R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #136
Suspended
 
rcpaintinpete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: PALMBAY FLORIDA
Posts: 2,739
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Thumbs up VTA @ HOBBYTOWN USA WEST MELBOURNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
VTA racing this Sunday April 1st at the Hobbytown in Melbourne.

Dave

Thank you Dave

FYI the HOBBYTOWN USA VTA program is growing every race guys
Yes we are new to the class but we are all making our best EFFORTS
To support the VTA racers of BREVARD / PALMBAY /MELBOURNE / and surrounding areas
We race every 1st and 3rd Sunday of the month
Hope to see some of you at the track
For those of you in Florida please come and see what we have to offer
You can get our info in the Florida racing forum
Thanks to ALL OF YOU for making this class what it is. FUN
__________________
TEAM ARC USA --- TEAM POWERS USA ---- TEAM VALKARIA RC ----
rcpaintinpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:51 PM   #137
Tech Elite
 
Grenade10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Posts: 4,667
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno-Machino View Post
YYYEEEEUUUPPPP!!!
I understand. I've got a TC5 that I've run for 2+ years. Flew to DC for the week to visit friends and sight see. My buddy talked me into sending the car out and we ran Saturday on an indoor asphalt paved track. Was a ton of fun, especially taking TQ. Had to leave prior to the mains ..........
__________________
Darkside, Sweep, BSR, Fantom, IGT Hobbies and IGT8
Byrons Fuel, ProtoForm Bodies & Futaba Radio Gear by Choice
Founding Member of CORRC .... 5280raceway
www.darksidems.com www.igthobbies.com www.IGT8.com
Grenade10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:04 AM   #138
Tech Adept
 
Geno-Machino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The other "O"town
Posts: 100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
VTA racing this Sunday April 1st at the Hobbytown in Melbourne.
Thanks for the update Dave however the Outlaw Truck is ready for the Daytona Speedway race this weekend. I'll miss Saturday and 3 qual rounds but if all goes well make the final qual and mains on Sunday. I'll keep the schedule info in mind and hopefully make it over there sometime soon.

Grenade, just looking to have some on track fun. I know that being competitve in WGT and other TC classes isn't in the cards for me. Have always loved the 12th scales, that's all we had when I got started in R/C but even less of a chance to handle one of those and not become a weapon. The VTA interested me several years ago when we had them at the 'Birds and this year is was already figuring to make the jump by Wednesday. Spent a lot of time speaking with Greg Sharpe during those practice sessions.
Geno-Machino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #139
Tech Regular
 
bencason's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Almost Western Maryland
Posts: 392
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenade10 View Post
I understand. I've got a TC5 that I've run for 2+ years. Flew to DC for the week to visit friends and sight see. My buddy talked me into sending the car out and we ran Saturday on an indoor asphalt paved track. Was a ton of fun, especially taking TQ. Had to leave prior to the mains ..........
I was there at the C when you raced. It sure did our VTA guys good to have some fresh competition . Any time you come to the DC area, drop by and race if you can.

We still run 21.5 at the C but are pretty close to USVTA otherwise. It sure is fun to see all the Camaros, Mustangs, and Javelins running around the track. It would be nice if a couple more bodies were available though. I'm rooting for a better '70 Camaro, a Firebird, Falcon, or Barracuda but not holding my breath.
__________________
The RC cars are in storage but not forgotten
One of these days, I'll be back to racing... somewhere
bencason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #140
Tech Elite
 
oeoeo327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,343
Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencason View Post
. It would be nice if a couple more bodies were available though. I'm rooting for a better '70 Camaro, a Firebird, Falcon, or Barracuda but not holding my breath.
Don't know about the gen 2 Camaro, Firebird,or Falcon - But HPI and Parma have offered Barracudas for several years now... Both bodies are on the USVTA approved body list.
__________________
Founding member of the Solid Gold Racing Team - Mediocrity, redefined...
✯Jackson RC✯Horsham RC✯SJCCR✯
oeoeo327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:06 AM   #141
Tech Regular
 
bencason's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Almost Western Maryland
Posts: 392
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeoeo327 View Post
Don't know about the gen 2 Camaro, Firebird,or Falcon - But HPI and Parma have offered Barracudas for several years now... Both bodies are on the USVTA approved body list.
I should have been more specific

I meant the gen 1 '66 Barracuda. I was browsing through the Trans AM historic photos and saw one. I thought it was a late '60s Valiant until I looked closer. My parents owned one for years. I was looking to see if a gen 1 Tempest or GTO was ever raced in Trans AM but didn't see one.
__________________
The RC cars are in storage but not forgotten
One of these days, I'll be back to racing... somewhere
bencason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:54 AM   #142
Tech Elite
 
Grenade10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Posts: 4,667
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencason View Post
I was there at the C when you raced. It sure did our VTA guys good to have some fresh competition . Any time you come to the DC area, drop by and race if you can.
I had a great time, nice track freindly racers but was really glad to see a full house of racers running onroad. Charlie and I have raced together for 20+ years, so If I'm back there, we'll be by. Next time we need to make sure our dinner plans allow us to make the mains.
__________________
Darkside, Sweep, BSR, Fantom, IGT Hobbies and IGT8
Byrons Fuel, ProtoForm Bodies & Futaba Radio Gear by Choice
Founding Member of CORRC .... 5280raceway
www.darksidems.com www.igthobbies.com www.IGT8.com
Grenade10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:59 AM   #143
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 396
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencason View Post
I should have been more specific

