Wiki Posts
Search

hobbywing ezrun35a esc shutting down

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default hobbywing ezrun35a esc shutting down

guys i'm new back into the hobby from being off for 7 or so years. so a lot has changed. i picked up a tamiya mini at our local track to get back into it. its a spec class, they run the hobbywing ezrun 35a and 13T motor combo with orion 2400mah lipo batteries.

last night in both of my qualifiers within 2 min, the motor shut down for 10 to 15 seconds. both times it happened coming out of a tight corner and going full out. the car still has full control over the steering the entire time. after that, the motor would start again, but i'd have to reset the esc, both the button setup for neutral throttle and reverse, and the profile for punch and so on. i reset the esc on the stand both times, just ran the default profile and got thru the rest of the race without any issues....the car never felt hot after any of the runs. the motor esc combo is 2 months old and raced on weekends.

any ideas? i still have the fan on the esc. my set-up is a m-05 chassis, the above motor, esc and battery, along with a airtronics 2.4ghz receiver and hitech hs325hb servo
Old 03-03-2012, 09:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by steve_40
guys i'm new back into the hobby from being off for 7 or so years. so a lot has changed. i picked up a tamiya mini at our local track to get back into it. its a spec class, they run the hobbywing ezrun 35a and 13T motor combo with orion 2400mah lipo batteries.

last night in both of my qualifiers within 2 min, the motor shut down for 10 to 15 seconds. both times it happened coming out of a tight corner and going full out. the car still has full control over the steering the entire time. after that, the motor would start again, but i'd have to reset the esc, both the button setup for neutral throttle and reverse, and the profile for punch and so on. i reset the esc on the stand both times, just ran the default profile and got thru the rest of the race without any issues....the car never felt hot after any of the runs. the motor esc combo is 2 months old and raced on weekends.

any ideas? i still have the fan on the esc. my set-up is a m-05 chassis, the above motor, esc and battery, along with a airtronics 2.4ghz receiver and hitech hs325hb servo
I also had this problem three times. the first time it was from a servo being to strong and killing the power to the receiver (lost all control) and the second time was a bad receiver (lost all control) and the third time it was reading false thermal (loss of motor). what i did for that was took the bottom case off the esc. made cleaned very clean (just used brake cleaner and a new tooth brush) and put new thermal past on the 2 little heat sinks on the bottom. Make sure you put the case back on the right way.

it also could be detecting "low voltage cutoff" try turning that off for 1 race and see if that helps first.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:39 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

ok, thanks, i'll take a look at the case and try the cut off....i take it the thermal protection is on the esc and not the motor?

can low voltage be cause under a high load and accel?
Old 03-03-2012, 11:04 AM
Tech Adept

ok, thanks, i'll take a look at the case and try the cut off....i take it the thermal protection is on the esc and not the motor?

Spektrum recievers can go into failsafe mode if the voltage drops momenterly. This maybe happening to you as leaving a corner you will be on full steering and throttle. Try a power cap plugged into your reciever
Old 03-03-2012, 04:35 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by markrobinson
Spektrum recievers can go into failsafe mode if the voltage drops momenterly. This maybe happening to you as leaving a corner you will be on full steering and throttle. Try a power cap plugged into your reciever
Not likely with a hobbywing 13t. and in failsafe you lose all control including steering. also a hobbywing ezrun boots up in a fraction of a second. throttle would most like chatter. not be gone for 15 seconds.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Tech Regular

yes. it's in the esc. the 13t motor has no censor or censor board of any kind in it. all it knows is that power goes through it. also if i remember correctly you can turn thermal protection off. but i do remember trying that when mine kept false thermaling and it had no effect until i cleaned the esc and put new thermal paste in it.

and any local electronic store like "the source" should have thermal paste if you need to buy some.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:06 PM
Tech Elite

You have a receiver issue please check the rx connection to your receiver.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:26 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by COBRARACING
You have a receiver issue please check the rx connection to your receiver.
when mine glitched out to i thought it also was the receiver. but it wasn't just cleaned out the esc and some thermal paste and its working fine ever since. i got my HW ezrun like 3 years ago. raced it (2wd SC) and bashed with it (some jumps well over 15ft) and its still going strong. for the price of this system i say everyone must have one. they're great and take a beating.