Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 08:57 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Thumbs up VTA @ HOBBYTOWN USA WEST MELBOURNE

Originally Posted by dave
VTA racing this Sunday April 1st at the Hobbytown in Melbourne.

Dave

Thank you Dave

FYI the HOBBYTOWN USA VTA program is growing every race guys
Yes we are new to the class but we are all making our best EFFORTS
To support the VTA racers of BREVARD / PALMBAY /MELBOURNE / and surrounding areas
We race every 1st and 3rd Sunday of the month
Hope to see some of you at the track
For those of you in Florida please come and see what we have to offer
You can get our info in the Florida racing forum
Thanks to ALL OF YOU for making this class what it is. FUN
Old 03-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Geno-Machino
YYYEEEEUUUPPPP!!!
I understand. I've got a TC5 that I've run for 2+ years. Flew to DC for the week to visit friends and sight see. My buddy talked me into sending the car out and we ran Saturday on an indoor asphalt paved track. Was a ton of fun, especially taking TQ. Had to leave prior to the mains ..........
Old 03-29-2012, 07:04 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dave
VTA racing this Sunday April 1st at the Hobbytown in Melbourne.
Thanks for the update Dave however the Outlaw Truck is ready for the Daytona Speedway race this weekend. I'll miss Saturday and 3 qual rounds but if all goes well make the final qual and mains on Sunday. I'll keep the schedule info in mind and hopefully make it over there sometime soon.

Grenade, just looking to have some on track fun. I know that being competitve in WGT and other TC classes isn't in the cards for me. Have always loved the 12th scales, that's all we had when I got started in R/C but even less of a chance to handle one of those and not become a weapon. The VTA interested me several years ago when we had them at the 'Birds and this year is was already figuring to make the jump by Wednesday. Spent a lot of time speaking with Greg Sharpe during those practice sessions.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grenade10
I understand. I've got a TC5 that I've run for 2+ years. Flew to DC for the week to visit friends and sight see. My buddy talked me into sending the car out and we ran Saturday on an indoor asphalt paved track. Was a ton of fun, especially taking TQ. Had to leave prior to the mains ..........
I was there at the C when you raced. It sure did our VTA guys good to have some fresh competition . Any time you come to the DC area, drop by and race if you can.

We still run 21.5 at the C but are pretty close to USVTA otherwise. It sure is fun to see all the Camaros, Mustangs, and Javelins running around the track. It would be nice if a couple more bodies were available though. I'm rooting for a better '70 Camaro, a Firebird, Falcon, or Barracuda but not holding my breath.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bencason
. It would be nice if a couple more bodies were available though. I'm rooting for a better '70 Camaro, a Firebird, Falcon, or Barracuda but not holding my breath.
Don't know about the gen 2 Camaro, Firebird,or Falcon - But HPI and Parma have offered Barracudas for several years now... Both bodies are on the USVTA approved body list.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:06 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by oeoeo327
Don't know about the gen 2 Camaro, Firebird,or Falcon - But HPI and Parma have offered Barracudas for several years now... Both bodies are on the USVTA approved body list.
I should have been more specific

I meant the gen 1 '66 Barracuda. I was browsing through the Trans AM historic photos and saw one. I thought it was a late '60s Valiant until I looked closer. My parents owned one for years. I was looking to see if a gen 1 Tempest or GTO was ever raced in Trans AM but didn't see one.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I was there at the C when you raced. It sure did our VTA guys good to have some fresh competition . Any time you come to the DC area, drop by and race if you can.
I had a great time, nice track freindly racers but was really glad to see a full house of racers running onroad. Charlie and I have raced together for 20+ years, so If I'm back there, we'll be by. Next time we need to make sure our dinner plans allow us to make the mains.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I should have been more specific

I meant the gen 1 '66 Barracuda. I was browsing through the Trans AM historic photos and saw one. I thought it was a late '60s Valiant until I looked closer. My parents owned one for years. I was looking to see if a gen 1 Tempest or GTO was ever raced in Trans AM but didn't see one.
As evidence of the original modified production car concept, a fan favorite in the 1971 Trans Am series was the "Grey Ghost",[3] a '64 Pontiac Tempest, prepared by Pontiac Special Projects Engineering Manager Herb Adams[4] and a group of his young proteges (Tom Nell/Jeff Young-Engines, Joe Brady/Harry Quackenboss-Chassis, Ted Lambaris-Body, Tom Goad-Logistics). The boxy six year old Tempest had once been Adams' wife's daily driver, with over 80,000 miles (130,000 km) on the odometer when it was turned into an A Sedan racer. It proved to be surprisingly fast, at a time when even a one year old car was considered out of step with the competition. It was entered in the opening round of the 1971 Trans-Am Championship. Unable to qualify, the car was allowed to start from the back of the pack. With Bob Tullius behind the wheel, it mowed through the field, and was running second behind eventual winner Mark Donohue's factory-supported Penske Racing AMC Javelin when the engine broke.[5] (From Wikapedia)
Old 03-29-2012, 10:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by alphacat
As evidence of the original modified production car concept, a fan favorite in the 1971 Trans Am series was the "Grey Ghost",[3] a '64 Pontiac Tempest, prepared by Pontiac Special Projects Engineering Manager Herb Adams[4] and a group of his young proteges (Tom Nell/Jeff Young-Engines, Joe Brady/Harry Quackenboss-Chassis, Ted Lambaris-Body, Tom Goad-Logistics). The boxy six year old Tempest had once been Adams' wife's daily driver, with over 80,000 miles (130,000 km) on the odometer when it was turned into an A Sedan racer. It proved to be surprisingly fast, at a time when even a one year old car was considered out of step with the competition. It was entered in the opening round of the 1971 Trans-Am Championship. Unable to qualify, the car was allowed to start from the back of the pack. With Bob Tullius behind the wheel, it mowed through the field, and was running second behind eventual winner Mark Donohue's factory-supported Penske Racing AMC Javelin when the engine broke.[5] (From Wikapedia)
Is this the '64 Pontiac Tempest "Grey Ghost"? Holy Cow! Look at the length of that rear end! You could fit a whole Chevy Camaro inside the trunk of the Tempest!

Last edited by wwddww34; 03-29-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:41 PM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Not exactly Trans Am but interesting nonetheless.
'63 Ford Falcons
If you went to PRI this year they were on disply in the back right of the convention hall.

Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-falconsinthehorseshoe.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-machavernfalcon.jpg  
Old 03-29-2012, 06:57 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by wwddww34
Yeah! Now you're talking! McAllister, HPI, Parma, anyone! Make this body!

I promise to buy at least 2. Surely that is enough to justify issuing the body.

Oh well, back to reality. I don't care how it would handle, I'd run it.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

A VTA heat from the grand opening race at the new asphalt track here in southern Alabama. Pretty good turnout for the first race.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Serzoni
A VTA heat from the grand opening race at the new asphalt track here in southern Alabama. Pretty good turnout for the first race.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
nice...are you guys running under US VTA rules?
Old 03-30-2012, 06:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

For the most part, yes. The guys who have been running for a long time are all USVTA legal, but there's a few 21.5's left over from guys who haven't raced since the early VTA days. Eventually everyone will be USVTA legal. The only exception will be the "Sprint 2 RTR" rule similar to Mike's in Dallas.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Serzoni
For the most part, yes. The guys who have been running for a long time are all USVTA legal, but there's a few 21.5's left over from guys who haven't raced since the early VTA days. Eventually everyone will be USVTA legal. The only exception will be the "Sprint 2 RTR" rule similar to Mike's in Dallas.
cool...I thought I saw a TC wing on the white Mustang?....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.