Wiki Posts
Search

Drag Racing - Run What Ya Brung

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 05:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Drag Racing - Run What Ya Brung

My buddy Alston and I were in our local hobby shop last night and when we came into the shop there were two customers being helped by the owner. These guys didn't race on-road, but were into drag racing. Near the hobby shop they told us they have a strip of area about 245 feet that they drag race.

they said they bet anywhere from $100 to your whole car for each race. these racers pretty much run anything and everything. they had brought in b44.1s, tc6.1, and late models; vehicles not designed for drag racing but were modified in a way that would suggest that they wouldn't be utter garbage off the line.

this got alston and i thinking, what vehicle and setup would be optimal for putting the smack down on this type of challenge?

if anyone has experience in drag racing, please share with us chassis, electronics, tires, and body ideas. we may or may not get into it. but i'm so curious.

I was thinking that a 12th scale with a 2s saddle pack, pinks or magenta tires sauced and lit on fire with like a 4.0t/3.5t/3.0t motor would be the ticket.

we'd love to hear your inputs!
Old 03-16-2012, 06:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The thing that concerns me about using a 1:12 scale is the cars' dimensions. Specifically its track vs. Wheelbase. I just wonder how unstable such a boxy chassis would be in a straight line at extreme speed. Purpose built rc dragsters race on 132 ft. runs and top 100MPH.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

A WGT possibly with stretched narrowed custom chassis, modify it to take an 1/8 scale motor and ESC, 6cells high c rating low mah to reduce weight. OFNA gas FOAM tires at least till you get it really fast then you will likely have to switch to BSR capped tires cause the foam will not handle the RPMs

a 1/12th is too light and tires don't have the contact patch for that kind of launch.

Not that I've ever given it any thought

I actually saw an old article were a machinist custom built a 1/4 scale fully blown V8

Last edited by miller tyme; 03-16-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:27 AM
Tech Addict

Just show up with a Grand Motorsports car and take everybodys money. they might not like that very much though.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

How about a gtpe with mmm 4-6cell? Never really looked into drag racing, but that should be more than competitive.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

Dude, a I race 1/12 and love it, but a 1/12 will NEVER launch straight as it has no wheelbase. If you want a good drag car, get a shaft-drive touring car or a nitro touring car converted to electric drive, if you do it right you can probably fit the big 550 motor in one. Only four wheel drive will come close to getting power to the ground, just load all of the weight you can manage on the front so you don't pull the wheels.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:32 PM
Tech Adept

How would a 4wd Ofna 1:8 DM-1 Spec e with a Mamba Monster 2200kv motor combo with a Thunder Power 6s 6600mAh 65c lipo do for draggin'? Thanks.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:54 PM
Tech Addict

How much power do you think your touring car can handle?

BTW, There's no reason why you can't use a belt driven vehicle for drag racing. I just sold a Grand Motorsports nitro funny car kit that I never used and it was belt driven. Besides, a belt driven vehicle won't have torque steer issues that a shaft driven car might. That's just one less thing to take into account when you're preparing to mash the throttle.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by johnny lee
My buddy Alston and I were in our local hobby shop last night and when we came into the shop there were two customers being helped by the owner. These guys didn't race on-road, but were into drag racing. Near the hobby shop they told us they have a strip of area about 245 feet that they drag race.

they said they bet anywhere from $100 to your whole car for each race. these racers pretty much run anything and everything. they had brought in b44.1s, tc6.1, and late models; vehicles not designed for drag racing but were modified in a way that would suggest that they wouldn't be utter garbage off the line.

this got alston and i thinking, what vehicle and setup would be optimal for putting the smack down on this type of challenge?

if anyone has experience in drag racing, please share with us chassis, electronics, tires, and body ideas. we may or may not get into it. but i'm so curious.

I was thinking that a 12th scale with a 2s saddle pack, pinks or magenta tires sauced and lit on fire with like a 4.0t/3.5t/3.0t motor would be the ticket.

we'd love to hear your inputs!
This what is being built for me as we speak, having a clutch put in it instead of direct drive.

Or,just use the XO-1

http://www.dragraceconcepts.com/A51-...STER-DC400.htm