R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #16
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by evader-fan-69 View Post
ive been racing for years and still run them. kimbrough has some really good servo savers that you cant even feel when driving but will still help you when you get into that random wreck. metal gear doesnt mean all gears are metal just so you know. ive bought 120 dollar "metal gear" servos, only to find that the gear that runs from the servo motor to the gear train is plastic..just as an fyi. my vote is buy one, its cheep insurance, and if your new..its pretty much needed all the time
Futaba's, and I think KO's "metal gear" servos have that single plastic gear. The Savox 1251MG metal gear servo is all metal, and half the price. With ~2 years of running without servo savers (couldn't find one with fitment I was happy with in the Mi4LP for a long time), I've replaced the gears in the Savox 3 times, and never in my BLS551. I've still spent less on the Savox, but I've also DNF'd 3 times from the broken gears. I'm now running servo savers all the time, and haven't noticed any perf difference.

Korey Harbke told me that one plastic gear in the is actually a good thing, as it smooths out the servo's action a bit. I don't know if it has anything to do with why the Savox gears have broken and the BLS551's haven't, despite many similar crashes on both. That may have more to do with the quality/design of the metal gears themselves.

In any case... I'd vote for running a servo saver. I've run many packs and had many board taps/crashes with no saver, and no broken servo. But it really sucks when you're leading a main and have one silly little board brush or get roughed up a little by a backmarker, and that little incident is the one that pushes it over the edge and results in a DNF.

grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:48 AM   #17
Tech Fanatic

The TC6 built-in servo saver spring is really soft. I thought it would definitely be harming performance on track and causing understeer, so I tried locking it right up. I couldn't tell any difference at all, so now I always run a servo saver since there seems to be no downside.
Team Xray
RC-Timing Software - http://www.rc-timing.com
Mercedes AMG F1 - http://www.mercedes-amg-f1.com/
daleburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:57 AM   #18
Tech Adept

I love the build in servo savers in my Associated TC6 & 6.1's, i have had a few nasty crashes and find them very necessary at club racing as there is always an indecent somewhere that you get caught in, running a good quality servo saver reduces you DNF results

If you running at bigger events the driving is generally cleaner and the need for one is reduced but would still run one anyways, check them often for slop or play but my suggestion is to still run one
Xray T4 15' - Hobbywing V3.1 ESC - Reedy Modified Motors - Thunder Power Batteries - Protoform - Much More
SlideMasteR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:54 PM   #19
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
I think someone makes break-away servo horns. I think the theory is that they are strong enough to steer the car but will break before a gear strips if you hit hard.

Every time I've ran without a servo saver I've stripped gears in my metal gear servo.

As someone pointed out metal gear generally refers to most of the gears in there, not all of them.
Where? Sounds like a good idea, you'll just be out of the race though.
performula is offline   Reply With Quote