Wiki Posts
Search

Field Of Career in RC world?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 01:21 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JamesL_71
Things that might be of interest to you... Ive always wanted to see a miniature shock dyno for RC cars.
I would kill for one that actually worked.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

There is a shock balancer. Not sure where I saw it.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Not the same thing and pretty much useless. An actual shock dyno that worked would be several thousand dollars.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
If you are talking about the Losi shock tool, then no that is not the same as a shock dynamometer. All that tool does is allow you to match the overall rebound position of the shocks.

A real dyno will be able to take force v velocity and force v position plots over the entire compression and rebound strokes of the damper.

Originally Posted by wingracer
I would kill for one that actually worked.
Seriously...
Old 03-02-2012, 05:09 AM
Tech Master

It depends on what you want to do, I presume as it is Hudy you want to follow then it is the chassis building which interests you rather than the electronics side of the business. For education, a degree in mechanical engineering would be the best start and will give you a good base to start from. I studied automotive engineering at university which you would think might be ideal, but there is very little that translates to r/c cars and the more general mechanical engineering will be better.

Knowledge of cad is useful in designing parts and when you come to mass produce cars, but you will learn more about car design and development by actually building the cars yourself. Before Juraj Hudy set up Xray he had been building r/c cars by hand and selling them for 25 years so had plenty of experience to look back on.

You might find these links interesting.
Juraj Hudys background before establishing Xray.
Juraj Hudys regular behind the scenes column. There are links to the earlier columns at the bottom of the link. By reading them you will get an idea of what work goes into each design, that a lot of it is trial and error by producing many slightly different parts then trying them on a track to see which works best rather than just designing the parts, and some background to how Xray produce the cars.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by terry.sc
It depends on what you want to do, I presume as it is Hudy you want to follow then it is the chassis building which interests you rather than the electronics side of the business. For education, a degree in mechanical engineering would be the best start and will give you a good base to start from. I studied automotive engineering at university which you would think might be ideal, but there is very little that translates to r/c cars and the more general mechanical engineering will be better.

Knowledge of cad is useful in designing parts and when you come to mass produce cars, but you will learn more about car design and development by actually building the cars yourself. Before Juraj Hudy set up Xray he had been building r/c cars by hand and selling them for 25 years so had plenty of experience to look back on.

You might find these links interesting.
Juraj Hudys background before establishing Xray.
Juraj Hudys regular behind the scenes column. There are links to the earlier columns at the bottom of the link. By reading them you will get an idea of what work goes into each design, that a lot of it is trial and error by producing many slightly different parts then trying them on a track to see which works best rather than just designing the parts, and some background to how Xray produce the cars.
thats it! thanks dude!

by the way, im thinking to experimental on my own design, so what type of CAD programme that i need? thanks
Old 03-02-2012, 05:45 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Ariel Reds
by the way, im thinking to experimental on my own design, so what type of CAD programme that i need? thanks
I would suggest Solidworks is the way to go, after all it is what Team Associated use.

I would also suggest looking at making your own parts rather than drawing them in cad and then sending the files to a company to machine them for you, so you learn about the different materials and how to use them - for one offs you don't need to make everything in 7075 T6 alloy and carbon fibre - polycarbonate, acetal and hand cut carbon sheet will usually do just fine. You don't need much equipment, this is what G-Made started with to make his first cars and after learning how to design and develop crawler chassis he then went into cad and started producing crawlers. Gene Husting also built the first RC10 cars by hand, all the early buggies predate cad/cam by some time.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:31 PM
Tech Adept

wow okay

i might doing on my own way, mix and match method, see how its going from there, I'll try to upgrade based on the test as i dont have any budget (still a school student) and will try to make it real!
Old 03-03-2012, 07:02 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by terry.sc
You don't need much equipment, this is what G-Made started with to make his first cars and after learning how to design and develop crawler chassis he then went into cad and started producing crawlers.
Sweet merciful christ... that guy has some INCREDIBLE skills and patience. The level of accuracy and detail he accomplishes on some of those projects, all while using hand tools to cut and finish some of the pieces. Wow. Very impressive... obviously very talented and dedicated to his work.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:04 AM
Tech Master

wow okay

i might doing on my own way, mix and match method, see how its going from there, I'll try to upgrade based on the test as i dont have any budget (still a school student) and will try to make it real!
When you say school student, what do you mean? College/University level?

If so, you may be able to befriend someone with access to your school's machine shop, etc. That could potentially be your best bet for access to equipment if you are financially constrained.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Tech Adept

i mean school not college or university.

I cant find Solidswork CAD program at my place, there is Autodesk Inventor LT 2012, should I go for it?
Old 03-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wingracer
Sweet. I've never done it but I know some people that have and have some autocross experience. A little suggestion for you. Don't get too caught up in design. Get the thing built and ready to go as soon as possible. Then find the best driver you can and TEST TEST TEST. In that style of event, the driver is BY FAR the biggest factor. I've seen bad cars with great drivers win and great cars with inexperienced drivers lose miserably.

Great little article about it:

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets21.html
True, I've always told my colleagues it's better to have a simple conventional car ready months before competition than to get lost in revoutionary ideas. Testing is the best solution and it's never wasted. A good driver is also important, however I find the presentation to be more important as more points are gained (I hope you understand what I'm talking about). From my experience of Formula Student competition (for example, finals in Silverstone), I don't remember the fastest team winning any time. We have a much smaller budget than perhaps teams from Germany but we often have a much better presentation in which we gain points. The idea of the competition is to make a sort of trackday/autocross car for costumers, with our car being probably a little slower but much cheaper and often reliable

Sorry for the offtopic, but I believe this also has a place in this discussion
Old 03-04-2012, 12:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

i mean school not college or university.

I cant find Solidswork CAD program at my place, there is Autodesk Inventor LT 2012, should I go for it?
I think it would be beneficial for you to pick up their student version of Inventor for free.

I've worked with Solidworks and now taking a class that utilizes Inventor 2011. It took me a couple of classes to familiarize myself with where to find things in inventor but once I did, I find them to be quite similar.