Wiki Posts
Search

Tire Treatment Methods

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 07:55 AM
Tech Adept

Default Tire Treatment Methods

Hi everyone

I'm after some advice, or rather just interested to hear your own personal methods.

Before we start, I'm well aware that the methods may well be different for different types of tire, track, track condition etc etc and that this is also a useful tuning aid.

So basically I'm looking for what is your 'usual' or starting point for additiving and warming your tires - for outdoor circuits please.

Do you clean the tire first (and if so, what with)?
What additive do you use?
Do you put tire warmers on straight after applying additive?
What temperature?
And for how long?

Thanks

Mark
Old 04-21-2010, 08:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Good questions--- it's different for foam or rubber also---you're asking for outdoor--so I'll assume asphalt surface. Carpet and concrete make for different preps again.

Foam--- be sure their clean--then use Jack the Gripper sauce 15 minutes before racing--dry off with good clean rag.

If plenty of time before running-- and needing more grip--sometimes use Coppertone 30 --coated heavily onto tires---allowed to sit as long as possible--then wiped dry with clean rag.

Rubber-- clean with Simple Green or "Goof Off"--then soak with Jack the Gripper for 20 minutes before running--dry off with good clean rag. I've also used the new Sweep tire sauces to good affect outdoors as well as TQ.

no tire warmers.
FWIW
Tim
Old 04-21-2010, 08:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

indoors Rubber :- LRP carpet, full rear and any where from ½ to full front depending on grip levels and steering i want/need for about 15 to 20 mins , then clean and drive

Indoors Foam(F1) :- LRP carpet, full rear and half front for about 30 mins again depending on grip levels , then clean and drive

Outdoors Rubber :- LRP Asphalt or marc Reinhard , full rear and full front , for around 20 to 30 mins and tyre warmers on full for 10 mins the turned down to 60 degrees for the rest of the time ,then clean and drive

the Reinhard addative is better on clean tracks LRP is better for dirtyer tracks , sometimes not smearing at all if the track is really dirty

As for cleaning i always clean with an aerosol brakecleaner and a clean cloth
Old 04-21-2010, 08:24 AM
Tech Adept

Nosram asphalt:

Clean tyre with brake cleaner (non-accetone stuff).
put on some asphalt addative (full coverage, but not to much)
Add fresh kitchen roll to tyres and place warmers on at 45 degrees on warm day, 60 on cold.
Heat for 20 minutes
remove warmers and tissue (tyres should now be almost dry of any addative)
wipe over with a clean rag
Reapply warmers for last 5 mins before you race

super tacky tyres
Old 04-21-2010, 09:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Has anyone used motor oil to bake the tires?
Old 04-21-2010, 10:11 AM
Tech Addict

The majority of the popular outdoor additives(tweak ,reinhard) are based from engine oil
Old 07-03-2010, 12:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Im headed for a practice in afew minutes. its an indoor carpet track, and im looking for tires. I have a boat load of practice slicks that were included with the deal i got on the car. I have a can of WD-40 on hand for cleaning and i will buy some treatment for $13 bux. OR im looking at buying HPI x patterns for $11, which are soft and treaded, and wudnt need any cleaning or treatement.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

nothing
Old 07-03-2010, 01:06 PM
Tech Regular

I run primarily on asphalt parking lots. I don't have tire warmers.

* Clean with Simple Green or Buggy Grip

* Sauce with Tyre Tweak, Buggy Grip, or WD40. Full rear/ Half front as steering is'nt usually a problem. Coat tires and leave 20mins+. Remove excess with a clean towel just before run. Enjoy with strong coffee

Rob..........
Old 07-03-2010, 01:09 PM
Tech Addict

so WD-40 is for grip and not cleaning
Old 07-03-2010, 01:12 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JKL1031
Im headed for a practice in afew minutes. its an indoor carpet track, and im looking for tires. I have a boat load of practice slicks that were included with the deal i got on the car. I have a can of WD-40 on hand for cleaning and i will buy some treatment for $13 bux. OR im looking at buying HPI x patterns for $11, which are soft and treaded, and wudnt need any cleaning or treatement.

Any suggestions?
WD is good, but you probably want to clean them with something before you apply it.

I have'nt run the X patterns, although my son runs an 18r with 3Racing treaded tyres. They like to be cleaned and sauced. Simple Green then Sticky Kicks worked pretty good. Buggy Grip also works.

Rob.......
Old 07-03-2010, 01:16 PM
Tech Regular

so WD-40 is for grip and not cleaning
I know some use it for both. I believe it does have some solvent properties so it does clean. It's not a lubricant as some think.

Rob......
Old 07-03-2010, 03:11 PM
Tech Addict

Mann it doesn't matter, I'm MUCH faster than last time. I don't know if it's the wd40 or not but it's working great for me. Last time in was using tire treatment.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Tech Champion

Using foams at my local high bite indoor carpet track, I apply CS grip about 20 minutes before the first round of qualifying, and nothing after that as the grip is there after all the heats of the first round have run.

After 3 rounds of qualifying, the groove is seen and the laptimes just keep getting better and better...
Old 07-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Tech Regular

Mann it doesn't matter, I'm MUCH faster than last time. I don't know if it's the wd40 or not but it's working great for me. Last time in was using tire treatment.
Super cool!! Sounds like you found what works. A few guys I know swear by it.

I'm sure we sometimes we think too hard about stuff If it works, it's good.............

Rob.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.