Old 01-25-2005, 12:41 PM
Tech Adept

Years in the R/C car hobby: 20

Number of R/C cars owned (past and present): 20+

Should R/C car racing be brought into the mainstream media? Yes

Would the R/C car hobby benefit from media exposure? Yes

Should weekly club race results be, at least noted in the news paper? Yes

Should news stations cover “Big Races?” Yes

What are some ways you think the R/C community can create an awareness of the hobby?

1) Start with your local newspaper Sports Dept - email them the weekly race results and ask them to be published 2) Attach photos to those lists 3) once pictures are in the paper, find a local business to "sponsor" the local hotshoe by putting their logo decals on the car/truck 4) CASH PRIZES for the winners!!
Old 01-25-2005, 01:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Years in the R/C car hobby: 3 years competitive - 15 year overall

Number of R/C cars owned (past and present): 20 in the last 3 years- overall, about 30.

Should R/C car racing be brought into the mainstream media? Yes/No: Yes

Would the R/C car hobby benefit from media exposure? Yes/No
Yes

Should weekly club race results be, at least noted in the news paper? Yes/No: Yes

Should news stations cover “Big Races?” Yes/No: Yes (Local news as a community story)

What are some ways you think the R/C community can create an awareness of the hobby?

We need to find a big name company who's involved in other "mainstream" sports, i.e. No Fear, Fox Racing,etc... and do some promotions. Have 1/8 scale demos at FMX shows and Supercorss races. Get them to sponsor some of the bigger off road races and you'll get a lot of people interested in R/C in general and eventually it will get them into other forms of R/C Racing. Most of the guys I know who race 1/8 scale are also into going to the desert, motocross, etc. I think that's the quickest way to get R/C into the mainstream.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Years in the R/C car hobby: 1

Number of R/C cars owned (past and present): 5

Should R/C car racing be brought into the mainstream media? Yes. I can watch any other type of racing on TV, why not RC?

Would the R/C car hobby benefit from media exposure? Yes. More people who see, the more people may join

Should weekly club race results be, at least noted in the news paper? Yes. High school sports & local curling is in ours, why not RC?

Should news stations cover “Big Races?” Yes, depending on interest in the community. If its drawing a lot of people into the city, it may make the news anyway, or at least should.

What are some ways you think the R/C community can create an awareness of the hobby? Seeing is believeing. Advertise upcoming events in the city its being hosted, Invite friends who arent into RC to come check it out (worked on me)
Old 01-25-2005, 01:58 PM
Tech Rookie

Years in the R/C car hobby: 17

Number of R/C cars owned (past and present): 20+

Should R/C car racing be brought into the mainstream media? If possible yes, if they can televise log rolling championships surely they can televise national races.

Should weekly club race results be, at least noted in the news paper? Why not? the more exposure the better

Desperately needs more promotion at all levels.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: R/C cars and the mainstream media survey

Years in the R/C car hobby: 9

Number of R/C cars owned (past and present): 15 or so

Should R/C car racing be brought into the mainstream media? Yes/No - Yes

Would the R/C car hobby benefit from media exposure? Yes/No Yes

Should weekly club race results be, at least noted in the news paper? Yes/No No

Should news stations cover “Big Races?” Yes/No No

What are some ways you think the R/C community can create an awareness of the hobby? Awareness of the hobby is more so done by the hobby stores than the racers themself. The hobby stores are the ones who need "us" racers to stay afloat, without us they wouldnt be in business.

If you don't feel comfortable posting info on the tread, please feel free to PM me.

Thanks again!

