R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-15-2012, 03:34 AM   #1
Tech Rookie
Default Appropriate gearing HPI Cup Racer

Hi guys, RC newbie here but learning fast built my second car in a month after the first Tamiya M-06..

I just built a HPI Cup Racer, its gonna be a rally car, Lancia Stratos but I got the Porsche body with it as well. I have maxed out the ride height on the arms and suspensions and I have ordered some larger wheels (like the Tamiya df-03 ones) for dirt use. I am currently running the standard Tamiya "tin -can" engine to wear in the drivetrain a little (is that logical? I come from a real-world car hobby and I am sort a cut & pasteing good practice...) but the hobby shop sold me a Robitronic 17.5 turns brushless set (I gather this pops more vroom than the "tin-can") but before I hook it up I was wondering about the gearing on the car, the shop had no clue as they had only sold one or two Cup Racers previously. Any of you guys got a good idea? Also, seeking tips on dust/dirt proofing the innards of the car for dirt track rides...
tamiyadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
Tech Rookie

There is alot of good info in the forum thread "new cup racer", I think that's kits title. It's on this website. It's quite a large thread and there is alot of guys with extensive knowledge that could help you out. Try finding it and reading through. Post there and someone will most likely reply. They're very helpful. I went with a brushless Sensorless system on men but I am hoping to get into drifting so that will be more suited to that style of driving. Brushless is the way. I went 10.5 turns and it's VERY fast, that's after I destined it. My system is by Duratrax. Very affordable and easy to program.
stu_bry is offline   Reply With Quote