Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lipo safety question. I dont want any fire

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Lipo safety question. I dont want any fire

I was attempting to cycle my new 2s LiPo and accidentally discharged it way below 3V per cell. I pulsed in on the charger a few times because it would not take a charge for longer than 10 seconds during each pulse. I accepted failure and went along with my day and then a few hours later it was able to accept a very slow charge (@ 2A) up above its nominal voltage.

Should I still be very worried about using this Lipo even though it is back in the acceptable volt range??
Has anybody ever been able resurrect a battery like this and still uses it??
Old 03-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by warnked
I was attempting to cycle my new 2s LiPo and accidentally discharged it way below 3V per cell. I pulsed in on the charger a few times because it would not take a charge for longer than 10 seconds during each pulse. I accepted failure and went along with my day and then a few hours later it was able to accept a very slow charge (@ 2A) up above its nominal voltage.

Should I still be very worried about using this Lipo even though it is back in the acceptable volt range??
I have known people manage to use batteries like that again, but I would be very careful when doing so, store it in a lipo bag away from anything when not in use and check when using.

Why did you cycle the cells? there is absolutely no need to do that sort of thing with lipo's.

Skiddins
Old 03-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Don't cross post please. I understand you want an answer but patience works well too.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-any-fire.html
Old 03-08-2012, 04:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Theirs no reason to "cycle" a Lipo. balance once and a while is all you'll need. discharging below 3.7 for an amount of time can cause internal cell damage. i'm sure the battery will still work. but it will be more resistant. heat up a little more and will have less "punch" may be noticeable, may not be. but if you keep doing it it will lower its life time
Old 03-09-2012, 04:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

the pack was new and i thought that it would be best to discharge the old factory charge before putting it through the rough style of a lap. I read that it was healthy to cycle a new lipo before use.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:04 AM
Tech Elite

...I read that it was healthy to cycle a new lipo before use.
Where did you read that?
Old 03-11-2012, 05:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

I cannot remember, somewhere on the internet, some forum probably. Nowhere worth citing. thanks for the support!
Old 03-11-2012, 06:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 280 (100%+)

the pack was new and i thought that it would be best to discharge the old factory charge before putting it through the rough style of a lap. I read that it was healthy to cycle a new lipo before use.
Probably what they meant by cycling was to run it thru a run (4-6 min.) cycle in the vehicle and then charge. Some guys will do a cycle every couple of months to see what the drop-off is with running and age.