I meant the gen 1 '66 Barracuda. I was browsing through the Trans AM historic photos and saw one. I thought it was a late '60s Valiant until I looked closer. My parents owned one for years. I was looking to see if a gen 1 Tempest or GTO was ever raced in Trans AM but didn't see one.
As evidence of the original modified production car concept, a fan favorite in the 1971 Trans Am series was the "Grey Ghost",[3] a '64 Pontiac Tempest, prepared by Pontiac Special Projects Engineering Manager Herb Adams[4] and a group of his young proteges (Tom Nell/Jeff Young-Engines, Joe Brady/Harry Quackenboss-Chassis, Ted Lambaris-Body, Tom Goad-Logistics). The boxy six year old Tempest had once been Adams' wife's daily driver, with over 80,000 miles (130,000 km) on the odometer when it was turned into an A Sedan racer. It proved to be surprisingly fast, at a time when even a one year old car was considered out of step with the competition. It was entered in the opening round of the 1971 Trans-Am Championship. Unable to qualify, the car was allowed to start from the back of the pack. With Bob Tullius behind the wheel, it mowed through the field, and was running second behind eventual winner Mark Donohue's factory-supported Penske Racing AMC Javelin when the engine broke.[5] (From Wikapedia)
alphacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:01 AM   #144
Tech Elite
 
wwddww34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 2,555
Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphacat View Post
As evidence of the original modified production car concept, a fan favorite in the 1971 Trans Am series was the "Grey Ghost",[3] a '64 Pontiac Tempest, prepared by Pontiac Special Projects Engineering Manager Herb Adams[4] and a group of his young proteges (Tom Nell/Jeff Young-Engines, Joe Brady/Harry Quackenboss-Chassis, Ted Lambaris-Body, Tom Goad-Logistics). The boxy six year old Tempest had once been Adams' wife's daily driver, with over 80,000 miles (130,000 km) on the odometer when it was turned into an A Sedan racer. It proved to be surprisingly fast, at a time when even a one year old car was considered out of step with the competition. It was entered in the opening round of the 1971 Trans-Am Championship. Unable to qualify, the car was allowed to start from the back of the pack. With Bob Tullius behind the wheel, it mowed through the field, and was running second behind eventual winner Mark Donohue's factory-supported Penske Racing AMC Javelin when the engine broke.[5] (From Wikapedia)
Is this the '64 Pontiac Tempest "Grey Ghost"? Holy Cow! Look at the length of that rear end! You could fit a whole Chevy Camaro inside the trunk of the Tempest!

Last edited by wwddww34; 03-29-2012 at 12:55 PM.
wwddww34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #145
Tech Adept
 
Geno-Machino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The other "O"town
Posts: 100
Thumbs up

Not exactly Trans Am but interesting nonetheless.
'63 Ford Falcons
If you went to PRI this year they were on disply in the back right of the convention hall.


Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-falconsinthehorseshoe.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-machavernfalcon.jpg  
Geno-Machino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #146
Tech Regular
 
bencason's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Almost Western Maryland
Posts: 392
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwddww34 View Post
Yeah! Now you're talking! McAllister, HPI, Parma, anyone! Make this body!

I promise to buy at least 2. Surely that is enough to justify issuing the body.

Oh well, back to reality. I don't care how it would handle, I'd run it.
__________________
The RC cars are in storage but not forgotten
One of these days, I'll be back to racing... somewhere
bencason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:57 AM   #147
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 794
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

A VTA heat from the grand opening race at the new asphalt track here in southern Alabama. Pretty good turnout for the first race.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Serzoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #148
Tech Champion
 
DARKSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville-Memphis
Posts: 7,641
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serzoni View Post
A VTA heat from the grand opening race at the new asphalt track here in southern Alabama. Pretty good turnout for the first race.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
nice...are you guys running under US VTA rules?
__________________
Myron "BATTMAN" Kinnard
Team Associated/Reedy Powered/PROTOform/RockStar Paint, LLC
THUNDER JAM IX Snowbirds Warm-up
January 2017
Thunder RC Raceway
DARKSIDE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:47 AM   #149
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 794
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

For the most part, yes. The guys who have been running for a long time are all USVTA legal, but there's a few 21.5's left over from guys who haven't raced since the early VTA days. Eventually everyone will be USVTA legal. The only exception will be the "Sprint 2 RTR" rule similar to Mike's in Dallas.
Serzoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:56 AM   #150
Tech Champion
 
DARKSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville-Memphis
Posts: 7,641
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serzoni View Post
For the most part, yes. The guys who have been running for a long time are all USVTA legal, but there's a few 21.5's left over from guys who haven't raced since the early VTA days. Eventually everyone will be USVTA legal. The only exception will be the "Sprint 2 RTR" rule similar to Mike's in Dallas.
cool...I thought I saw a TC wing on the white Mustang?....
__________________
Myron "BATTMAN" Kinnard
Team Associated/Reedy Powered/PROTOform/RockStar Paint, LLC
THUNDER JAM IX Snowbirds Warm-up
January 2017
Thunder RC Raceway
DARKSIDE is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] speedsterblade Electric On-Road 5821 11-21-2016 11:39 AM
TeamNovak (U.S Vintage Trans-Am) NovakTwo Electric On-Road 329 12-07-2013 08:48 PM
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing squarehead Electric On-Road 14187 03-21-2012 02:43 PM
U.S. Vintage Trans Am Nationals: April 12th, 2008 squarehead Wisconsin & Illinois Racing 308 05-14-2008 08:56 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:05 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0