Motor Cooling Fans

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motor Cooling Fans

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 11:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Im using the Much More fan and i have it connected to the ESC. Only drawback is the fan's starts when u connect the batteries.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Put a switch on the fan.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Fan Glitch

Tried a 5.0V fan with my Novak Synth receiver (wired into receiver) but was met with monster glitch. No prob.s with my PCM receiver. Is there a way to lose the glitch?...hard wire?....capacitors??? Anyone have any, electrical sense....I don't!?
Old 01-24-2005, 01:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I've used a Reedy (Associated) fan part #448 in a Novak XXTRA as well as JR 300 and 310 receivers without any glitching whatsoever, with LRP Q2 and ICS speed controls, in both stock and mod. That doesn't help with your problem; could you test with another XXTRA?
Old 01-24-2005, 01:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The idea of having the fan there for stock is that most people run epic based ( monsters etc...) and one of the downsides is that half way through a run your brushes would actually get too hot. This would make your car feel flat...top end wouldnt be hurt too much but you would loose that snap out of corners. I actually think that the closer you put the fan to the end bell the better.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:46 PM
Tech Addict

Default You aren't very reasonable now are you? lol

I am trying to learn about RC. It is difficult to learn if you do not know what information is reliable, what is anecdotal and what is base on tests with the proper controls.

From the responses I get every time I raise this issue it appears I am beating a dead horse.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

imjonah,
If you're trying to learn about RC, I suggest talk with people. That's why were all here. Ask questions, read tests, reviews, tips... etc. Don't just jump in and give you're political speech on the lack of science in this hobby. It's supposed to be fun. It's not always, but it's what you make of it.

I would also suggest trial and error. I can go with whatever set-up the pros suggest, but if I don't go out and make my own curious changes on my cars one degree or one mm at a time, I'll never know if the effects would've/could've been benefical to me ... and then pass my findings to the next guy and vice versa.

BTW, I'm totally against animal cruelty ... especially to dead ones. lol (that means "lots-of-laughs", buddy)
Old 01-26-2005, 06:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I use 30 & 40mm fans on all my cars (TC3, TC4, XXXs, STR4) with good results. I wire directly to the BEC of the receiver.

I also use a "SuperCooler" on the motors for "PRE-RACE" cooling with great results.
It can be quite an advantage to start a race with a 30F degree motor on 90F degree day!
Attached Thumbnails Motor Cooling Fans-supersupercooler7.jpg  
Old 01-26-2005, 07:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I finally got my fan mounted on my mi2... gonna test it at the birds..

Last edited by brians11; 09-21-2007 at 08:30 AM.