-Chris Woods. [/B][/QUOTE]
Old 01-25-2005, 03:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Years in the R/C car hobby: 18

Number of R/C cars owned (past and present): 25'ish

Should R/C car racing be brought into the mainstream media? Yes/No Yes

Would the R/C car hobby benefit from media exposure? Yes/No Yes

Should weekly club race results be, at least noted in the news paper? Yes/No Yes

Should news stations cover “Big Races?” Yes/No Yes

What are some ways you think the R/C community can create an awareness of the hobby? It would be good if the RC community could get included in something that is bigger. There have been a few examples of exibitions of model monster trucks at a real truck event. If we could expand upon that some more I think it could help our hobby. Not just monster truck events, all kinds of events. Even at the town level. We have a town festival (for lack os better description) and the local Hobby Town has a race at it every year. At the same time there is a real car show going on and other stuff. It puts the hobby out in the open to people who would never go to a track or don't even know that they exist!
Old 01-25-2005, 04:06 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: R/C cars and the mainstream media survey

Originally posted by mafiaracers
If I may have a moment of your time....please bear with me.....

Long story short, I'm taking a class at school which is based around one project of our choosing that lasts All Year. I am doing my research and project on none-other than "R/C car racing" and how to bring it into the mainstream media. One phase of the research is the "survey" part.

I have a few (Yes/No) questions and a very short... "short" answer question that I would very much apprecieate if you all could answer. Any help is greatly apprecieated!

Thanks!

Years in the R/C car hobby:3

Number of R/C cars owned (past and present):2

Should R/C car racing be brought into the mainstream media? Yes/No yes to some degree, but not all the way because everybody would be doing it and you would lose the qualitty that rc companys have now because they would be produceing so much more

yes
Should weekly club race results be, at least noted in the news paper? Yes/No
yes
Should news stations cover “Big Races?” Yes/No
yes but the percentage of people in to rc does not overweigh people who are not so the chances of that happening are slim

just talk about, try to get people involved set up local races etc.

If you don't feel comfortable posting info on the tread, please feel free to PM me.

Thanks again!

-Chris Woods.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

again guys....this is great!....way better than I expected.....I really apprecieate it!

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2005, 06:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Years in the R/C car hobby: 3

Number of R/C cars owned (past and present): 6

Should weekly club race results be, at least noted in the news paper? No, not city wide papers, but single community papers, yes

To advertise more in the main stream of things. Hobby grade rcs are basically unknown to most, as they just think of rc as toys'r'us cars, not race cars.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Years in the R/C car hobby:7

Number of R/C cars owned (past and present):8

Should R/C car racing be brought into the mainstream media? Yes/No
Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

I have always wondered why so few people are aware of rc racing. I strongly believe that if rc racing gained more exposure through the media to make more people aware of it, rc would see a boom in participation. (kinda like poker has in the last couple years)

TJ
Old 01-25-2005, 07:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Age: 50 ( Just finishing up my first childhood, can't wait to start the second one. )

Years in the R/C car hobby: 1970 to 1972 and 2001 to now...

Number of R/C cars owned (past and present): 25

Should R/C car racing be brought into the mainstream media? Yes/No
Not a yes/no question.. It must promote for the general public to take notice and then see if the GP will "get" into it.

Yes, just as long as it's on the level.

Yes, only if there is interest... But at least try to get it into the local news for exposure.

Yes as a public interest piece.

Find a way to make this an easier hobby to get into....
Not spend $200 on car, 150 on radio, 150 on hop-ups, motors/batteries/charger...... etc.... Then have your kid lose interest and then the parents bad-mouth the hobby to other parents...

Get involved in local schools and have clubs started...
Old 01-25-2005, 07:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Years in the R/C car hobby:12

Number of R/C cars owned (past and present): In upwards of 20-30 different cars since 1991, about 8-9 present

Would the R/C car hobby benefit from media exposure? Yes.

Should weekly club race results be, at least noted in the news paper? Yes

Should news stations cover “Big Races?” Yes, it's another way of bringing up things to do with the family during the weekends

What are some ways you think the R/C community can create an awareness of the hobby? Hobby shops can place a promotion of a big race they're sponsoring in the 'Local' section of the newspaper. Keep having parking lot races in highly populated, commercial areas.