R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-07-2012, 11:39 PM   #2506
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 619
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMODVETTE View Post
That would come out to 3.84 and most likely fine depending on how large the track is. If anything you can switch pinions to get you closer.
Yea I figure it be a good starting point. First vta car I brought the xray as a roller and that was the pinion installed. I have not advanced the timing on the motor yet.so should I try to get as close to 4.0 FDR as possible?
bigtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:14 AM   #2507
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Marietta, Ga
Posts: 2,087
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Default

I ran mine at max timing with 3.8 fdr at the GORC. It come off after the 8 min main at 140 degrees exactly. Some guys were running closer to 3.7 some probably 4.0. Anything around that should be good, but the final ratio is ultimately going to be based on your track size.
PROMODVETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:19 AM   #2508
Tech Elite
 
orcadigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 2,145
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtee View Post
Yea I figure it be a good starting point. First vta car I brought the xray as a roller and that was the pinion installed. I have not advanced the timing on the motor yet.so should I try to get as close to 4.0 FDR as possible?
4.0 is a safe starting point. Check temps at 1 min (should be less then 110) and then every 2 min after (should not get higher then 160). If it does, you need to determine why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMODVETTE View Post
I ran mine at max timing with 3.8 fdr at the GORC. It come off after the 8 min main at 140 degrees exactly. Some guys were running closer to 3.7 some probably 4.0. Anything around that should be good, but the final ratio is ultimately going to be based on your track size.
Track depends, but most of us were running 3.6 to 3.8 at the GORC. I was at 3.73 and should have gone lower but was more concerned with my TC really. Nashville I was running a 3.5, One Lug I ran a 3.8. At GORC I came off at 125 consistently, but I am also running a motor fan.

Motor timing, as well as the quirks of each motor will have different gearing/timing requirements to be optimal.
__________________
Desoto Racing * Serpent America * Boca Bearings

"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
orcadigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:57 AM   #2509
Tech Adept
 
DontChangeUSVTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Las Colinas, TX
Posts: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
The drift 1969 Mustang body should be left as a choice for each group; not put on the official list of approved bodies. It's in no way a vintage reproduction Trans Am body. Although this may be the only "resto-mod" body we'll see, it's still not within the spirit of the class.
+1 to the above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
If we're going to start stretching, then the DeTomaso Pantera should be on the list since it actually did race in Trans Am.
-1 to the last sentence. Italian sports cars should not be added to USVTA.
__________________
There is no need to change USVTA Rules. They are working great!
USVTA is why I started into this R/C hobby. I love it!
Spec-R R1 - HPI #17519 1966 Mustang GT - Novak Ballistic - HobbyWing Justock ESC
HPI Racing Vintage 8-Spoke Wheels and Tires - Team EAM 5000mah 70C Lipo Battery
DontChangeUSVTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:04 AM   #2510
Tech Champion
 
snoopyrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tunnel Hill GA
Posts: 5,043
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I disagree on the same grounds that keep the Pantera and the Corvette out of the list. We are representing a range of years from the TA at its peak. Same reason the 78 Trans Am is not on the list. This Mustang is 69. Right in the middle of it. And you dont want it in because of accuracy of representation? By that logic the Parma shells should be pulled off the list because they arent even close to looking like what they are supposed to be. (Sorry Parma, No offense.)
__________________
www.battlefieldraceway.com Racing videos at http://www.youtube.com/snoopyrc
snoopyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:33 AM   #2511
Tech Adept
 
rcsuicide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
I disagree on the same grounds that keep the Pantera and the Corvette out of the list. We are representing a range of years from the TA at its peak. Same reason the 78 Trans Am is not on the list. This Mustang is 69. Right in the middle of it. And you dont want it in because of accuracy of representation? By that logic the Parma shells should be pulled off the list because they arent even close to looking like what they are supposed to be. (Sorry Parma, No offense.)
If we were to use that logic (i.e. representing a range of years from the TA at its peak) then the 1967 Corvette Stingray falls into that range of years and should be added to the list. The Golden Era of U.S. Trans Am racing was from 1966 to 1972.
rcsuicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #2512
Tech Elite
 
wwddww34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 2,555
Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsuicide View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
I disagree on the same grounds that keep the Pantera and the Corvette out of the list. We are representing a range of years from the TA at its peak. Same reason the 78 Trans Am is not on the list. This Mustang is 69. Right in the middle of it. And you dont want it in because of accuracy of representation? By that logic the Parma shells should be pulled off the list because they arent even close to looking like what they are supposed to be. (Sorry Parma, No offense.)
If we were to use that logic (i.e. representing a range of years from the TA at its peak) then the 1967 Corvette Stingray falls into that range of years and should be added to the list. The Golden Era of U.S. Trans Am racing was from 1966 to 1972.
I brought up the '67 Corvette Stingray about 2 years ago and I was told by the keepers of the USVTA Rules that if the body was not found on the roster in this web page --> http://www.trans-amseries.com/
then it was not going to be added to the USVTA list of approved bodies.
wwddww34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:43 AM   #2513
Tech Elite
 
al dente's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 5280 Raceway. Denver's finest RC facility
Posts: 4,750
Default

I really think the corvette should be allowed. It is a great looking shell that looks sweet on the track.

