Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4333Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2024, 07:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I for one found the new gravity tires slower than PF, same car same setup, PF much more drivable, Gravity very edgy, I’ll have to wait a couple months to test outdoors, I ran PF outdoors and was quite pleased last season, granted our surface has really good traction.
Ran the Gravity tires today on black carpet, same place and layout we had regionals last weekend.
Old 01-21-2024, 08:10 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

So I put some packs thru the new fixed timing GRC 25.5 pitted against the Motiv MC5 25.5 in a TC sedan chassis on Sorex 28R tires (didn't have my VTA chassis ready). Medium traction levels.

On a 80x36ft track with a flowy layout, I got a fast lap of 9.9 on the MC5, average laps around 10.1-10.2. Soldered in the GRC 25.5, played around with gearing and ended up around 2.9-3.0 FDR for what seemed to work well on the layout and size of the track. Achieved a best of 10.1 fast lap and average laps around 10.3. So roughly two tenths off from a modern 25.5 motor, probably a bigger difference on a larger track. Put in a ton of laps and with a good fan, this motor runs super cool. Should last very long for the racer. FDR will be dependent on traction level and track layout but just my opinion, it seems happy around 3.0 as a base.

Take it with a grain of salt. I consider myself of average skill level in touring car and it is just one data point. Hopefully more guys can provide feedback on lap times and FDR.
Old 01-22-2024, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

Ring o death on the new gravity tires finally. My son and I took 1 and 2 at the omaha hobbyplex round 4 onroad points race and I went out in the main with a tire that looked like this. I thought it might rip. So far, nothing but positive things to say about the new tires. Half the price, faster in all our testing, especially when you tune the setup around the tires a bit. These have been running for about 2-3 months of weekly racing. Wish they lasted a little longer but they stay FAST the entire time and don't balloon. Wish we could buy just fronts because I'm running through fronts faster than rears by far and the rears are in prime shape. Might keep some spare rears around, but I have a feeling they're going to eventually be going in the garbage unfortunately. I'd much rather have the consistency and replace tires more often with a cheaper tire. Fighting the PF balloon was really frustrating, getting to the track, doing that first "mega sauce" to wake them up and knowing that even if you barely sauce after that, you made them larger. Adjusting ride height and droop constantly. Some folks were having to replace tires because they couldn't hit ride height anymore. These you just sauce and go like any other tire. So superior.

Gravity tire after 2-3 months of weekly racing.
Old 01-22-2024, 09:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by old_dude
The advantage the J71 has is weight. Almost 40g lighter than any other body out there. Even after the shoo-goo in the nose.
McAllister bodies in the "L" option are the lightest available. Typically needing quite a bit of paint, stickers and goo to get to the 95g minimum.
Old 01-22-2024, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by old_dude
McAllister bodies in the "L" option are the lightest available. Typically needing quite a bit of paint, stickers and goo to get to the 95g minimum.
The two tracks I run at don't enforce the body weight rule, probably because it's hard to enforce. I agree with that stance. You can reinforce the bumper, but weight has to be added to the roof? How do you even tech that? Make that bumper area pure goo right to the required weight, boom, super low CG with no weight at the roof by comparison. I know the idea is to keep people from running paper thin bodies but the people doing that (I'm one of em!) will still be just as fast with a heavier body, and they don't crash the same as the folks pingponging around in the back of the field. The light weight bodies are, at worst, are MAYBE making a difference for the 3 guys up front that are fighting over .01 with each other. Anyone who can't handle the thin bodies isn't going to catch them by running one and they're just going to destroy it anyway. I feel like it's another VTA rule, like the driver, that doesn't add anything to the class other than a hurdle for a new person to try and ensure they're legal for on the off chance that somebody enforces that rule.

My $0.02, take it for what its worth.
oreo and MonkeyCmonkeyDo like this.
Old 01-22-2024, 10:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm the only one who care were all running the same motors?! Lol.
this isnt in the spirit of vta racing.
D
Old 01-22-2024, 10:09 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MonkeyCmonkeyDo
I'm the only one who care were all running the same motors?! Lol.
this isnt in the spirit of vta racing.
D
MOST IMPORTANTLY: If it's not in the rules, and does not encompass the spirit of slower, controlled racing with realistic looking cars, consider it illegal. This is called the "Spirit of VTA" Rule.
The class is based on slower, equal playing field competition with less traction, minimal aerodynamic aids and mostly older carpet racing technology. The final objective is close, fair, wheel-to-wheel racing for all.
I don't see how it isn't directly covered in the Spirit of VTA. Especially when you consider it was a spec motor until the motor company went out of business.
Old 01-22-2024, 10:11 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Razathorn
The two tracks I run at don't enforce the body weight rule, probably because it's hard to enforce. I agree with that stance. You can reinforce the bumper, but weight has to be added to the roof? How do you even tech that? Make that bumper area pure goo right to the required weight, boom, super low CG with no weight at the roof by comparison. I know the idea is to keep people from running paper thin bodies but the people doing that (I'm one of em!) will still be just as fast with a heavier body, and they don't crash the same as the folks pingponging around in the back of the field. The light weight bodies are, at worst, are MAYBE making a difference for the 3 guys up front that are fighting over .01 with each other. Anyone who can't handle the thin bodies isn't going to catch them by running one and they're just going to destroy it anyway. I feel like it's another VTA rule, like the driver, that doesn't add anything to the class other than a hurdle for a new person to try and ensure they're legal for on the off chance that somebody enforces that rule.

Just attach your driver to the roof. Boom! Now you do not have to ever worry about two of the rules.
That being said, I was really hoping Rob would have dropped that requirement by now.
Old 01-22-2024, 05:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Like I said. It is what it is.
I'm gonna try it cuz it's what I've been treading towards but if I don't like it and it's not fun. I won't do it. Simple.
d
Old 01-22-2024, 05:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

just look at tc for what happens with no weight rule. I personally are a above average driver and can tell the handling difference especially on high traction carpet.
Rick Vessell and angrymelon like this.
Old 01-22-2024, 08:05 PM
Tech Champion

Why is the body weight more important for the 'spirit of the class' than how the body looks like on the track??? Tc bodies can get down to 44g, and VTA might not ever go under 55g while looking as good as a 100+g legal VTA body...Most racers will probably buy both types of bodies anyway in order to match the competition no matter what bodies are allowed to run, automatically leveling the playing field: no need for a body minimum weight....
oreo likes this.

Last edited by bertrandsv87; 01-23-2024 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-23-2024, 09:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
Why is the body weight more important for the 'spirit of the class' than how the body looks like on the track??? Tc bodies can get down to 44g, and VTA might not ever go under 55g while looking as good as a 100+g legal VTA body...Most racers will probably buy both types of bodies anyway in order to match the competition no matter what bodies are allowed to run, automatically leveling the playing field....
I honestly don't understand what you said. Not following.
Boomer, Marcos.J and oreo like this.
Old 01-23-2024, 11:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I honestly don't understand what you said. Not following.
We aren't sure if Bert is a troll or what. The "ignore" function will help reduce the amount of his posts you will see.
Boomer, Marcos.J and oreo like this.
Old 01-27-2024, 07:41 AM
Tech Master

I've got some old equipment laying around and thought about getting back into VTA, are the old Novak Ballistic 25.5 motors good enough?
Old 01-27-2024, 07:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nrtv20
I've got some old equipment laying around and thought about getting back into VTA, are the old Novak Ballistic 25.5 motors good enough?
It will get u around the track but newer motors are faster.
busman and oreo like this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.