Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VBC new 1/10 touring car, Wildfire.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 05:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

schreff, Ron...good to see you guys yesterday For the short amount of time you guys had on the track the VBC cars looked good. Hope to make it up to Horsham soon to hang should be fun.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I will be selling my Wildfire today I will post pictures later today if your intrested please message me.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:48 AM
Tech Initiate

that is good looking chassis
Old 08-26-2012, 12:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Anyone run this thing on carpet with any results yet?
Old 08-26-2012, 03:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NolanP
Give it a day or two.Think a Couple guys ran it this weekend on carpet.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NolanP
Hey Nolan,

Ron Goetter and I ran our cars at MRH in Maryland yesterday. Their track is pretty unique as it's quite small and pretty decent traction levels. Sweep 32s are the tire of choice.

As for setup advice, Ron and I went 2 completely different directions in setup and I think Ron's car is closer than mine to where we'd really want them to be.

My setup had the following (without filling out a setup sheet). This was with running 17.5 blinky class.

-Front End-
-0 degree arm sweep
-.5mm arm mount spacers
-stock camber link position
-stock ackerman spacing
-stock arm spacing
-40wt shock oil with 3 hole piston and VBC Orange spring
-Spool with VBC ECS shafts
-Sway bar disconnected
-5mm right height
-Droop 1.5mm above ride height
- -1 camber and .5 deg toe out

-Rear End-
-2 deg toe
-.5mm arm mount spacers
-camber link all the way in on the inner mount (longest hole on the inner mount) and inside on the hub with stock spacers
-stock arm mount spacing
-40wt oil with 3 hole piston and VBC Green Spring
-5.5mm ride height
-Droop 2mm above ride height
-Sway bar disconnected
-Gear diff with stock diff oil
- -2.5 camber

I ran the car without bars mainly because I like a car that responds very quick on center and this helped, but it was at the cost of stability. If I wasn't 100% on the wheel, it could lend itself to mistakes. I was on pace with the local crew the first time out and had a good TQ run going in the last round before I made a mistake. In the final, with starting 5th, made it very hard to make progress on such a tight track. There was really no way to pass unless the person in front of you made a mistake. I finished 5th, but was running 3rd for a bit before some incidents with other drivers.

For the first time out with the car on carpet, I still have some improvements to make on driving and definitely some changes to the setup of the car. The car responded really well to setup changes and it will only get better with more time.

As I said, Ron went another way on setup and his car was much easier to drive than mine, but I'm not soo sure about raw speed. We never got it on the clock with me driving, but it definitely felt good. I'll leave him to post info as I don't know everything on his car, but I know what he has won't end there.

We're supposed to be able to get into our home track, Horsham RC, this coming weekend and we're hoping to get traction levels high enough to do some more setup testing.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by schreff
Hey Nolan,

Ron Goetter and I ran our cars at MRH in Maryland yesterday. Their track is pretty unique as it's quite small and pretty decent traction levels. Sweep 32s are the tire of choice.

As for setup advice, Ron and I went 2 completely different directions in setup and I think Ron's car is closer than mine to where we'd really want them to be.

My setup had the following (without filling out a setup sheet). This was with running 17.5 blinky class.

-Front End-
-0 degree arm sweep
-.5mm arm mount spacers
-stock camber link position
-stock ackerman spacing
-stock arm spacing
-40wt shock oil with 3 hole piston and VBC Orange spring
-Spool with VBC ECS shafts
-Sway bar disconnected
-5mm right height
-Droop 1.5mm above ride height
- -1 camber and .5 deg toe out

-Rear End-
-2 deg toe
-.5mm arm mount spacers
-camber link all the way in on the inner mount (longest hole on the inner mount) and inside on the hub with stock spacers
-stock arm mount spacing
-40wt oil with 3 hole piston and VBC Green Spring
-5.5mm ride height
-Sway bar disconnected
-Gear diff with stock diff oil
- -2.5 camber

I ran the car without bars mainly because I like a car that responds very quick on center and this helped, but it was at the cost of stability. If I wasn't 100% on the wheel, it could lend itself to mistakes. I was on pace with the local crew the first time out and had a good TQ run going in the last round before I made a mistake. In the final, with starting 5th, made it very hard to make progress on such a tight track. There was really no way to pass unless the person in front of you made a mistake. I finished 5th, but was running 3rd for a bit before some incidents with other drivers.