But hey, I don't run vintage, I don't own a tc chassis, so my opinion doesn't count for much.
__________________
Team CRC / Dumper's Speed Shop / Team Scream Racing / Black Art
RC America / FB/FX / Colorado On Road RC Club / Manutech
5280 Raceway (5280raceway.com) home of the MILE HIGH INDOOR CHAMPS April 20-23, 2017
al dente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:43 AM   #2514
Tech Adept
 
DontChangeUSVTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Las Colinas, TX
Posts: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwddww34 View Post
I brought up the '67 Corvette Stingray about 2 years ago and I was
told by the keepers of the USVTA Rules that if the body was not found
on the roster in this web page --> http://www.trans-amseries.com/
then it was not going to be added to the USVTA list of approved bodies.
+1
__________________
There is no need to change USVTA Rules. They are working great!
USVTA is why I started into this R/C hobby. I love it!
Spec-R R1 - HPI #17519 1966 Mustang GT - Novak Ballistic - HobbyWing Justock ESC
HPI Racing Vintage 8-Spoke Wheels and Tires - Team EAM 5000mah 70C Lipo Battery
DontChangeUSVTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #2515
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan
Posts: 296
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

where is my javilin body then
rescue119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #2516
Tech Addict
 
FauxMako's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue119 View Post
where is my javilin body then
AMC Javelin is listed several times ...

http://www.trans-amseries.com/Roster.html
__________________
Mike

3 3Racing Sakura Zeros: Mustang Boss VTA // Lexus LFA USGT // MazdaSpeed 6 TC
Mini M03 & M05
Life is better with a soundtrack
FauxMako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #2517
Tech Master
 
Meradin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,298
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Isn't is also right up front on the header picture?
__________________
Better than Randy, Adam said so!

Second thought...I don't trust Adams, they make up everything!

"Leave it to Steever", custom paint masks, decals, and paint.
Meradin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #2518
Tech Adept
 
DontChangeUSVTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Las Colinas, TX
Posts: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue119 View Post
where is my javilin body then
There are six Javelins on the roster ...
  • Car # .. Year .... Car ............... Owner .................... Driver .................... Hometown .............. Original Driver
  • # 3 .... 1968 .... AMC Javelin .... David Feece ............ David Feece ............ Los Gatos, CA ......... Peter Revson
  • # 6 .... 1969 .... AMC Javelin .... Craig Jackson .......... Craig Jackson .......... Paradise Valley, AZ ... Jerry Grant
  • # 6 .... 1970 .... AMC Javelin .... Bruce Canepa .......... Bruce Canepa .......... Santa Cruz, CA ........ Mark Donohue
  • # 1 .... 1972 .... AMC Javelin .... Stephen Sorenson .... Stephen Sorenson .... Morgan Hill, CA ........ George Follmer
  • # 2 .... 1972 .... AMC Javelin .... Ken Epsman ............ Ken Epsman ............. Saratoga, CA .......... Roy Woods
  • # 2 .... 1972 .... AMC Javelin .... Ken Epsman ............ Scott Rubin ............. Saratoga, CA ........... Vic Elford
__________________
There is no need to change USVTA Rules. They are working great!
USVTA is why I started into this R/C hobby. I love it!
Spec-R R1 - HPI #17519 1966 Mustang GT - Novak Ballistic - HobbyWing Justock ESC
HPI Racing Vintage 8-Spoke Wheels and Tires - Team EAM 5000mah 70C Lipo Battery
DontChangeUSVTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #2519
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Rantoul,Il
Posts: 424
Default

The 67 vette is a nice body,IIRC the vette is classed as a sports car, not a sedan. I don't think the Corvette was ever allowed to run TA. Don
DLS II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #2520
Tech Elite
 
wwddww34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 2,555
Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLS II View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwddww34 View Post
I brought up the '67 Corvette Stingray about 2 years ago and I was
told by the keepers of the USVTA Rules that if the body was not
found on the roster in this web page --> http://www.trans-amseries.com/
then it was not going to be added to the USVTA list of approved bodies.
The 67 vette is a nice body,IIRC the vette is classed as a sports car,
not a sedan. I don't think the Corvette was ever allowed to run TA. Don
I agree with Don. Out of all the pictures I have seen of U.S. Trans Am racing (http://www.historictransam.com/EventPhotos.html), not a single one has a Corvette in it.
wwddww34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] speedsterblade Electric On-Road 5821 11-21-2016 11:39 AM
TeamNovak (U.S Vintage Trans-Am) NovakTwo Electric On-Road 329 12-07-2013 08:48 PM
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing squarehead Electric On-Road 14187 03-21-2012 02:43 PM
U.S. Vintage Trans Am Nationals: April 12th, 2008 squarehead Wisconsin & Illinois Racing 308 05-14-2008 08:56 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:31 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0