WITH RATTLE CANS NO LESS ).

For a full history of this car including the different versions of the paint scheme that it had over the years see http://www.transamcars.com/content/76/76history.pdf Also check out TransAmCars.com for information for this car, the Roy Woods 71 Javelin, the Laurel Racing 1970 Camaro, and the number 86 1966 Shelby Mustang (Shelby production #4 of the first 10 1966 Shelby Mustangs produced).
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-ta69joechamberlaincamaro-vi.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-ta69joechamberlaincamaro-03.jpg  
CustomWorks Outlaw Sprint Car
Xray T3 2012 USVTA
GP40X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:00 PM   #2583
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloyslash View Post
Agreed there. I'm a period person myself, I have an " Alen Green Chevrolet " '68 Camaro with Carl's decal set that use every race, drivers figure included. That being said, unless its a VTA Nationals race, paint shouldn't matter in a weekly club race.
VTA nationals race or not. The rules are in black and white. Preferred =/= required.

There seem to be a few people in this thread though who want to interpret the rules in whatever way suits them best. That's why they post about how they soak their tires before even mounting them on the rims and how they sand on their tires to break them in. And then in the same breath want to say a paint scheme is not acceptable because it has flames.

Quote:
Grinding of tire tread is NOT permitted. Sanding of mold seam to remove seam is allowed. HPI Vintage Slicks and HPI Vintage Performance Tires are not allowed. Tire traction compounds are at the discretion of the track. No other altering, changing or softening of the tire is allowed. No "double stuffing" of foam inserts allowed—only single stock vintage tire inserts are allowed.
Quote:
MOST IMPORTANTLY: If it's not in the rules, and does not encompass the spirit of slower, controlled racing with realistic looking cars, consider it illegal.
If you want to follow the USVTA rules as posted then great. No complaints from me. But try actually following them.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:14 PM   #2584
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP40X View Post
so if a 13 year old kid wants to paint a hot pink Surf board with purple flames and NEON Green numbers then more power to him or her if it gets them in VTA. The important thing is to get new blood into the hobby.
While ultimately I prefer something scale looking too, I agree 100% with this.

My son started running VTA with me but only after he saw this paint scheme on a '68 Camaro in his Need for Speed or Gran Tourismo game (Not sure which). Prior to that, he only wanted to run off-road. So, it was a father/son effort to paint this body and he was/is very proud of it. I like flames a lot, but I recognize they belong on a hot rod more than a race car. Still, I was happy to have him racing VTA with me, and if it took that paint scheme to get him there, so be it. He was/is dead set against putting numbers on the body and "RUINING it Dad!" so we haven't done that yet for club VTA racing. If we get to a sanctioned event, sure, we will put them on there to get legal.

USVTA #144
IndyHobbies.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #2585
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

IDK guys last big race I seen 3 Allen green chevy camaros
4 Dan gurney and a hand full of some other cars that all
Had twins
I my self have been trying to come up wit my own
VTA paint jobs something different from the norm
But not blasphemy upon true VTA style yet orignal
How ever
We never turn any racers away at any race for any reason
Old 11-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #2586
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

at the club level, I honestly don't see any reason why you can't run any paint sceam you want. It can be neon pink and yellow for all i care as long as it gets more people involved in this fun class. As far as the larger races, I can understand them wanting the more athentic look of the late 60's early 70's and that is cool as well. At some point in that indeviduals life they will want to go to a larger race and at that point they will make the decicion to get a more athentic body and paint sceam. Until then if they want to run a neon pink vette body with neon yellow flames, so be it.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #2587
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin544 View Post
VTA nationals race or not. The rules are in black and white. Preferred =/= required.
Nope Preferred = Preferred, kind of like running Ceramic bearings in your 25.5 is also legal (but makes you a Dork per robK). Like it says, "frowned upon" but not illegal. (unless you meant to use the ≠ {not equal} sign in which all I have to say for myself is DOH! )
Quote:
There seem to be a few people in this thread though who want to interpret the rules in whatever way suits them best. That's why they post about how they soak their tires before even mounting them on the rims and how they sand on their tires to break them in. And then in the same breath want to say a paint scheme is not acceptable because it has flames.
As long as you are soaking your tires in the same traction compound that your track allows then you're good. RobK explained earlier in the thread that he was referring to people who do stupid stuff like sanding down brand new tires until 1/2 or 2/3rds of the tread is missing or setting your tires on fire to make them extremely sticky to gain an advantage. I use an emery board and a fixture I made to sand the mold seam off the center rib of the tread as stated in the rules and clean the tires with Motor cleaner to get the mold release off before I glue them. Then I set up a figure 8 course in a local concrete parking lot and run 1 or 2 batteries to get the rest of the hard crud off the tires and scuff them in some. All of this is perfectly legal under the current rule set.

