Wiki Posts
Search

Batteries - Race Program

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 10:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Batteries - Race Program

Can someone plese explain their typical race rotation for their batteries?

How many times can you use a pack in a one day?

Do you peak charge before the race?

After you race, what do you do to your batteries(discharge/leave them,etc..)?

Any other information you would find helpful would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Charley
Old 01-17-2005, 10:17 AM
Tech Master

Here is my typical routine for race day. I take my batteries out and oput them on a tray for about 10 minutes. I have and integy indi octane modified for zero cut off. after that I put the cells on charge. I use a pro-trak which uses multiphasic charge. Mine is setup for 4.5-6.5-4.5. 1000 ma first and second phases and the third phase is to peak. I race them then discharge to 5.4 and put them away.

John
Old 01-17-2005, 10:29 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks very much...

Charley
Old 01-17-2005, 01:47 PM
Tech Addict

I race stock so heres what i do. I charger my batterys at 7 amps. to get that punch i need. I then run my main or qualifier. When i get off the track i put the batterys on my Integy INDI 030 discharger, which discharges at 30 amps. I leave them on the tray till the battersy come back to room temperature. I discharge them down to 0. So then the next time i charge them they all get an equal charge and start at the same voltage. It also keeps the batteries in shape. If you store your batteries, I usually leave no voltage in them. The reason is since the voltage changes by temperature like when it gets cool it looses voltage ect. If they have no voltage you dont have to worry about the voltage in them. Just another tip for you. I use the battery im going to use for the main for my first qualifier then use my second best battery for the second qualifier. Then use my first pack that i used for the main. This lets the best pack get working correctly before the main race. Any more questions just post them.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:13 PM
Tech Addict

Great info.. Thanks very much..

Charley
Old 01-17-2005, 04:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I use my race packs only once per day and my practice packs twice if necessary.

After running the pack in the car I'd discharge it to 5.4V @10A, then Ill tray it with a Trinity 2.5 until all the lights go out.Then I store them till the next charge.
Before charging I'd put them into another Robitronics tray with cut-off (takes at least 2-3hrs)when the lights dim, it's time to charge.
I try to time the charge to end at when I'm going to need them, but usually i charge at home and repeak at the track.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:03 PM
Tech Addict

It's ok to store Nimh's with no charge in them?
Old 01-18-2005, 03:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Better than with a charge usually... the less the better....
Old 01-18-2005, 09:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I race stock so:

Charge pack at 7A with a delta peak of 10mV.
Use any particular race pack once a day only (practice packs two or three times a day)
Discharge pack to zero on a tray, then dead short once the pack is a room temp on the tray. Dead shorting lowers the internal resistance giving you better punch, but it lowers you run time. If you run Mod then keep 1000mAh in them when you store them.

That's about it. Good luck.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:39 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks, guys.. All great advice.

Charley
Old 01-18-2005, 05:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

This is strait from the Fukuyama tech section of the website. I follow this exactly and I have packs that are a year old that are still in good shape. This is the process we reccomend to our customers.

Charging Battery Pack:

During your initial charge for race day, we recommend you equalize the cells on a tray so all cells are at .90 volts before charging begins. We use our Competition Electronics Turbo 35 GFX to charge but other chargers will work Please make sure your charger is capable of charging Nimh cell and is set to run linear charge interface. Turbo flex or FLEX CHARGING is to be turned off or disabled during the charge on Nimh. If you charger has trickle charge for NiCad, it will also need to be turned off or disabled. We have been using a linear 6 amp charge rate with very good results. But a 5 amp charge will give you a slightly more runtime. For maximum performance, we suggest you to peak just before your race. If it has been sitting for more than 30 minutes, repeak with the same setup as the initial charge. If it's been sitting for 5 minutes or less you can repeak it with a .01( 10 mv ) peak detect.

Peak detect cut-off ( voltage threshold ):
We suggest a .05 ( 50 mv ) for 6 cell packs.
We suggest a .03 ( 30 mv ) for 4 cell packs.

You cells should be warm to slightly hot but not burning hot. To determine this, the temperature should be between 135f to 155F. If the temperature reaches above 155F, it is suggested that you shut off your charger or turn down your peak detection. Charged packs should be right before you race while the pack is still warm. Warning!: Over-charging your cells will damage them or shorten it’s lifespan. Always charge your cells away from flammables and leave open spaces at to vent around the pack during charge.

*Important update!*

Lately, it has been brought to our attention that another renowned matcher has suggested DEADSHORTING the packs. While this may seem like a good idea to most but some racers are unaware of the consequences if done wrong. First, each and every cell has to be brought down to 0.00 volts. This is not an easy task since as soon as you lift the pack off the discharging tray, the chemicals inside the cells will react and come back to life gradually filling back up. This will cause you to short the packs and ruining the cells internal structure. Second, the voltage gain is very slight and you risk loosing valuable runtime in the process. Third, fires or sparks may cause injuries due to shorting out a pack with voltage still in it. Fukuyama Racing does not suggest you DEADSHORTING the cells to gain that ever-so-slight increase in voltage and taking a risk that yields no benefit other than following what other risk takers are doing. USE YOUR OWN JUDGMENTS AND AT YOUR OWN RISK. WARNING!: FUKUYAMA RACING WILL NOT ASSUME ANY LIABILITIES NOR TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILITIES FOR DEADSHORTING THE CELLS.

Discharge & Storing Battery Pack:
At the end of the race day, discharge the pack down to .90 volts per cell. This equals to 5.40 for a 6 cell pack or 3.60 for a 4 cell pack. Let the pack rest until the next time you plan on using them. You do not need to place them on the tray. You can store it without any charge on these newer GP 3300. WARNING!: MAKE SURE YOUR CELLS HAVE COOLED COMPLETELY BEFORE STORING THEM IN A CASE OR BOX.

Cycling:
We do not suggest cycling your packs simply because it yield no benefit except making your packs work an extra cycle. We do however suggest that when cycling, make sure the packs have adequate time to cool before discharging. A quick cycling method will most likely hurt your cells because of heat.

If you have any questions about Fukuyama Racing Battery pack, feel free to call us at 1-626-442-6683 during business hours or email us at [email protected]. Our technicians are more than happy to answer your questions.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:35 PM
Tech Addict

Will most chargers discharge the batteries down to .90v per cell or do I need a discharger to do that? Can the dischargers be set to only discharge to .90 volts per cell? The Integy ones I saw only went down to 0 volts.

Thanks,

Charley
Old 01-18-2005, 09:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Get yourself a Novak Smart tray or the Rayspeed tray. They cutoff at .9v per cell. Those are the two we recommend.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:58 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks,

Charley