For the first time out with the car on carpet, I still have some improvements to make on driving and definitely some changes to the setup of the car. The car responded really well to setup changes and it will only get better with more time.

As I said, Ron went another way on setup and his car was much easier to drive than mine, but I'm not soo sure about raw speed. We never got it on the clock with me driving, but it definitely felt good. I'll leave him to post info as I don't know everything on his car, but I know what he has won't end there.

We're supposed to be able to get into our home track, Horsham RC, this coming weekend and we're hoping to get traction levels high enough to do some more setup testing.
K sounds good. I don't have one yet just want opinion as after watching Dave Johnson and Andrew Knapp drive around me as well as almost everyone else I know the car is good on asphalt but asphalt season is coming to a close and Carpet is coming near.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Originally Posted by schreff

-Front End-
-0 degree arm sweep
-.5mm arm mount spacers
-stock camber link position2nd hole in on inner mount
-stock ackerman spacingarm centered(2mm front and rear
-stock arm spacing
-40wt shock oil with 3 hole piston and VBC Orange spring700cst oil 3 hole pistons w/xray 3.0 springs
-Spool with VBC ECS shaftslocked gear diff with VBC ECS shafts
-Sway bar disconnected1.5mm xray bar to run this bar you must put a .5mm shim between the bulkhead and sway bar mount
-5mm right height
-Droop 1.5mm above ride height2mm above
- -1 camber and .5 deg toe out-2* camber 1* toe out
shock 4 holes out on tower stock on arm
-Rear End-
-2 deg toe
-.5mm arm mount spacers
-stock arm mount spacing
-40wt oil with 3 hole piston and VBC Green Spring700 cst w/ 3 hole pistons and Xray 2.6 spring
-5.5mm ride height
-Sway bar disconnectedVBC green bar
-Gear diff with stock diff oil1000cst oil
- -2.5 camber-1 3/4* camber
2nd hole out on tower and stock on arm
I posted my setup changes in red. As Schreff said my car was very easy to drive and fast. I was able to do with in .2 seconds of hot lap with it. I will be changing it a bit more to get more overall steering out of it. This setup will most likely become my base setup as I really liked how it felt.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Great info guys. I was wondering where I should start with springs for carpet. Ron, why the Xray springs? Do you feel they are better than the VBC springs? Or just have them on hand already?
Old 08-26-2012, 06:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Odin544
Great info guys. I was wondering where I should start with springs for carpet. Ron, why the Xray springs? Do you feel they are better than the VBC springs? Or just have them on hand already?
I was running a Xray before this car and have a full set of them.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Had the privilege of racing with Ron and Schreff this weekend. Both cars did look good with Jason's car looking a little edgy (probably because of the sway bars) Good to see both of them at the track doing well with the new car. Jason was definitely fast and stuck on the tail of the leaders for quite a while. Lap traffic and small taps were usually enough to send the leaders from 1st to 5th in no time. For the first time on carpet with the car, they were both pretty impressive. VBC has some great racers here.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default Wildfire

You guys break any parts yet? Does the car seem as durable as an Xray? Thanks!
Old 08-26-2012, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

I know that you need to watch the belts tension.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by haywood
From the past couple weeks and seeing the hits this car can take, it's pretty darn strong. I haven't broken anything yet, even without running a servo saver. As far as Xray strength, time will tell. I think it's very close.

I have seen a caster block break when Ron creamed a chicane. Others have broken steering blocks and rear hubs. These were very big hits. The arms are very strong.

Also, the stock belts are definitely soft. They stretch fast. They're ok for slower classes and you have to make sure they're not too loose, but for higher power classes and people that love a lot of brakes my want to get the Type R belts.

From the looks of it, a caster block will snap before anything else, which is about par for the coarse with most cars.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by haywood
I would honestly say the car is very very close to if not as strong as an Xray. I watched another Xray cream the Chicane I Creamed to break the C-hub with the same out come only it cost him the C-hub and steering block.

As for the belts as long as you run them on the tighter side and keep them from slipping they will last. I had my belts very loose to were they slipped and once they slipped which was totally my fault the teeth rounded and I ended up putting new belts on stop the slipping. Schreff has his belts a little tighter then mine were and his have been fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.