Quote:
If you want to follow the USVTA rules as posted then great. No complaints from me. But try actually following them.
Most of us do even when the local club rules are somewhat lax.
CustomWorks Outlaw Sprint Car
Xray T3 2012 USVTA
GP40X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #2588
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What I meant about the Cuda and Challenger paints- If anyone besides myself remember they had some wild colors- Purple and black (standard color) for the 1970 TC Cuda. Also a very bright Yellow. Also the Lime Green (should have bought that car but I could not stand the color). The #77 Line green Sam Posey car with the vinyl top. That was done to add strenght to the roof. Orange and Petty blue were also used. But for a club run want you want.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:39 PM   #2589
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpaintinpete View Post
IDK guys last big race I seen 3 Allen green chevy camaros
4 Dan gurney and a hand full of some other cars that all
Had twins
I my self have been trying to come up wit my own
VTA paint jobs something different from the norm
But not blasphemy upon true VTA style yet orignal
How ever
We never turn any racers away at any race for any reason
If you are speaking of the VTA Southern Nats, I was 1 of the Allen Greens. Bad thing was Monkey and I ended up in the same heat 3 out of 4 times I believe, starting one position apart twice. That was a challenge keeping up with who was who, especially on the videos of the races.

TLR22 / Tekin RS / D4SS 6.5 / Futaba 9551 / ORCA 6000 /SCMOD,
F14 carpet Oval Chassis too!
alloyslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #2590
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Yeah the best way I could tell our cars apart was you used window netting and I didnt for the videos...on the track it got hairy a few times when we would be taking corners together. My wife got some really good pics of ours together in the races
Brooksphotodesign.net
Flying Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #2591
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

None of mine are period correct. Don't get me wrong I love the period correct paint jobs, I really do respect them and I enjoy seeing them, but sometimes I hear talk on here that makes me think that somewhere VTA racers are turning new people away because they have flames on their cars and if we are doing that then how do we expect people to fall in love with the class enough to want to do a period correct paint scheme? I mean I really hope people are getting there on their own, and not being pressured or shamed into it. I think at most clubs at least JrVTA is more liberal on the paint and driver figure and maybe even the body itself. Then again I have been to races where the JrVTA class had some of the nicest and yes, period correct paint at the event.

I am only trying to say that when that guy shows up with the crazy paint job, instead of informing him of what he did wrong, how about waiting until he ask and then let him know about Dan Gurney and Alan Green.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #2592
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

what was the reasoning for 25.5 anyways? was 21.5 too fast? we use 21.5/silver can .

btw all those paint jobs look great.....

I just got my gf involved with vta and if she had to do a period correct paint scheme she probably wouldnt be interested..luckily we just need the right body type for our vta here

also some of the figure heads dont look to period correct..... i dont remember Snoopy getting iblolved with racing lol

Last edited by rescue119; 11-11-2012 at 06:11 PM.
rescue119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:10 PM   #2593
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

I am beyond sick and tired of all these arguments and the constant crying about trying to change the rules. I agree on paint schemes being period correct for the spirit of the class. Keeping in mind period correct doesnt have to be replica....just in the lines of the paint schemes really used. I enjoy doing replicas personally, but after the VTA Nats, my next body will probably be my own scheme using the period correctness. As for turning people away from club races....hell no. For big races, I can see being more strict on it. I personally disagree with the florescent color thing simply because being I have a hard time seeing certain colors on the track I can see how some may need that. I used to be able to have any color but anymore it has to be majority white for me to find my car. But do I expect that stricen from the rules? No, I adapt and overcome. I chose to race this class....I wasnt told I had to. If I didnt like so much about it, I wouldnt run it, Id run a class more suited for my wants/needs. I sure wouldnt come on here to cry and whine about how everything needs to be changed to suit my wants/needs. Im not pointing fingers or calling names but they know who they are.....and if you get upset over that, then your definitely guilty and just need to get some tissue and get over it.
Brooksphotodesign.net
Flying Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:24 PM   #2594
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Quote:
Nope Preferred = Preferred, kind of like running Ceramic bearings in your 25.5 is also legal (but makes you a Dork per robK). Like it says, "frowned upon" but not illegal. (unless you meant to use the ≠ {not equal} sign in which all I have to say for myself is DOH! )
=/= was intended to mean ≠. I don't know how to type that symbol out though. So that was the best I could do.
Quote:
As long as you are soaking your tires in the same traction compound that your track allows then you're good. RobK explained earlier in the thread that he was referring to people who do stupid stuff like sanding down brand new tires until 1/2 or 2/3rds of the tread is missing or setting your tires on fire to make them extremely sticky to gain an advantage. I use an emery board and a fixture I made to sand the mold seam off the center rib of the tread as stated in the rules and clean the tires with Motor cleaner to get the mold release off before I glue them. Then I set up a figure 8 course in a local concrete parking lot and run 1 or 2 batteries to get the rest of the hard crud off the tires and scuff them in some. All of this is perfectly legal under the current rule set.
We will have to agree to disagree here then. Regardless of what RobK or anyone else says. The rules state you can not do it as they are typed up now. The biggest issue you will run into with any set of rules is not clearly stating what is and what is not allowed. When you leave it open to interpretation, people will come up with excuses as to why they are allowed to do it. I see this as the case here. Traction compound should be put on just before running. Not days before even mounting the tires. That is NOT in the spirit of slower, controlled racing.

Quote:
Most of us do even when the local club rules are somewhat lax.
Honestly I prefer the period correct schemes as well. I have my TC paint scheme that I have done by Darkside Designs. I do my VTA and F1 bodies. I used to do models as a kid so I enjoy taking the time to see how realistic I can make them. My current VTA body is a 1 color, 1am in the morning, wonder though. Hopefully the next one I can take my time on.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #2595
Tech Master

Quote:

+infinity. .
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote