Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 01:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
I'm not really inclined to allow the body since it is modeled after a modern rebuild. Even if Parma has less than stellar details on a body, it's not a "pro - touring" redo of a car.
OK then. Wait a minute.... Hold on......Booooooooooo! OK now Im done.
Nah I said I would be fine either way and I am. Still its a little dissapointing. Not like tuesday night, but still dissapointing.

Originally Posted by rcpaintinpete
im still gitting one to make an eleanor
Me too. Maybe not for an Elanor but I want a take on it.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:48 PM
Tech Champion

I'm not really inclined to allow the body since it is modeled after a modern rebuild. Even if Parma has less than stellar details on a body, it's not a "pro - touring" redo of a car.
well hi
Old 11-08-2012, 04:01 PM
Tech Champion

I think he means, "Holy crap! A Robk sighting!"
Old 11-08-2012, 06:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The eye is always watching....not always posting, but always watching..
Old 11-08-2012, 07:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

OKay guys, I have been reading all the back and forth about the 69 mustang and the 67 Corvette and it's time for a little history lesson (yes I actually watched this racing for real when I was a kid and even thought about running some SCCA classes in the late 70's but found drag racing more fun).

SCCA ran two classes together originally. The 2 liter and under B Sedan class (later expanded to 2.5 liters) which was mainly Porsche, Volkswagen (think Karmen Gia) Alfa, Datsun, Saab, the original Mini Cooper, European import Ford and many other 2.0 and smaller powered vehicles were eligible for this class and the over 2 liter A Sedan class which had a 5.0 liter limit and was populated by our beloved Pony Cars although any Sedan with the proper engine could run the class as exhibited by Herb Adams Grey Ghost (64 Pontiac Tempest). These classes usually ran together most of the time. At some SCCA race, the Production classes also ran with A & B Sedan classes which is why you occasionally see a 2 seat sports cars (Corvette, AC Cobra 289, 2 seat AMX, etc...) running with sedans in the old photos though they usually ran separate races on the same day at the same track. So while not normally run together there were historical accounts of them actually running together at smaller venues. Basically A Sedan was the Amateurs and Privateers that ran all over the country in local and regional races and Trans- AM was the professionals and included the Manufacturers Championships. Clear as MUD right?

Last edited by GP40X; 11-08-2012 at 07:24 PM. Reason: My Fumble Fingers (must remember "Proof read, proof read, proof read, proof read,...")
Old 11-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Tech Addict

The eye is always watching....not always posting, but always watching..
Old 11-08-2012, 09:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I really like the new 69 mustang, I am going to get one and run it. I will keep my old bodies and put them on when I go to a race were the new mustang may not be allowed.

Darkside, Thanks for putting up your VTA Setup.
Was your TC setup close to that? Need to do something for my TC to get a little more time out of it, I know not hitting boards will help.

Thanks again for helping me last Friday with my TC and it traction rolling at the GORC.

Chris.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:33 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ChrisR40
I really like the new 69 mustang, I am going to get one and run it. I will keep my old bodies and put them on when I go to a race were the new mustang may not be allowed.
Chris.
You know this is the way to go. All we have to do is make sure we have a fully legal setup available. 69 RTR-x not allowed? No problem. I have a legal shell right here. Rob is not here to be oppresive or to dictate what happens at every club race across the country. Think of him more like a lighthouse keeper. The rules are there for compatability so that regional and national races are possible, and everyone stays on the same page.

I will bet however that if you do that shell in VTA trim and livery that it will hardly be noticable as something that doesnt belong in the fold. I could be wrong. Still I want to see what she looks like with make up on.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
Just got back from the Georgia On-Road Champs(GORC) at Hotshots RC Raceway...they put on a really good event and had a great turn-out

USVTA was the biggest class...thanks again to all the VTA racers that came incl ROAR Pav Champ Eric G, Marqus B. and Nexus Melvin Lee...

I ran the same setup again with minor changes to camber and motor timming, here is my VTA setup

boxstock(manual setup)
front
35wt AE oil
1.5 camber
5mm ride
RSD bladders
RSD springs yellow

rear
30wt AE oil
1.5 camber
5mm ride
RSD bladders
RSD springs teal
3deg toe

FDR 3.7
Novak GTB2 no drag max min drive
Novak Ballastic 25.5 w/ 15deg time

1553 total wt
HPI 1968 Camaro on New tires front and rear with a qual and main on them( Natural wear ) SXT compound

Be on the lookout for the....

KINGS OF VTA coming to a track near you

Darkside, is this a set up for a TC6? If so, can you tell me where your roll center is? I know the car is supposed to like the higher roll centers but, I wasn't sure if that held true for a VTA set up or not. Any insight would be appreciated. Thank bud.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
When the shell comes out I will buy it. VTA or not. Make a killer USGT shell...
Ditto. It is too cool not to race! If I can't use it in an official USVTA Race, then I will just use it as my "show" body at home or club racing.

I did the same thing with my 67 Corvette body. I added the spoiler that comes with it, and will use it in USGT racing.

The round nose of the Corvette that I did run for a couple of years (red one below) in club VTA racing makes it one of the longest lasting bodies out there. Can't beat it. There's nothing there to hook a wall edge or corner. Looks nice for a long time.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GP40X
OKay guys, I have been reading all the back and forth about the 69 mustang and the 67 Corvette and it's time for a little history lesson (yes I actually watched this racing for real when I was a kid and even thought about running some SCCA classes in the late 70's but found drag racing more fun).

SCCA ran two classes together originally. The 2 liter and under B Sedan class (later expanded to 2.5 liters) which was mainly Porsche, Volkswagen (think Karmen Gia) Alfa, Datsun, Saab, the original Mini Cooper, European import Ford and many other 2.0 and smaller powered vehicles were eligible for this class and the over 2 liter A Sedan class which had a 5.0 liter limit and was populated by our beloved Pony Cars although any Sedan with the proper engine could run the class as exhibited by Herb Adams Grey Ghost (64 Pontiac Tempest). These classes usually ran together most of the time. At some SCCA race, the Production classes also ran with A & B Sedan classes which is why you occasionally see a 2 seat sports cars (Corvette, AC Cobra 289, 2 seat AMX, etc...) running with sedans in the old photos though they usually ran separate races on the same day at the same track. So while not normally run together there were historical accounts of them actually running together at smaller venues. Basically A Sedan was the Amateurs and Privateers that ran all over the country in local and regional races and Trans- AM was the professionals and included the Manufacturers Championships. Clear as MUD right?
Yep. My dad ran B-Production for the AMX factory team against the Corvettes. He does not think much of the Javelin in comparison to the AMX interestingly enough. His old race car is in a barn somewhere in Wisconsin still.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:24 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bertottius
Darkside, is this a set up for a TC6? If so, can you tell me where your roll center is? I know the car is supposed to like the higher roll centers but, I wasn't sure if that held true for a VTA set up or not. Any insight would be appreciated. Thank bud.
its a TC6...and not sure off top of my head but its how the manual says..here is the link

http://www.teamassociated.com/manuals/TC6/

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
Ditto. It is too cool not to race! If I can't use it in an official USVTA Race, then I will just use it as my "show" body at home or club racing.

I did the same thing with my 67 Corvette body. I added the spoiler that comes with it, and will use it in USGT racing.

The round nose of the Corvette that I did run for a couple of years (red one below) in club VTA racing makes it one of the longest lasting bodies out there. Can't beat it. There's nothing there to hook a wall edge or corner. Looks nice for a long time.

I remember running that body...I hated it..wouldnt handle w/o the wing..great looking...dumped it and went back to my GT-350
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-normal_dsc_0013.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-darksideracing014m.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-normal_dsc_0777.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-normal_dsc_0009.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-normal_dsc_0761.jpg  

Old 11-09-2012, 08:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

that why i like club racing..we have rules but they are always flexible ...last time someone brought a f1 car for the hell of it and we ran it in our vta lol...of course it won because those f1's are a dream to run but the class has gone the way of the dodo unfortunately

I am getting the gf a gt-350 body and I am going with a dodge challanger for myself....gonna do a mad max kinda them...easy to paint with flat black.....
Old 11-09-2012, 08:56 AM
Tech Champion

this is my wife and Baby cars...
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-wednesday-night-ta-040.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-wednesday-night-ta-041.jpg  
Old 11-09-2012, 11:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertottius
Im not as fast as Darkside is but I would usually run 1B roll center holders on my tc6 for VTA, maybe go up to 2B if the grip was really low.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.